Oakland-NDSU Championship Game Predictions

Old Titan

Were you in the UMAC for the Mid-Con Tournament Championship in 2005?  I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone . . .

Not even Stephen F. Austin?  :-D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• oruvoice

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Missouri's pressure would at least make NDSU speed up and might take them out of sync.

Just make sure you rotate back in a hurry, becase they WILL put up some 3's.

Mizzou doesn't look like the most disciplined ball club in the world, but if they aren't a #3, then who is? People are saying that the Big East, ACC and Big Ten could possibly put in 24 teams in the tourney.

There's going to be a lot of terrible major teams getting in this year because of mid-major favorites blowing it in their conference.

If mid-major favorites blow it in their conference tournament that would eliminate "terrible" major teams on the bubble and put in more mid-majors. 

Were you in the UMAC for the Mid-Con Tournament Championship in 2005?  I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone . . .

One of the worst feelings in the world.  Our hope was pretty high on that team.  (Some even thought we still had a chance at an at-large big)

If mid-major favorites blow it in their conference tournament that would eliminate "terrible" major teams on the bubble and put in more mid-majors. 

Not necessarily. With teams like Davidson, St. Mary's and Creighton going down, it leaves the door open for middle of the pack majors. I guess the word I meant to use was mediocre.

The MVC was going to be a one-bid league no matter what, but their representative's RPI isn't as high as it could have been. And I don't think any of the above mentioned teams get in...especially since the majors get to play their tourneys right before Selection Sunday.

I heard some talk for Creighton making it, but I highly doubt it also.

If they don't win tonight I'm going to feel bad for them. 

I'm not sure I understand that one TMH.

Their story is cheap....

They have built themselves up for 1 year.

Oakland deserves this a lot more.

Their story is cheap....

C'mon, they both deserve it.

While NDSU's methods for building this team may appear a little unconventional in this "bring-in-a-couple-of-freshman-or-juco-studs-and-win-right-now" world, it does nothing to detract from this team's achievements.

In fact, shouldn't NDSU be lauded for patiently grooming this team the past five years for it's moment in the sun/blizzard?

I mean, this group happens to include a first-team Academic All-American in Winkleman, and the other starters seem particularly mature and well-mannered.

What's not to admire?

I agree their cupboard looks pretty sparse to continue their current success next season, but that's not the players' fault - blame the coaches if they haven't recruited well enough to keep the bench stocked.

But give this particular squad their just desserts - in both the long and short run, they appear to have done things the right way:-)

C'mon, they both deserve it.

While NDSU's methods for building this team may appear a little unconventional in this "bring-in-a-couple-of-freshman-or-juco-studs-and-win-right-now" world, it does nothing to detract from this team's achievements.

In fact, shouldn't NDSU be lauded for patiently grooming this team the past five years for it's moment in the sun/blizzard?

I mean, this group happens to include a first-team Academic All-American in Winkleman, and the other starters seem particularly mature and well-mannered.

What's not to admire?

I agree their cupboard looks pretty sparse to continue their current success next season, but that's not the players' fault - blame the coaches if they haven't recruited well enough to keep the bench stocked.

But give this particular squad their just reward if the win this thing - in both the long and short run, they did things the right way:-)

You're probably right  :| to a certain extent.

I think my vise w/ the team falls a lot more on the program as a whole and less with the individual players. They definitely deserve it just as much as anyone else.

While in complete disgust, when Ben Woodside and co. pranced off the Mabee Center in victory, I did notice how much it meant to them ... and that said a lot about them to me. (even if it appeared like the equivalent to Steve Urkel getting his first date to the prom)

I still don't want them to win it.  :-) GO GRIZZ

I'm not sure I understand that one TMH.

Their story is cheap....

I'm a softie . . .

From a selfish standpoint as an ORU fan, I'd prefer a NDSU victory, simply because we all know it's a "one and done" prospect for the Bison, who will be rebuilding next year.  Oakland, on the other hand, could use a win as a launching pad for next season.

I have considered all of the arguments for who I want to win and I think ORUBlue's has swayed me.  NDSU will be down next year, but Oakland could use this win to improve on their already good recruiting.

Several Vegas sports books have a line on this game:  it opened at NDSU -4.0, quickly moved to -4.5 with over 80% of the money so far on NDSU to cover.

The over/under is 151.5 points - seems about right for something around a 78-73 final score.  Might go WAY under if Oakland can control tempo, ala the 2005 final vs. ORU.

Vegas Lines on NDSU-Oakland

Interesting trends from Vegas:  the afternoon money is coming in on Oakland and the points - it's now a 70/30 split on the money, and the line has dropped to NDSU -4.0.

The question is always this:  is the late money the smart money?

Also, if I'm reading this thing right, it looks like more than 90% of the over/under money is going with the under. 

Do a lot of folks out there think Oakland can control the tempo and keep the total score down, or do they just think 151 is a lot of points for a conference championship game between two fairly even teams?

Be curious to see where the numbers all fall just before the tip...  8-)

I have considered all of the arguments for who I want to win and I think ORUBlue's has swayed me.  NDSU will be down next year, but Oakland could use this win to improve on their already good recruiting.

Yeah...we don't want the level of play to increase in the Mid-Con. That would be just awful.

And to think, many on this board want us in the Valley!?!?!?

The crowd is outstanding for the women's championship game on ESPNU right now. It's sold out and very difficult to find any empty seats.

The crowd is outstanding for the women's championship game on ESPNU right now. It's sold out and very difficult to find any empty seats.

Like there's anything else to do in a blizzard?

Some of 'em may just be there for the warmth.    :-P

You're probably right  :| to a certain extent.

I think my vise w/ the team falls a lot more on the program as a whole and less with the individual players. They definitely deserve it just as much as anyone else.

While in complete disgust, when Ben Woodside and co. pranced off the Mabee Center in victory, I did notice how much it meant to them ... and that said a lot about them to me. (even if it appeared like the equivalent to Steve Urkel getting his first date to the prom)

I still don't want them to win it.  :-) GO GRIZZ

I'm in full agreement with OT.  As usual, he verbalized my feelings better than I ever could.  In reality, I feel a bit torn.  Too bad BOTH teams can't win . . .

JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING, before everyone starts throwing rotten eggs at me  :-D!!

A buddy I was sitting with was very put off by the way the NDSU team acted after winning at Mabee Center two weeks ago.  He even yelled at them, "ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE!!!"  to which I wanted to tell him they hadn't, but I didn't!!  I don't know where I was looking, but I didn't see any of that going on.  My feeling is that I'm not going to judge the whole program based on what we might feel is an error in judgment by a bunch of very excited players.  They had just accomplished a very big goal - one that they had been striving to reach for five years - a conference championship, and a chance at an NCAA berth. 

So I choose to cut them a little slack at their indiscretion.  It certainly wasn't like Michael Watson stomping on Eli.

Like there's anything else to do in a blizzard?

Some of 'em may just be there for the warmth.    :-P

LOL. I think we both know that SDSU deserves a lot more credit for the program they have built.

It just hit me, but SDSU should be considered for MVC membership. It's a state school with solid fan support. It makes some sense geographically with Creighton being just down the street.

They could make a good argument. I think they could raise the money needed to compete at that level. You could sense that SDSU fans were starting to get it at the tournament this weekend.

NDSU and SDSU will have a chance to be the premier athletic departments in the league very soon. 

All things considered, I thought the NDSU players celebrated about as much as they should after the game in Tulsa - no more, no less.

I could have done without their coach marching off the floor and looking back over his shoulder at the arena while throwing a big "TAKE THAT!" roundhouse punch.

And, whoever came up with the "Can we come back out and cut down the nets?" idea should be given a big ol' wedgie.  :-o