Arkansas' Pelphrey - Dead Man Walking?

Old Titan

I would have to say this is an extreme example of an alarming trend among the BCS basketball schools.

The days of the "home-and-home" series between a major and a mid-major school are pretty much history - the big boys simply buy a non-conference schedule that is almost all home games, and mid-to-low majors are forced to dance to the tune.  Not so much because the smaller schools need the money (though a $75,000 guarantee doesn't suck), but because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get any games with D-1 majors in the first place.

Which makes the schedule our coaching staff has put together this season even more impressive:  teams like a Missouri simply don't play teams like ORU on the road anymore, at least not much.

What's annoying about the Arkansas non-conference schedule isn't just that it's all home games.

It's that stretch in the middle where it looks like the Razorbacks are trying to contend for the SWAC championship, snubbing the likes of regional rivals ORU, Missouri, Tulsa, Arkansas-Little Rock, and Memphis in favor of 100-75 yawners against marginally D-1 programs.

My guess is that they need all those easy games to recover from their difficult road trip to OU, and with that schedule, I have to admit that I have a mean streak just long enough to wish them a very challenging time in Norman. I hope it will serve them right for putting a bona fide road game on the schedule, and that in Oklahoma of all places!  :wink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• darrenj

• Titanic Eagle

Well, if Arkansas is on the bubble at tournament time, that schedule isn't going to impress the NCAA selection committee....teams are still better off scheduling a mixture of tough road and home games to impress the tournament selection guys......a tough loss on the road to a Top 50 team is still way better than a home win over a school with an RPI of 250+...... :-P

I have a hard time believing the Hogs will be anywhere NEAR the bubble come tourney time, but stranger things have happened.

I have a hard time believing the Hogs will be anywhere NEAR the bubble come tourney time, but stranger things have happened.

I think we could see a carbon copy of last season:  gaudy non-conference record, creating unrealistic expectations from Hog Nation, followed in January by a crash-and-burn in SEC play, culminating in a .500 or so overall record.

It's amazing they can't do more with the talent they continue to recycle. Just this year they pulled in four guys all ranked on espn in the top #50 for their respective positions:

Marshawn Powell Power Forward 6-7 215 The Miller School (VA) PF #22 92

Glenn Bryant Power Forward 6-7 190 Oak Hill Academy (VA) PF #36 89

Anthony Borden Center 6-11 230 West Memphis H.S. (AR) C #19 89

Julysses Nobles Point Guard 6-0 160 Callaway H.S. (MS)       PG #5        86

The way I see it is if Pelphrey doesn't win 20+ games and/or make the NCAA tourney then his job is toast. Thus, I see Arkansas barely breaking .500 and getting a bid to the NIT. That could give him enough leverage to make the case that he needs another year of building around his young talent. Whichever it is, I think the NIT ticket will cost  him a one-way ticket out of Fayetteville.

Then you will get to see your favorite player at Tulsa the following year.

Boy, you just have to keep bending this thing back to Rotnei, don't you?  :roll:

OK, I'll bite (since it's August 1st and frankly there's nothing better to discuss right now) - are you saying Rotnei will transfer to TU if Arkansas goes .500 this year, OR are you just saying he will transfer to TU if Pelphrey gets fired?

Or, sadly, is this just another tired installment of yanking the collective chains of college basketball fans in NE Oklahoma?

I can't see Ark. being any better this year with the guys that have left. Doubt Pelphrey makes it if they don't make the tourney.

As far as Clarke transferring to TU; i am sure they would be glad to have him. I doubt Woj is there to coach him if TU makes the tourney this year.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Hog fans: how can you tell when summer is over and fall has begun in Fayetteville?

1. The days are getting shorter.

2. The nights are getting cooler.

2. The leaves are getting prettier.

3. The basketball players are getting investigated.

Arkansas Trio Won't Be Charged With Rape

Here's another column, from CBS Sportsline.com basketball guru Gary Parrish, basically saying the same thing we've been saying for months: if Pelphrey doesn't do something - anything - spectacular this season, he's toast.

With Program Running Hog Wild, Pelphrey Needs To Pile Up Wins

Suey!!!!!!!!!!!......... :lol:

Didn't Arkansas lose the Washington kids from last year's team? If so, it is hard to believe they will be better or improved this season. How much longer does Pelphry have on his contract (didn't the school extend it last year?) They may be hard pressed to do anything like buy out his contract given the tough economic times. As OT has said, if the Hogs do make a change - expect them to come after Sutton. He has a proven track record and a spotless reputation.... and they are familar with his name.

Didn't Arkansas lose the Washington kids from last year's team? If so, it is hard to believe they will be better or improved this season. How much longer does Pelphry have on his contract (didn't the school extend it last year?) They may be hard pressed to do anything like buy out his contract given the tough economic times. As OT has said, if the Hogs do make a change - expect them to come after Sutton. He has a proven track record and a spotless reputation.... and they are familar with his name.

Which brings us back to the original intention of this thread: If Arkansas decides to cut Pelphrey loose, they will be looking to bring in someone who's a winner, has a reputation for running a clean program, and is willing to take a hit for a year or two in the win column until he can effectively clean house.

Have no idea if Scott Sutton is even on their list, but can't imagine anyone else more suited to the task. We'll see...

If ORU makes the NCAA tournament this year, then Scott Sutton might become a hot name again, even if he doesn't win a first round game. But if ORU doesn't make the NCAA tournament this year, then that will be 2 years in a row without "significant success" and I don't think a school like Arkansas could justify that type of hire.

Did Jeff Capel make the NCAAs with VCU the year preceding his OU hire? I don't remember for sure...

• 1 month later...

Yikes, I'm not sure I'm old enough to read the details of the campus police reports involving U of A players at frat parties :tmi:

AND there may be a conflict of interest involving the prosecutor who dropped the case...being that he's the son-in law of Frank Broyles?

AND even though suspended indefinitely, it appears Courtney Fortson still twitters?? http://twitter.com/cfortson4

Arkansas will suit 9 guys for at least a few games, including a walk-on from the golf team and a former football player.

So... hey, plenty of P.T. for R.C., right? Wonder how thats gonna work out for the Hogs? :?:

What a mess in Fayetteville

Ya, it's a mess.

btw, the golfer walk-on has been on the team for a few years now and the former football player is actually a currently red-shirting football player who, when he was a high school sophomore, committed to play basketball for John Brady at LSU but backed out when Brady got canned.

The hogs' next 5 opponents are:

Alcorn St.

Louisville

Appalachian St.

Morgan St.

East Tennessee St.

Except for Louisville, they shouldn't have too many problems. But ya never know...

• 3 weeks later...
Here's how you schedule when you're coming off a disastrous '08-'09 campaign:

Arkansas Men's Basketball 2009-2010 Non-Conference Schedule

Home/Neutral Games in ALL CAPS

DILLARD (exhibition)

LEMOYNE-OWEN (exhibition)

ALCORN STATE

vs. LOUISVILLE (in St. Louis)

at Oklahoma

SOUTH ALABAMA

MISSOURI STATE

APPALACHIAN STATE

MORGAN STATE

EAST TENNESSEE STATE

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE

DELAWARE STATE

ALABAMA STATE

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

vs. BAYLOR (in Little Rock)

ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM

TEXAS

14 of 17 non-conference games in Fayetteville (that can't have been cheap to buy)

1 game in Little Rock, 1 in St. Louis (both places will have tons of Arkansas fans)

one road game - a 3-hour bus trip to Norman.

Talk about padding the ol' record - but how does that prepare a team for the rigors of SEC play, especially on the road?

P.S.  Conspicuously absent (because, like ORU, they're no pushover) - former annual rival Missouri.

Arkansas Non-Conference Schedule Includes 3 Big XII Teams

What's worse than trying to buy a 20-win season?

Losing those "gimme" home games you paid so much for:

Nov 24 Morgan St. (Fayetteville) 94 - 97 (L)

Nov 27 East Tennessee St. (Fayetteville) 85 - 94 (L)

Nov 29 South Alabama (Fayetteville) 61 - 74 (L) (same South Alabama team TU beat by 20; Pelphrey's former employer)

How bad can this get?

The forums on http://www.hogville.net are in complete meltdown mode - delusional Hog fans think they can get Mike Anderson or Jamie Dixon. Doug Wojcik mentioned in a couple of places; not a word about Scott Sutton...