Re: UALR Game

ManiacVP

Reggie doesnt look like he can play on this level....4 turnovers...yes he is quick but he is not good enough to start at this level...worst player in the starting lineup  far

Definitely not is best showing tonight, but I thought he did a lot of positive things. I heard during the broadcast that he had 4 turnovers in 7 seven games before this one, along with 20 assists. That's not too bad for a player coming from the JUCO ranks. I think we have a good player in Mr. Guyton.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• ManiacVP

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

but won't happen saturday in Chapel Hill...could be ugly.... :-P

you, eagleman, are the new genius!  talk about the understatement of the century... :wink:

love ya mean it brutha just couldn't resist!  :mrgreen:

Actually, I look for Jarvis to play really well on Saturday and if a couple of other guys contribute it may be more respectable than most of us could imagine.

Just a few quick thoughts from watching in Little Rock tonight

21 killed us (ualr) tonight.

The ~5'11" guards that you guys had were bothered a good bit by the ~6'6" defenders guarding them.

Our center did not play and has not practiced for a few days.

Steve out coached Sutton in the last 4 minutes of the ball game.  The game was won with three trips in a row that ualr played 2-3 zone, which resulted in two stops.

Best of luck to you guys and hope to see many of you in LR next year for the next game in this 4 year home and home series.

former_d1 - I tried to come over to your board to post congrats but wasn't able to get registered last night.  I'll try again today.

Your zone at the end definitely created problems for our players, but I wouldn't necessarily blame that on coaching.  If we'd played defense at the other end it wouldn't have mattered what you did at the other end.

I really like your team - long, lean and muscular.  Like you pointed out, we were outsized at almost every position.  Good luck to you guys - we need you guys to help out our flagging RPI!

I know he's a freshman, but what's happened with Beloved ?

We heard so much of him at the beginning of the season, like Dominique?

I know he's a freshman, but what's happened with Beloved ?

We heard so much of him at the beginning of the season, like Dominique?

Beloved no doubt needs some "maturing", I assume.  He came in for a short time last night, and almost immediately threw the ball away.  I suspect his biggest liability is his defensive play, or, more precisely, the lack thereof. 

I could probably agree and/or disagree with almost everything that's been said about the game last night, but instead...here's my take:

1.)  We were physically challenged last night and responded pretty well with our current lineup.  Fighting back down 9 at half, down 11 and down 14 takes alot of energy and I was glad to see those leads not turn into a blowout and a 30 point loss.  UALR is long and athletic and we started essentially four guards, that had to fight for everything.  Ford is going to help regardless of his point production with just his height and size to have another body to rebound, post and fight underneath. 

2.)  I didn't mind Jarvis' next to last shot (floater in the lane) - in fact, it was a great look.  I'll take that look at the closing seconds everytime.  I infatically agree that we lost the game a minute or two prior with the lazy entry pass and not using the clock.

3.)  That might have been the worst officiated game I have witnessed in a long time.  UALR was living in the lane all game and every contact play went against us.  I don't know if "3 seconds in the lane" has been removed from an NCAA violation or not, but if so, I'm not aware of it.  I literally counted 20 times to seven or eight with UALR two guys in there. 

4.)  I thought we shot the ball from the free throw line better than we have, it's the damn layups that rim out or bound off that are driving me crazy.  You don't see our opponents struggle with that.  If they lay it up underneath, it goes down.   

5.)  Does anyone care about rebounding a free throw miss?  We certainly miss our fair share, you would think we might try to grab a loose board on the offensive end instead of leaning toward the shooter and heading back to play defense when the shot is released not contesting whatsoever for the board.  Just a lazy thing to fix that is another area we are getting out hustled and out physicaled.

6.)  I think it's obvious to everyone - we need Blake Griffin.

Great takes, donkeylarry.  Do you sit in Section H?  I think I heard you politely reminding the officials that UALR pitching tents and starting campfires in the middle of the lane wasn't acceptable :wink:.

Not section H - but glad to hear they saw the same thing.  I'm in C.

We were all yelling the same from section N too.  (And I thought I was the only one!)  Looks like we were all thinking the same thing!  :-)

I would think Morton would redshirt or he would have played by now.

It is tough for Jarvis to shoot over those type of guys on a reg. basis. He got much better looks last year.

Guyton is going to play a lot at the point this year and will get better. You don't want Jarvis playing extended minutes there.

Ford will really help down low and with Hardy playing better the front line will be in good shape for conference play.

Would like to have about 3 more of these type of home and home series with those type of teams. Wish that SMU, TCU or N. Texas would agree to it.

I would think Morton would redshirt or he would have played by now.

It is tough for Jarvis to shoot over those type of guys on a reg. basis. He got much better looks last year.

Guyton is going to play a lot at the point this year and will get better. You don't want Jarvis playing extended minutes there.

Ford will really help down low and with Hardy playing better the front line will be in good shape for conference play.

Would like to have about 3 more of these type of home and home series with those type of teams. Wish that SMU, TCU or N. Texas would agree to it.

Coach Crutch was asked about Morton at the Golden Eagle Pregame Dinner.  He said that Morton was slow healing from his leg injury and that he was not in "basketball shape" yet.

Crutch also said that questions regarding Morton's future playing time were being evaluated by Scott.

Morton was in uniform last night and went through warm-ups, still limping.

Thats a pretty heads-up move by the UALR coach if he switched to a 2-3 that late in a close game...Is that what caused the turnover on Jarvis' entry pass to Lewis?

I wondered what happened to Lewis and Hardy at the end of the game, and why we were firing up 3-balls. How can we not score a single point in the final four minutes, at HOME, with their guys in foul trouble!! Especially after the ULL game??

I didn't get to see the game, but listened to the UALR radio broadcast, which kept cutting out on my computer, so maybe I didn't get the whole story. But it sounds like a pattern that needs to get fixed asap...

I dont have ELIve. And the radio braodcasts are no longer streamed for free online.

Although I was extremely disappointed with the outcome of last night's game, I believe that since this ORU squad is pretty young they still have time to grow into a force to be reckoned with.

I do have to give props to Lewis, #21, he did his thing. He was a BEAST on the inside!

...What this squad needs is some reliable clutch players, i'm talking major play-makers, and a night like last night will never be repeated...in my humble opinion.

i agree...you could also add to that list Wichita St and Missouri St.  series w/these type teams are nice on the travel budget and have some regional interest.  i was glad to see in mike brown's ORU notebook that the UALR series is a 4 yr deal.

ORU Notebook

(excerpt)

Face in the crowd: Eddie Sutton, former Oklahoma State head coach and father of Scott Sutton, watched from his usual spot in the second row behind the scorer's table.

UALR assistant Joe Kleine played for Sutton at the University of Arkansas in the '80s.

Series opener: Monday's game was the first of four scheduled against UALR. The Eagles visit Little Rock next season.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=95&articleid=20081209_95_B3_Rayfra216780