Re: UALR Game

ManiacVP

No one was more upset after the game than Robert.  I felt bad for him.  It seemed like they set it up for him to shoot it with about 2 minutes to go.  I kept thinking they should take it inside.  UALR had a couple of guys with 4 fouls too.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• ManiacVP

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

You have to give Robert a chance to be that guy in that situation....he just didn't get it tonight.  Stupid mistakes at the very end cost us the game - oh the joy and heartbreak of college basketball!

Great crowd involvement tonight! 

Oh, and I was incredibly impressed with the speed of Reggie Guyton - I like that guy more and more every game.

yea true Robert is off this season but that is because he there i no one on the team that has steped up to score besides Marcus and Dominique, who is on a slump now...last year we had Moses and Adam...last year Adam was able to create good shot opportunite and be smart with the ball....this year Reggie is not able to do that....so Robert has to force shots because no one else is stepping up

Reggie doesnt look like he can play on this level....4 turnovers...yes he is quick but he is not good enough to start at this level...worst player in the starting lineup  far

Hopefully, the addition of Ford will make everyone a little bit better. We sure need it - as we're so close to turning the corner.  We could easily be 5-3 instead of 2-6 - and we should NOT lose a game like this at HOME!

Hopefully, the addition of Ford will make everyone a little bit better. We sure need it - as we're so close to turning the corner.  We could easily be 5-3 instead of 2-6 - and we should NOT lose a game like this at HOME!

+1

...as for guyton talk in the previous posts, i think he is going to be fine.  we have to remember he is transitioning from JUCO and it usually takes half a season to get up to speed in D1.

Thoughts:

We were out hustled and out-toughed in the first half. They pulled down 20 rebounds to our 10. I think intimidated us a bit. We did a good job to only lose the rebounding margin by 3. That was mostly due to Hardy.

The positive thing is that we battled back after being down by 13 to take a 4 point lead. I thought the game was over.

For some reason we have difficulty scoring at the end of halves: went scoreless the last 4+ minutes of the first and last 3+ minutes of the game.

We looked a bit disjointed on offense - especially on the perimeter. They had a lot to do with that.

UALR is a long, athletic team that crashes the boards and plays physical. Lots of matchup problems.

Jarvis is in a funk and it is affecting his whole game - offensively and defensively.He forced several shots that were blocked. Those should never have been taken.

Hardy was awesome tonight.  It was good to see him playing like he is capable.  Now if we could get them all playing well in a game.

Also, UALR shot 75% from 3 point range!  It's hard to win against that.

Good point... They shot 9 of 12 from behind the 3 point arc. It is pretty amazing we were in the game for as poorly as we shot from the field and the free throw line.

You could argue we lost the game at the free throw line.

And don't get me started on the refs....

Is Morton even going to play this season? Is he a redshirt or what? He would really help Hardy and Lewis out down low.

great point about the perimeter defense this season MrsSmith and ORU Terry....also factor in that the 3 pointer was pushed back this year.

w/the 9 - 12 tonight ORU's opponents are shooting 41% (48-117) from be hind the arc.  i definitely think they are missing some of the length they had last year which allowed 3's at 33.7%.

i'm guessing free throws and perimeter defense will be a point of emphasis this week.

Is Morton even going to play this season? Is he a redshirt or what? He would really help Hardy and Lewis out down low.

I would assume at this point in the season that Morton would be redshirted, but who knows? 

In the post-game interview Coach Sutton defended Robert Jarvis taking the last shot - said in that situation with the ball in Rob's hands for the final shot he liked our chances.  He said Robert is capable of missing several then hitting the big shot when needed.  But he was very unhappy with first half play.  Said we just dug ourselves too big of a hole in the first half.  Said we were out-played at both ends of the court.  He said some guys are going to have to step up and buy into their defensive system. 

The other thing he said, and it was SO TRUE, was that all we needed to do in the last three minutes of the game was to get ONE defensive stop and score ONE TIME, but we did neither.  What a missed opportunity . . .

. . . but another great learning experience.  I just keep thinking what great potential we're showing, if we can at some point begin pulling it all together. 

Not trying to bag on Jarvis, but a lot of his shots were forced. If it is not there - don't take it.  In several games this year (especially noticed this against SDSU) he brought the ball down and shot it without a pass.

Robert just needs to let the game come to him and not force things.

I thought Guyton did okay.... the four turnovers are not good - but when you are handling the ball that much, things will happen. I also think that one or two of his bad passes were a result of bad communication. Not sure whose fault it really is. We have lots of different combinations on the court.

Good point... They shot 9 of 12 from behind the 3 point arc. It is pretty amazing we were in the game for as poorly as we shot from the field and the free throw line.

You could argue we lost the game at the free throw line.

And don't get me started on the refs....

The ref with the crew cut made 80% - 90% of the calls.  Many of the calls were what I call "guesses".  There was contact and, regardless of whether it was a foul or no-call, the whistle blew.  Another of the referees was Eddie Jackson, the official that lost an eye in a golf cart accident a couple of years ago.  He was discussed in an article on this board earlier this year.

The ref with the crew cut has an attitude - and it's not positive towards ORU.

UALR played a physical style game and we did not adjust until the second half.

w/the 9 - 12 tonight ORU's opponents are shooting 41% (48-117) from be hind the arc.  i definitely think they are missing some of the length they had last year which allowed 3's at 33.7%.

to further illustrate how poor the perimeter defense i pulled out the JBU stats (5-18) and just looked at the D1 opponents.

that brings it up to 43.4% (43-99) against D1 athletes.