Sioux Falls...

Golden Boy

Coach Hunter also said he thought it would be an upset if ORU beats SDSU and thought it was sweet justice for ORU to have to travel to SD to play a "home" team after hosting the tournament the past 4 years. He also thought IPFW could upset Oakland which would make NDSU's run that much more interesting. I'm curious to hear how much the lack of postseason experience has on the Bison. This will be a very difficult run but I hope they do it!!"

I wonder if Hunter realized when he said that that ORU only lost two conference games last season?  Probably not.  He also didn't mention that the best he could to was the fourth seed after nine conference losses (and did I mention being SWEPT by ORU?).  He's such a loser.

Did Hunter call the tournament the Jackrabbit Invitational or any other derivation along that theme?  I expect not. 

He considers it an outrage to have the tournament in the vicinity of a one seed but not an eight seed, I guess.  Probably too much nuance for Ron but the lack of outrage really argues to your point, TMH, and the point that others have made.  When the tournament was in Tulsa, we had really good teams.  We performed really well in the regular season.  We had the number one seed.  If we had lousy teams he wouldn't have cared.

Putz! (who does a good work with that shoe thing)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• Texasgrip

• donkeylarry

Did Hunter call the tournament the Jackrabbit Invitational or any other derivation along that theme?  I expect not. 

He considers it an outrage to have the tournament in the vicinity of a one seed but not an eight seed, I guess.  Probably too much nuance for Ron but the lack of outrage really argues to your point, TMH, and the point that others have made.  When the tournament was in Tulsa, we had really good teams.  We performed really well in the regular season.  We had the number one seed.  If we had lousy teams he wouldn't have cared.

Putz! (who does a good work with that shoe thing)

This something that has bugged me for the last several years but for the record: WE did not host the tournament, the Tulsa Sports Commission did. The tournament was played IN Tulsa, at a non-ORU facility, several miles from campus. Did some of our operations people assist? Of course, just like SDSU's will in Sioux Falls.

I get really chapped when people say ORU hosted the tournament the last four years. If we had, don't you think the games would have been at the Mabee Center? Get your facts straight. (This entire post is directed at Ron Hunter, who never lets facts get in the way of anything that can serve his self-serving ass.)

(This entire post is directed at Ron Hunter, who never lets facts get in the way of anything that can serve his self-serving ass.)

Wow, thanks for that bizarre and disturbing image now indelibly seared into my brainpan.  :|

It just sucks that some of our best teams came through at the same time the tourney was played in Tulsa, so that this can be used as an excuse. Which is one reason why I wish we could have taken the regular season again...but I guess it would make more sense to just win the tournament.

I believe we were 54-10 (.843) in that 4-year span? Sounds like there were "ORU Invitationals" held at a lot of places in the league.

it seems like he always has to find something to complain about i remember is tirade about OOOEY POOEY and disrespecting his school

...and Ron sets a record for his shortest post ever!!  +1

Thanks a lot Texasgrip. I know I won't be able to repeat that feat too often. It was a very good day. :-D

I took some time to read your post and it did not escape me that you did in fact better my mark. Congrats bballmangc! :-D

Story from Today's Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090306/SPORTS0202/903060332/1002/sports

Arena ready for tourney tip-off (video)

Teams arriving; venue goes through final touch-ups

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • March 6, 2009

Ready or not, here they come.

About half of the 16 participating teams arrived in Sioux Falls on Thursday in advance of the Summit League basketball tournament, a sure indication that the event - the first NCAA Division I championship qualifier to be held in South Dakota - indeed is going to happen after 18 months of buildup.

"It's finally here," conference commissioner Tom Douple said.

Although the games won't begin until noon Saturday, the league conducted a tipoff news conference Thursday afternoon in a remodeled storage area inside the Arena. Once filled with hockey equipment, basketballs and assorted uniforms, the room had been divided in two by new sheetrock and carpeted. There was a gigantic LED screen - compliments of Brookings-based Daktronics - behind a raised platform with a podium.  .  .  .  (read more)

it seems like he always has to find something to complain about i remember is tirade about OOOEY POOEY and disrespecting his school

And, the time he went off in the Press Room after a game at the Mabee Center in 2005, just because Jonathan Bluitt drained a lazy "3" while running out the clock in a win versus the Jags.

He said Bluitt's shot was "disrespectful of his entire team", and that "they wouldn't forget it" the next time the two teams played.

Memo to Ron:  the only people who "haven't forgot it" are ORU fans who still recall your ridiculous reaction to a non-event.

Story from Today's Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090306/SPORTS0202/903060332/1002/sports

Arena ready for tourney tip-off (video)

Teams arriving; venue goes through final touch-ups

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • March 6, 2009

Ready or not, here they come.

About half of the 16 participating teams arrived in Sioux Falls on Thursday in advance of the Summit League basketball tournament, a sure indication that the event - the first NCAA Division I championship qualifier to be held in South Dakota - indeed is going to happen after 18 months of buildup.

"It's finally here," conference commissioner Tom Douple said.

Although the games won't begin until noon Saturday, the league conducted a tipoff news conference Thursday afternoon in a remodeled storage area inside the Arena. Once filled with hockey equipment, basketballs and assorted uniforms, the room had been divided in two by new sheetrock and carpeted. There was a gigantic LED screen - compliments of Brookings-based Daktronics - behind a raised platform with a podium.  .  .  .  (read more)

I'm not sure which is more amazing.  That a remodeled storage area is so notable (it has a raised podium for goodness sakes) or that there will be 185 credentialed media members covering The Summit League tournament.  That is more than 10 for each of the mens and womens team.  Big times in Sioux Falls.

I'm not sure which is more amazing.  That a remodeled storage area is so notable (it has a raised podium for goodness sakes) or that there will be 185 credentialed media members covering The Summit League tournament.  That is more than 10 for each of the mens and womens team.  Big times in Sioux Falls.

Yeah, and 175 of them will be from the Dakotas.

Mike Sullivan was hired as executive director of the Sioux Falls Sports Authority - the group heading up the local efforts - after the city had secured the two-year contract to host the four-day tournament. So preparing for this is all he's known in his current position.

It was a SPORTS AUTHORITY group that headed up the local efforts and NOT SDSU - what a novel idea!!! Why didn't Tulsa think of that??  Oh, wait - THEY DID!!  The Tulsa Sports Commission placed and won the bid and made all the arrangements in Tulsa, but ORU caught the grief. 

Now SDSU, the HOSTING TEAM, happens to have a NATIONALLY RANKED women's team that were conference champs in the regular season - so will THEY get a bunch of complaining when they win it?  I doubt it.  It's just the way it goes . . .

I probably should quit harping about it.

here in albany, Siena and SUNY ALBANY are hosting the MAAC AND America East tourneys on their home courts and no one is complaining about it! the people running the MAAC tourney do an excellent job my son and i are going today to see #1Siena play #8 Canisius could be a tougher test than the seeding indicate Siena beat canisius by only 4 a few days ago

I read recently where someone in Sioux Falls said that this was the single biggest sporting event in the state's history.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or feel sorry...

For comparison's sake: In the 12 months surrounding the last Summit League Tournament in Tulsa, the city hosted the PGA Championship, The NCAA Tennis Championships, an LPGA event, and more.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or feel sorry...

Here is our chance to rise above, and instead we're bagging Sioux Falls' excitement about a new opportunity to host a significant event.  I hope the Tourney is a great experience for all involved...because The Summit needs it to be.  Now quit your crying.

I probably should quit harping about it.

Since SDSU is clearly hosting this tournament, they have the clear advantage of playing on their home court.  Right Coach Hunter?  So that counts for something:

ORU 72, SDSU 49

Now quit your crying.

I'm talking to myself as well... :-D

I'll quit, but let me differentiate first - I wasn't bagging on Sioux Falls for hosting - I'm sure they'll do a very nice job.  I will expressing unhealed bitterness over all the undeserved grief that ORU got for the TULSA SPORTS COMMISSION hosting the tournament for four years. 

That's all.  Now I'll shut up.  And quit crying.

I'll quit, but let me differentiate first - I wasn't bagging on Sioux Falls for hosting - I'm sure they'll do a very nice job.  I will expressing unhealed bitterness over all the undeserved grief that ORU got for the TULSA SPORTS COMMISSION hosting the tournament for four years. 

That's all.  Now I'll shut up.  And quit crying.

Yeah, me too.  But I realized it too late!

Of course, a win tonight (preferably a double-digit one!) will go along ways!