• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• darrenj

• Titanic Eagle

Oldtitan please elaborate on some of the tactics that they might do or please don't say that!

Hmmm quite the concern we have here, don't we?  8-)

Oldtitan please elaborate on some of the tactics that they might do or please don't say that!

A search of relevant articles from 2006 through 2008 by Bill Haisten (and others) at Tulsa World.com, and message board posts on insidetulsasports.com, orusports.com, and gregswaim.com would provide volumes of data for anyone interested in revisiting the topic.

Old news, though.

I'm far more intrigued by what the immediate future holds for ORU and Arkansas basketball, respectively.  8-)

Not sure what Rotnei has to do with ORU BB anymore Birdnest.

Great kid and doing well at Ark. and wish him the best.

Going to be a tough year there as the SEC is always a great conference.

Hey, I'm an ORU alum and Arkansas fan who checks in here about once every 6 months and what's on the top of the board:  Arkansas basketball.  A few notes:

Before you throw stones at Patrick Beverly and Arkansas, I might point out that at ORU I took classes with a well-known basketball player.  He and a couple other students took their tests in a side room and he would walk out 5 minutes after the test started and the other guys would turn in his test for him.  But he was probably just a really fast tester.

Patrick Beverly LOVED Stan Heath, never warmed up to Pelphrey, and wasn't all that good in his one year with Pelphrey.

Stan Heath was given a vote of confidence a couple weeks before being fired, so I wouldn't take Pelphrey's extension too seriously.  That's just done so he can promise recruits that he'll still be around in a few years.  Stan Heath was fired because UA had reached an agreement with Billy Gillispie (oops).  If there's a better prospect out there, they won't hesitate to get rid of Pelphrey.  Don't know if they want to be paying 3 coaches at the same time again, though.  Don't think they'd fire Pelphrey for Scott Sutton, but if Pelphrey is fired for other reasons, Scott could be a candidate.

Arkansas fans have an unreasonable love for Rotnei.  They think he should shoot about 60 times a game and don't like it if other guards shoot. 

Arkansas fans have an unreasonable love for Rotnei.  They think he should shoot about 60 times a game and don't like it if other guards shoot. 

If that's the case then Rotnei is right where he should be.  He seems to have that effect on fans wherever he plays.

Hey, I'm an ORU alum and Arkansas fan who checks in here about once every 6 months and what's on the top of the board:  Arkansas basketball. 

I sure hope that's "Hey, I'm an ORU alum/fan and an Arkansas fan..."

Good post, hope to see you around here more than once every 6 months!  :-)

If that's the case then Rotnei is right where he should be.  He seems to have that effect on fans wherever he plays.

What's funny is that Rotnei's dad gets on the hog message boards and joins right in complaining that Rotnei doesn't get to shoot enough and the other guards aren't passing him the ball.

Before you throw stones at Patrick Beverly and Arkansas, I might point out that at ORU I took classes with a well-known basketball player.  He and a couple other students took their tests in a side room and he would walk out 5 minutes after the test started and the other guys would turn in his test for him.  But he was probably just a really fast tester.

Who's throwing stones at Patrick Beverly? 

Beverly himself was the person making accusations about academic improprieties at Arkansas (see first link in this thread).

Looks like he's the one doing the stone-throwing...  :-P

Hey, I'm an ORU alum and Arkansas fan who checks in here about once every 6 months and what's on the top of the board:  Arkansas basketball.  A few notes:

Patrick Beverly LOVED Stan Heath, never warmed up to Pelphrey, and wasn't all that good in his one year with Pelphrey.

Stan Heath was given a vote of confidence a couple weeks before being fired, so I wouldn't take Pelphrey's extension too seriously.  That's just done so he can promise recruits that he'll still be around in a few years.  Stan Heath was fired because UA had reached an agreement with Billy Gillispie (oops).  If there's a better prospect out there, they won't hesitate to get rid of Pelphrey.  Don't know if they want to be paying 3 coaches at the same time again, though.  Don't think they'd fire Pelphrey for Scott Sutton, but if Pelphrey is fired for other reasons, Scott could be a candidate.

Thanks for your insightful and informative post...any thoughts on Arkansas' ability for forgive and forget Billy Clyde for flirting with the Hogs when clearly he was hoping the UK gig would fall in his lap (as it ultimately did)...we all know how that worked out and while I don't think BCG regrets his time in Lexington I do think he would be a great fit in Fayetteville, and perhaps in hindsight now he realizes that too.

Your thoughts?

...any thoughts on Arkansas' ability for forgive and forget Billy Clyde for flirting with the Hogs when clearly he was hoping the UK gig would fall in his lap (as it ultimately did)...we all know how that worked out and while I don't think BCG regrets his time in Lexington I do think he would be a great fit in Fayetteville, and perhaps in hindsight now he realizes that too.

The insiders/administrators may think differently, but I don't think the Arkansas flirtation hurts him as much as the fact that he's no longer the hot coach.  If he works magic at another place and regains his rep for quickly turning around a program, I think he'd be welcomed back here.

Funny thing is that when Kentucky legend Pelphrey was hired, fans were afraid they'd lose him to Kentucky in a few years.  But Billy Clyde got fired after Pelphrey had a rotten year here, and no one is thinking Pelphrey is a hot commodity who will be lured away. 

I hated to see Stan Heath go.  We went to church together, my son played on teams with his kids, and he was a really nice guy.  My wife liked him too.  I'm neutral on Pelphrey, but my wife can't stand his foul mouth and antics and really doesn't like him.

I played pickup ball with Mike Anderson for years and when my then 5 year old son met Mike we said "you can be a Razorback and play for Mike".  At one point, Mike said Coach Richardson told him he'd coach another 5 years before handing the reins over.  About 3 years into that, Nolan got fired and Mike had to move on.

In other words, I'd like to see Mike Anderson or Stan Heath still here.  But there's nothing unusual about coaches getting fired.

The insiders/administrators may think differently, but I don't think the Arkansas flirtation hurts him as much as the fact that he's no longer the hot coach.  If he works magic at another place and regains his rep for quickly turning around a program, I think he'd be welcomed back here.

In other words, I'd like to see Mike Anderson or Stan Heath still here.  But there's nothing unusual about coaches getting fired.

Fair enough and thank you for your sharing your thoughts...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how you schedule when you're coming off a disastrous '08-'09 campaign:

Arkansas Men's Basketball 2009-2010 Non-Conference Schedule

Home/Neutral Games in ALL CAPS

DILLARD (exhibition)

LEMOYNE-OWEN (exhibition)

ALCORN STATE

vs. LOUISVILLE (in St. Louis)

at Oklahoma

SOUTH ALABAMA

MISSOURI STATE

APPALACHIAN STATE

MORGAN STATE

EAST TENNESSEE STATE

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE

DELAWARE STATE

ALABAMA STATE

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

vs. BAYLOR (in Little Rock)

ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM

TEXAS

14 of 17 non-conference games in Fayetteville (that can't have been cheap to buy)

1 game in Little Rock, 1 in St. Louis (both places will have tons of Arkansas fans)

one road game - a 3-hour bus trip to Norman.

Talk about padding the ol' record - but how does that prepare a team for the rigors of SEC play, especially on the road?

P.S.  Conspicuously absent (because, like ORU, they're no pushover) - former annual rival Missouri.

Arkansas Non-Conference Schedule Includes 3 Big XII Teams

Geez....that IS a pathetic schedule....isn't Dillard's a department store chain?....but I guess those guys in the women's shoe dept.  can really shoot the 3-ball..... :-D

Sounds like a good chance for #15 to pad the stats!  :wink:

With a lot of turnover the easy schedule should help players gel in a winning environment and maybe help team chemistry down the road in conference play.

Here's how you schedule when you're coming off a disastrous '08-'09 campaign:

Arkansas Men's Basketball 2009-2010 Non-Conference Schedule

Home/Neutral Games in ALL CAPS

DILLARD (exhibition)

LEMOYNE-OWEN (exhibition)

ALCORN STATE

vs. LOUISVILLE (in St. Louis)

at Oklahoma

SOUTH ALABAMA

MISSOURI STATE

APPALACHIAN STATE

MORGAN STATE

EAST TENNESSEE STATE

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE

DELAWARE STATE

ALABAMA STATE

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

vs. BAYLOR (in Little Rock)

ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM

TEXAS

14 of 17 non-conference games in Fayetteville (that can't have been cheap to buy)

1 game in Little Rock, 1 in St. Louis (both places will have tons of Arkansas fans)

one road game - a 3-hour bus trip to Norman.

Talk about padding the ol' record - but how does that prepare a team for the rigors of SEC play, especially on the road?

P.S.  Conspicuously absent (because, like ORU, they're no pushover) - former annual rival Missouri.

Arkansas Non-Conference Schedule Includes 3 Big XII Teams

Wow! Is this only Arkansas, or is this characteristic of the haves (as opposed to the have-not's) that they can afford to play all their games in their building?

Is the progression travel by bus, travel by plane, don't travel? This is a shocker to me!

Wow! Is this only Arkansas, or is this characteristic of the haves (as opposed to the have-not's) that they can afford to play all their games in their building?

Is the progression travel by bus, travel by plane, don't travel? This is a shocker to me!

I would have to say this is an extreme example of an alarming trend among the BCS basketball schools.

The days of the "home-and-home" series between a major and a mid-major school are pretty much history - the big boys simply buy a non-conference schedule that is almost all home games, and mid-to-low majors are forced to dance to the tune.  Not so much because the smaller schools need the money (though a $75,000 guarantee doesn't suck), but because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get any games with D-1 majors in the first place.

Which makes the schedule our coaching staff has put together this season even more impressive:  teams like a Missouri simply don't play teams like ORU on the road anymore, at least not much.

What's annoying about the Arkansas non-conference schedule isn't just that it's all home games.

It's that stretch in the middle where it looks like the Razorbacks are trying to contend for the SWAC championship, snubbing the likes of regional rivals ORU, Missouri, Tulsa, Arkansas-Little Rock, and Memphis in favor of 100-75 yawners against marginally D-1 programs.