Looks like Calipari to Kentucky is a done deal

vcboy2000

Agreed, however I absolutely do NOT believe Scott Sutton's not going anywhere...he's solid at ORU.  His brother Sean though would be a logical choice at any of the before mentioned jobs...

Isn't Sean going to have to set his sights a little lower than that for his next gig?

I see Sean eventually taking a Missouri State-type of job, just to get back in the swing of things and prove himself.

As for Missouri basketball, the problem is competing with Kansas, Illinois, Memphis, and about a dozen others for prime talent in the Midwest. 

But Mizzou is one of the few "not quite so big time" programs that might actually be able to match Memphis dollar-for-dollar in a bidding war over Anderson - if they choose to.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• SOLO_Gold

• ORUTerry

Sean may end up at Texas as an assistant if Springmann takes the job at VCU.

Be a good spot for him to get back in the mix with a very good program and yet not a ton of pressure on him.

Sean may end up at Texas as an assistant if Springmann takes the job at VCU.

Be a good spot for him to get back in the mix with a very good program and yet not a ton of pressure on him.

Now see, that sounds perfect for him right now - and then, back up the ladder he goes.

When jobs like that -[b] Butler, Creighton, Xavier, etc. - open up, that's when Scott Sutton's name might start popping up.

I absolutely see Sean Sutton going after a Butler, Creighton or Xavier level job...he may not get that level of job, but that would be his "A" list opportunities I would think...intersting point though about an assistant job at UT with Rich Barnes...sounds like a great fit for Sean too with little pressure on him other than to sign players which isn't difficult to do in Austin.

"IF THEY CHOOSE TO"...You said it all right there, OT; given the current economic climate across our country, I don't think you'll see the Mizzou's of the world get in bidding wars over for a coach that's one year removed from a 16-16 season.  Very few schools will be in the business of "over paying" for what the school's basketball coaching job is actually worth.

I absolutely see Sean Sutton going after a Butler, Creighton or Xavier level job...he may not get that level of job, but that would be his "A" list opportunities I would think...intersting point though about an assistant job at UT with Rich Barnes...sounds like a great fit for Sean too with little pressure on him other than to sign players which isn't difficult to do in Austin.

"IF THEY CHOOSE TO"...You said it all right there, OT; given the current economic climate across our country, I don't think you'll see the Mizzou's of the world get in bidding wars over for a coach that's one year removed from a 16-16 season.  Very few schools will be in the business of "over paying" for what the school's basketball coaching job is actually worth.

Then it should be interesting to hear Kentucky try to justify $40 million over six years for Calipari, if that number is accurate.

How soon they forget that last year, with an NBA Rookie of the Year at the point, Calipari lost a 9-point lead with 2:09 to play against Kansas, and this season was woefully unprepared for an over-achieving Missouri squad in the Sweet 16.

Desperate there much, Wildcat Nation?  :roll:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing the Wildcats like a fiddle.... a very expensive fiddle.

In other coaching news, Tony Bennett of Washington State is the popular favorite for the Virginia job:

Washington State Coach Bennett Headed For Virginia

What's interesting about this move is that 6'-8" forward and former ORU recruit James Watson of Stringtown just completed his redshirt freshman year for the Cougars.

Wonder how happy ol' James is up there, so far from home, not getting to play this past season, and losing the coach he signed with? 

Wouldn't he fit in nicely at the 3 or 4 for ORU? :wink:

You all seem pretty quick to write off the Memphis program.  I believe they went to a final four in the 70s and the 80s and have of course had recent success as well, including the finals appearance last year.  3 of their stud recruits are already signed (I think) and I guess it depends on the new coach as to whether they would stay.  They fill up the new FedEx arena for each game and are more popular than the NBA team in their own town.

I think with the comparative dump of an arena that OU plays in (compared to the Fedex arena), the relative lack of support for the OU basketball program (rarely selling out Lloyd Noble and then only for OSU, TX, Kansas type games) and always being in the shadow of the football program, Memphis seems like a better program to me...  With the right coach, I think it would be possible for Memphis to hold on to some of their studs and not miss a beat.

This is tremendous for TU. 

No, it's not - maybe in the short run, but not in the big picture.

Calipari was the one thing that gave C-USA national credibility.

With him gone, it runs the risk of becoming the basketball equivalent of the WAC.

In other coaching news, Tony Bennett of Washington State is the popular favorite for the Virginia job:

Washington State Coach Bennett Headed For Virginia

What's interesting about this move is that 6'-8" forward and former ORU recruit James Watson of Stringtown just completed his redshirt freshman year for the Cougars.

Wonder how happy ol' James is up there, so far from home, not getting to play this past season, and losing the coach he signed with? 

Wouldn't he fit in nicely at the 3 or 4 for ORU? :wink:

I don't quite understand Bennett heading over to coach the Wahoos... does he have ties there?

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that Mike Anderson will stay at Missouri and Memphis may have to go another route (Tony Barbee?  Some other assistant coach?)

Sure, the allure of all those thoroughbreds in the Memphis stable right now is tempting, but when it all boils down to it, do you really want to be the guy who follows John Calipari at Memphis?

Barry Hinson's press conference with the great big shoe comes to mind.

One of the Golden Rules in coaching:  Never be the one to follow "The Man". 

Instead, be the one to follow the poor schmuck who just went down in flames trying to follow "The Man."  :|

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that Mike Anderson will stay at Missouri and Memphis may have to go another route (Tony Barbee?  Some other assistant coach?)

Sure, the allure of all those thoroughbreds in the Memphis stable right now is tempting, but when it all boils down to it, do you really want to be the guy who follows John Calipari at Memphis?

Barry Hinson's press conference with the great big shoe comes to mind.

One of the Golden Rules in coaching:  Never be the one to follow "The Man". 

Instead, be the one to follow the poor schmuck who just went down in flames trying to follow "The Man."  :|

Isn't the Georgia job still open? I could see Mike Anderson fitting in there...

Isn't the Georgia job still open? I could see Mike Anderson fitting in there...

Funny you should ask:  ESPN is reporting Anderson met with Georgia yesterday, and they are prepared to give him $2 million a year, as opposed to the $850,000 he's making at Missouri right now.

He's probably just trying to get a raise out of Mizzou, and that is just the way you do it.

Can you say "cha-CHING"?

Andy Katz is reporting this morning that Missouri will only go up to $1.3 million to retain Anderson.

If Calipari does in fact go to Kentucky, it's hard to believe Anderson wouldn't bolt for either Memphis or Georgia, considering how much more money they are both apparently willing to spend on a coach.  My money would be on Georgia, where the expectations are lower and the shoes to fill are smaller.

So then it comes down to who Missouri goes after, and whether the names that get thrown around for that one are a little more "familiar"...  :|