Re: ORU Dance Team

oruvoice

I am the daughter of this user and just happen to be one of the members of the dance team around which this whole thread revolves. I'm here to set the record straight with facts rather than whatever the stupid stuff "oru voice" wants to say. (By the way "voice", that cheerleader is a freshman and probably young enough to be your daughter, and that's just creepy of you).

Bogus has it right: the dance team was temporarily disontinued during the summer by the athletic department due to budget cuts. When school began this year, some of us from last year's squad were approached about maybe performing at a few games, only for half time. It was later worked out that for a *SMALL* scholarship, we would perform at SOME home games scheduled by THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. They gave us the schedule, and we agreed. We really had no say in the arrangements, and due to budget cuts and with no plans for a team, we agreed to help them out because we simply did not want to see the dance team die after a great season last year.

Speaking on behalf of the other 11 girls on the squad, we hadn't planned to be on the team this year, and we made sacrifices in our school schedules to make the team happen. We were doing it for the good of the school, because a Division 1 school without a dance team is worse than a D1 school with a dance team that "leaves after half time".

Speaking for myself as a senior, it was a huge time commitment for me to agree to be on the squad again, and honestly, I appreciate being respected enough to be told I can get back to my studies early since I'm not earning the scholarship I had previously received last year, which was thousands less than the cheerleaders (and is wayyyy less this year).

So honestly, I'm sorry if you have bad things to say about our squad. You should get your facts straight before you speak. We're working very hard every week to get out there and perform/entertain/support the Eagles and our fans. I assure you that next year will be even better for the dance team, but this year, cuts had to be made. I can assure you the small scholarship we're paid is not the reason we're out there. If it were, there wouldn't be anyone occupying the east end of the court.

Thanks to those of you who spoke in support. We really appreciate knowing that some of you enjoy our team.

Oh and by the way Voice, keep your check. It probably isn't big enough to make any difference anyway.

First of all...my comment about looking at the cheerleader was a joke. Re-read the thread and you'll see the context.

Secondly, the REASON that I started this thread is because I DO CARE about the Dance Team. If I didn't, I wouldn't have said a thing. I understand the IMPORTANCE of the cheerleaders, band, and yes, the DANCE TEAM!

And, while I do appreciate your response and respect your position, I still don't see why the extra 45 minutes or so in the second half would be that difficult!?!? I think it is a GOOD thing that you guys are on that end of the floor, supporting the team and entertaining the fans!!!

I hope you can understand my thoughts/position.

And finally, you are correct, the amount of money I make for announcing games is miniscule. That comment was also made in jest. Just trying to make a point.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• oruvoice

• Bogus Smith

• Old Titan

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the daughter of this user and just happen to be one of the members of the dance team around which this whole thread revolves. I'm here to set the record straight with facts rather than whatever the stupid stuff "oru voice" wants to say. (By the way "voice", that cheerleader is a freshman and probably young enough to be your daughter, and that's just creepy of you).

Bogus has it right: the dance team was temporarily disontinued during the summer by the athletic department due to budget cuts. When school began this year, some of us from last year's squad were approached about maybe performing at a few games, only for half time. It was later worked out that for a *SMALL* scholarship, we would perform at SOME home games scheduled by THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. They gave us the schedule, and we agreed. We really had no say in the arrangements, and due to budget cuts and with no plans for a team, we agreed to help them out because we simply did not want to see the dance team die after a great season last year.

Speaking on behalf of the other 11 girls on the squad, we hadn't planned to be on the team this year, and we made sacrifices in our school schedules to make the team happen. We were doing it for the good of the school, because a Division 1 school without a dance team is worse than a D1 school with a dance team that "leaves after half time".

Speaking for myself as a senior, it was a huge time commitment for me to agree to be on the squad again, and honestly, I appreciate being respected enough to be told I can get back to my studies early since I'm not earning the scholarship I had previously received last year, which was thousands less than the cheerleaders (and is wayyyy less this year).

So honestly, I'm sorry if you have bad things to say about our squad. You should get your facts straight before you speak. We're working very hard every week to get out there and perform/entertain/support the Eagles and our fans. I assure you that next year will be even better for the dance team, but this year, cuts had to be made. I can assure you the small scholarship we're paid is not the reason we're out there. If it were, there wouldn't be anyone occupying the east end of the court.

Thanks to those of you who spoke in support. We really appreciate knowing that some of you enjoy our team.

Oh and by the way Voice, keep your check. It probably isn't big enough to make any difference anyway.

Well played.  Very well played!

For the record, daughter-of-tbone, your group provides great pleasure to those of us at the east end!  You do a great job, and I really enjoy your enthusiasm.  We enjoy the job you do very much.  Keep up the good work.

Your halftime routine this year is great, BTW.

For the record, daughter-of-tbone, your group provides great pleasure to those of us at the east end!  You do a great job, and I really enjoy your enthusiasm.  We enjoy the job you do very much.  Keep up the good work.

Your halftime routine this year is great, BTW.

For the record, I agree! The Dance Team has improved GREATLY over the past couple of years! The do an EXCELLENT job! In previous years, I would cringe when they hit the floor. Now, they are a VERY GOOD addition to the game day atmosphere! And, I appreciate their efforts and hard work!

I think SOME of you have taken my criticism in this thread a little further than I intended.

I would just like to see them stay the additional 45 minutes, thru the second half.

That said, I would be willing to "pony up" some funds to help continue their efforts. My inbox is open to suggestions/discussion. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is!

For the record, I agree! The Dance Team has improved GREATLY over the past couple of years! The do an EXCELLENT job! In previous years, I would cringe when they hit the floor. Now, they are a VERY GOOD addition to the game day atmosphere! And, I appreciate their efforts and hard work!

I think SOME of you have taken my criticism in this thread a little further than I intended.

I would just like to see them stay the additional 45 minutes, thru the second half.

That said, I would be willing to "pony up" some funds to help continue their efforts. My inbox is open to suggestions/discussion. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is!

I just wanted them to know that their efforts ARE appreciated by those of us sitting on the east end, voice.  My comment was not intended to be in response or in relation to what you or any others had said in this thread.

I understand tmh. I just wanted to clarify my thoughts, as well.

After re-reading my posts and then tbone77's daugther's post, I needed to clarify my point.

I want MORE dance team. And, if it takes me pitching in or helping organize some sort of fundraising/scholarship fund, then let's do it!

Let me give you some background on how I feel about this and why I was 'miffed' about them leaving at half time...

As most of you know, I was born & raised in Memphis, TN. The Univ. of Memphis dance team (also known as the Pom Squad), has won NUMEROUS National Championships dating back to the 1980's. They have been the "benchmark" in college dance teams for 30 years.

During home games at the old Mid-South Coliseum, the Dance Team would do their main performance AFTER some games! ANd, the entire arena (over 11,000) would stay glued in their seats AFTER tha ball games, JUST TO WATCH the Dance Team! And, the place would go NUTS!

Their presence at Memphis home games is STILL a HUGE staple of the gameday experience in Memphis.

All that to say, I more than most, APPRECIATE and VALUE the Dance Team. My intent is for their advancement and when I see them leaving at half time, it caught me the wrong way.

Like I stated, I am willing to be part of solution.

That's a tough situation the dance team has been put in, and it's admirable for them to sacrifice their time when they don't have to..... BUT, it would look bad if the team just packs up and leaves immediately after their performance.

I think it would send a message to some fans and students who already don't seem very IN to b-ball games.

Would the team be able to come out and just do their halftime performance? Or could they do their performance and stay for the 2nd half??

OR, are these horrible ideas because of timing, organization, preparation time, etc??

Studies are definitely more important than basketball games, but I was always a pretty bad student anyway  :lol:

Come on Big Mike, what you're suggesting NEVER happens here.  Only every time I post my man so welcome to "love to be hated on" club.  :wink:

How else could a guy get a -8 user rating?  Nice to see you softening up though once "daughter of t-bone" got up in your grill a little bit...it's Thanksgiving time, basketball feast week on ESPN, AND you're getting married in ten days brutha, time to be happy and celebrate.  :-D

Couldn't agree more with you Mrs.Smith...I have two teenage daughters and a wife who frankly couldn't care less about coming to a basketball game UNLESS there is a dance team to watch perform (the cheerleaders, band and a few of the on-court promotions entertain them too).

Who really cares when the dance team shows up or leaves...as long as they show up, perform well and entertain those who enjoy that aspect of the "event" it's absolutely fine.  A date with the Golden Eagles in the Mabee Center truly is "more than just a game" folks, and if we lose sight of that then ORU basketball loses its brand identity.  We are fun, family entertainment...NOT just a basketball game.

Seriously, for the pure basketball fan, having a "spirit squad" (dance team/cheerleaders) has ZERO to do with winning basketball games...those things are there for folks who aren't there for the game alone which includes a heckuva lot of paying customers.

+1 for GoldenBoy.  I'd give you +10 if it would let me.  Thanks for expressing my thoughts more eloquently.

Interesting how this thread has turned around - my user rating was dinged yesterday for being the LONE supporter of Rock the House, a position that johnny-come-latelies  are now GETTING CHEERS FOR!!!

There's just no fairness in life . . . :lol:

Once again, this is the daughter of this user and the dancer. 

Thank you so very much for all the support the dance team has gotten on here. I'm looking forward to going back to the rest of the squad after break and letting them know the positive feedback we've received!

Voice, I can understand where you're coming from. My sole reason for replying on here was to vocalize the point of view of the dance team. Thank you so much for the positive words you've provided, as well as your interest in helping us fundraise/increase scholarships/etc...

Know that this year's squad is no indication of what we'd like to see in the future for the dance team. However, this year, these were the cards we were dealt. Due to the revenue seats behind our place on the court, we're not allowed to stand like the cheerleaders are, so the spirit program released us from sitting after halftime.  We would love to perform at any opportunity we are given.    Most of the time you can find us still in the stands, wearing our warmups (which new girls on the squad were not even able to get this year because of budget cuts), and cheering on the team.

I am glad to know you care, and please know that we too are supporting the Eagles.

Most of the time you can find us still in the stands, wearing our warmups

I did not know that. If that is the case, then I am truly sorry.

One statement that I will not apologize for and will not change, is that the Dance Team now is FAR better than it was a few years back. I stand by that statement 1000%!

One statement that I will not apologize for and will not change, is that the Dance Team now is FAR better than it was a few years back. I stand by that statement 1000%!

No joke...Haven't seen the current team but they have nowhere to go but up based on the precedence set earlier this decade...trying to check out the dance team/Rock the House from inside the Eli suit in my day proved to be pretty pointless...

Interesting how this thread has turned around - my user rating was dinged yesterday for being the LONE supporter of Rock the House, a position that johnny-come-latelies  are now GETTING CHEERS FOR!!!

There's just no fairness in life . . . :lol:

How do you think I feel?

I'm the smartest guy on the board and I sit at +23???

How do you think I feel?

I'm the smartest guy on the board and I sit at +23???

It's lonely at the top, voice :wink:!  Plus, you've got to POST to get points, and you were on hiatus there for a while . . .