Looks like Calipari to Kentucky is a done deal

vcboy2000

Andy Katz is reporting this morning that Missouri will only go up to $1.3 million to retain Anderson.

If Calipari does in fact go to Kentucky, it's hard to believe Anderson wouldn't bolt for either Memphis or Georgia, considering how much more money they are both apparently willing to spend on a coach.  My money would be on Georgia, where the expectations are lower and the shoes to fill are smaller.

So then it comes down to who Missouri goes after, and whether the names that get thrown around for that one are a little more "familiar"...  :|

I like the way you think, OT.  I agree with what you're saying all the way around.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• SOLO_Gold

• ORUTerry

Major media outlets report Calipari decided last night to "sleep on Kentucky's offer".

Apparently, he's a pretty sound sleeper:  it's after 1:00 p.m. now, and still no word.

Unless, of course, he's simply enroute to Lexington for the press conference later today.

If that's not the case, the longer this thing drags out, the more likely he is to stay put, wouldn't you think?

And then Travis Ford steps front and center as Kentucky's "Plan B".

Major media outlets report Calipari decided last night to "sleep on Kentucky's offer".

Apparently, he's a pretty sound sleeper:  it's after 1:00 p.m. now, and still no word.

Unless, of course, he's simply enroute to Lexington for the press conference later today.

If that's not the case, the longer this thing drags out, the more likely he is to stay put, wouldn't you think?

And then Travis Ford steps front and center as Kentucky's "Plan B".

Educate me here - why is Travis Ford going to be considered for the KU job?

He transfered to Kentucky after his freshman year at Missouri.

"After playing sparingly his sophomore year, Ford was a starter during his junior and senior years, and set school records in single-game assists (15), single-season three-point field goals (101) and consecutive free throws made (50). Ford was named to the All-SEC team his junior and senior year, and was recognized as the Southeast Region's Most Outstanding Player in the 1993 NCAA Tournament." courtesy of Wikipedia

Travis Ford is from Kentucky and he is one of them.... played point guard for the Wildcats. Some of the faithful are saying that they need someone who 'understands' the Kentucky basketball culture.

Big step down from Calipari to Ford..... not sure the Kentucky fans could stand that.

Kentucky News reporting Calippari has accepted the Blue Nation coaching position.

Wow - they made it financially hard to turn down - but what a pressure cooker to work in!

Some of the faithful are saying that they need someone who 'understands' the Kentucky basketball culture.

"Understands" = "Willing to put up with toothless hillbillies second-guessing your every move."  :-D

Louisville Journal and Memphis T.V Station says yes but Joe B. Hall says not so fast. Who's report will you believe?

What happens to coaches salaries now that Tim Geitner (and apparently the Congress) thinks that he should have the power and authority to determine the salaries for all employees at entities (including public universities) receiving "taxpayer dollars"?

No problem..... Obama's brother-in-law is a college basketball coach so I suspect the 'industry' is safe for now. Helps to have friends.

No problem..... Obama's brother-in-law is a college basketball coach so I suspect the 'industry' is safe for now. Helps to have friends.

Or maybe what Oregon State pays will become the industry standard.

I'm pretty sure a former VP at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter and a Princeton graduate is not in coaching for money.

I bet most coaches hope that Oregon State money doesn't become the standard.  :-)

From the Tulsa World site…

Calipari leaves house, heading to Lexington

March 31st, 2009 — Coaching staff

Memphis Coach John Calipari left his home late Tuesday afternoon in a three-car caravan.

Calipari was in the middle car while his wife, Ellen, and a son were in the third vehicle.

The Memphis Commercial Appeal reported that Calipari and his family were headed to the airport to board a private plane for a flight to Lexington.

The newspaper later confirmed that Calipari had decided to become Kentucky’s next basketball coach.

UK is expected to announce Calipari as its new coach later Tuesday. A formal introductory news conference will be held on Wednesday.

TheEagleman thinks that Kentucky is the perfect place for that snakecharmer, Calipari....he's an above average coach who is in love with himself and his burgeoning bank account....too bad for that super recruiting class coming into Memphis next year that he just lied to about coaching them the next 4 yrs....I hope those "toothless hillbilly" Wildcat fans drive him nuts....Coach Cal is just a young Larry Brown....he goes where the greenbacks are and at some point will probably walk out on Kentucky, too....Larry Brown, Rick Pitino, John Calipari.....all cut out of the same mold..... :-P

Im sorry, but this one was obvious. I think the only reason Calipari "slept on it" was to show his respect to the Memphis fans. The guy went to the sweet sixteen  seven times and won a national championship with them. He could have flown to guam for a month, and that would of screamed Lexington too. Coaches that reach his level of success and can't decline the job immediately is more than likely already checked out. Yea, he knew he was leaving Memphis the moment he was offered the job.