Looks like Calipari to Kentucky is a done deal

vcboy2000

ESPN's Andy Katz is reporting that Calipari met with kentucky Sunday to discuss a package including salary and length of contract already prepared. He then met with Memphis officials and his players letting them know of his strong interest in the offer. Memphis players reportedly left the meeting feeling as if he is already out the door.  Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• SOLO_Gold

• ORUTerry

Now the dominoes begin to fall, and that list of a dozen or so coaching changes swells rapidly!

TU fans are dancing in the streets.

But don't they realize this now means they're in a one-bid conference that gets a 10-Seed, instead of a 1 or 2?

If Calipari goes to Kentucky, then I wonder if Jeff Capel would be interested in Memphis and vice versa.  OU won't have the horses next year that Memphis will have.  OU without Blake Griffin will be much more ordinary.

If Capel left for Memphis, would Scott Sutton be on Joe Castiglione's list?  Who knows...  I would guess that OU would leave Scott Sutton alone because of his last name and because he didn't make the tournament this year.

If Calipari goes to Kentucky, then I wonder if Jeff Capel would be interested in Memphis and vice versa.  OU won't have the horses next year that Memphis will have.  OU without Blake Griffin will be much more ordinary.

If Capel left for Memphis, would Scott Sutton be on Joe Castiglione's list?  Who knows...  I would guess that OU would leave Scott Sutton alone because of his last name and because he didn't make the tournament this year.

I can't imagine Scott at OU at ALL!!  Am I the only one, or do others think this would be a mismatch?

Memphis won't have those horses if Cal leaves.

OU has 2 Mcdonalds all americans coming in next year and if Orton goes to OU instead of Kentucky they will be loaded next year.

I would think Capel would have to take a serious look at Memphis if they come knocking; however Cal. and Worldwide Wes made that program.

Memphis will apparently go after Missouri's Mike Anderson.

Rivals.com Memphis Site

It's going to take a lot of money for Anderson to leave a BCS league that got 6 bids for 1-bid C-USA, but Memphis has that kind of cash - question is, will/can Missouri match it?

If I was either Capel or Anderson I wouldn't leave the BIG 12 to coach Memphis. What's alluring about playing in Conference USA?

I hope they can put their egos down enough to see Calipari is an amazing recruiter. They're really going to have to bring an "A+" game to maintain what he's started there.

If I was either Capel or Anderson I wouldn't leave the BIG 12 to coach Memphis. What's alluring about playing in Conference USA?

I hope they can put their egos down enough to see Calipari is an amazing recruiter and they're really going to have to bring an "A+" game to maintain what he's started there.

Exactly.

Calipari made Memphis, not the other way around.

Quick, name the coach at Memphis before John Calipari.

Give up?

Tic Price.

And before that, Larry Finch.

Memphis after Calipari leaves has "Cincinnati after Bob Huggins" written all over it.

I don't know many TU fans who are happy about it, other than the irony of a couple who had less than great experiences in Memphis this year.  For example, my buddy was about burned at the stakes for suggesting that Cal might go to Kentucky; I sat near a guy with a megaphone that is probably the most annoying fan I've encountered anywhere.

Memphis does put on a big show, they have a REALLY nice arena, and for the most part, great fans.  But, there might be a small amount of schadenfreude.

Memphis has some history, too; of course, NCAA probation usually follows that history.  :|

I can't stand Kentucky.  They ran off Tubby.  Not cool.

I'm not finding this confirmed anywhere legitimate yet.

Could this be a ploy by Calipari to get another raise?

I haven't seen it confirmed either but I just received an ESPN alert that says "Reports: Talks between Memphis coach John Calipari and Kentucky have intensified."

I haven't seen it confirmed either but I just received an ESPN alert that says "Reports: Talks between Memphis coach John Calipari and Kentucky have intensified."

However this plays out, it looks like the wives of John Calipari and Mike Anderson are both going to have a little extra shopping money in the next week or so.

OK, make that a LOT of shopping money.  :-o

However this plays out, it looks like the wives of John Calipari and Mike Anderson are both going to have a little extra shopping money in the next week or so.

OK, make that a LOT of shopping money.  :-o

The rich just keep getting richer, OT :roll: . . .

The rich just keep getting richer, OT :roll: . . .

If the Missouri job opens, that would be a perfect spot for someone from a high mid-major, such as Brad Stevens at Butler, Dana Altman at Creighton, or Sean Miller at Xavier.

When jobs like that - Butler, Creighton, Xavier, etc. - open up, that's when Scott Sutton's name might start popping up.

I'm not finding this confirmed anywhere legitimate yet.

Could this be a ploy by Calipari to get another raise?

Uhhh, absolutely yes!

And hey, you left the legendary Dana Kirk off your list of "Who's Who" among past Memphis State basketball coaching greats!

If the Missouri job opens, that would be a perfect spot for someone from a high mid-major, such as Brad Stevens at Butler, Dana Altman at Creighton, or Sean Miller at Xavier.

When jobs like that - Butler, Creighton, Xavier, etc. - open up, that's when Scott Sutton's name might start popping up.

I'm not as tuned in to this stuff as quite a few others on the board, but to me, with it's conference affiliation and all, Missouri seems like the better job between the two.  Now, I haven't really seen the facilities of either, and money can be a very big issue.  But if I were Mike Anderson, I think I'd stay put.

Agreed, however I absolutely do NOT believe Scott Sutton's not going anywhere...he's solid at ORU.  His brother Sean though would be a logical choice at any of the before mentioned jobs...