• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• oruvoice

• Bogus Smith

• Old Titan

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope not.

But, I would bet that they do. Just maybe not as much as in the past, might be a good guess. Remember, the "Rock The House" was a Lindsey "project" in the beginning, IIRC.

With cuts in a lot of areas, they MAY have cut back on that? Just a guess.

I just can't understand the philosophy of leaving a ball game at halftime? I guess I'm too old to understand???

I hope other people paid to be at the games don't leave whenever they feel like it either. 

I can assure you, that me "leering" at them is not a problem.

Now, that one new blonde cheerleader......perhaps.

I rest my case.  :wink:

You guys are WAY too hard on them!!  I enjoy having them cheering at our end of the court, even if it IS only for half the game.  If it weren't for Rock the House, the only time we'd have a cheeleader at our end of the arena is when one comes down to throw a single ice cream bar to the six sections at our end!!!

They're volunteering their time, I'm sure.  Give them a break, for crying out loud!  You guys gripe loud enough, and you'll get want you want - they'll quit entirely.  And whether they stay for half the game or all the game, they DO ADD TO THE ATMOSPHERE WHILE THEY'RE THERE.

I'm grateful for the work and time they DO put in.  I can't believe the rest of you :x!

You guys are WAY too hard on them!!  I enjoy having them cheering at our end of the court, even if it IS only for half the game.  If it weren't for Rock the House, the only time we'd have a cheeleader at our end of the arena is when one comes down to throw a single ice cream bar to the six sections at our end!!!

They're volunteering their time, I'm sure.  Give them a break, for crying out loud!  You guys gripe loud enough, and you'll get want you want - they'll quit entirely.  And whether they stay for half the game or all the game, they DO ADD TO THE ATMOSPHERE WHILE THEY'RE THERE.

I'm grateful for the work and time they DO put in.  I can't believe the rest of you :x!

Careful there, Sparky - keep going off like that and you'll never get that 100-point User Rating!  :lol:

I'm happy to be their lone advocate.  You bunch of sports junkies are only interested in hard-core fans like yourselves, but not everyone shares your enthusiasm.  If some are less devoted than you are, why chase them off completely?  Let everyone be fans at their own level - and enjoy the game at their level. 

You know what hacks me off?  Fans that don't show up for tip-off.  Also, fans that start leaving early when we're up by 25, or down by 25.  Who needs them?  If they can't be there for the whole game, DON'T COME AT ALL :wink:!  It's all in your perspective.

Careful there, Sparky - keep going off like that and you'll never get that 100-point User Rating!  :lol:

You should have seen my original response to ron this morning, OT :wink:!  I think you're rubbing off on me.

We're lucky to have a dance team at all.  Those girls are very talented and they work hard - I really enjoy them.  Dance teams are not the same as cheerleaders. 

I'm really disappointed that you would be so critical when most of you don't know anything about the situation.  Be careful what you ask for.

I haven't gotten a cheer in a long time - but I got dinged today after you posted that :|!  Thanks for returning the favor!

We're lucky to have a dance team at all.  Those girls are very talented and they work hard - I really enjoy them.  Dance teams are not the same as cheerleaders. 

I'm really disappointed that you would be so critical when most of you don't know anything about the situation.  Be careful what you ask for.

Noone said they weren't talented.

I just can't fathom an idea as to why they leave at halftime?

I would be willing to wager we have the only dance team/pom squad in the country that leaves at halftime.

So, we can assume that if not for their performance, they would not attend the games at all?

I'm happy to be their lone advocate.  You bunch of sports junkies are only interested in hard-core fans like yourselves, but not everyone shares your enthusiasm.  If some are less devoted than you are, why chase them off completely?  Let everyone be fans at their own level - and enjoy the game at their level. 

You know what hacks me off?  Fans that don't show up for tip-off.  Also, fans that start leaving early when we're up by 25, or down by 25.  Who needs them?  If they can't be there for the whole game, DON'T COME AT ALL :wink:!  It's all in your perspective.

OK tmh...what if our cheerleaders decided to leave at halftime? What if our band decided to leave at half? What if the PA announcer decided to leave at half?

I'll make a deal! I will donate 100% of my game check to the ORU Dance Team after every game they stay for the entire game? How about that? I will give every penny I make at the game to them, in cash, at the conclusion of each home game!

OK tmh...what if our cheerleaders decided to leave at halftime? What if our band decided to leave at half? What if the PA announcer decided to leave at half?

I'll make a deal! I will donate 100% of my game check to the ORU Dance Team after every game they stay for the entire game? How about that? I will give every penny I make at the game to them, in cash, at the conclusion of each home game!

Does that include the amount that is paid into your ORU retirement account??  :-D

I've made my case, voice, so I'm done.  I don't know that money has anything to do with it, so you'll have to take it up with them.  Truth is, for all I know, you donate your time as well. 

I always enjoy the dance team. This is the first time I even realized that they might not be a permanent part of our program. Both the dance team and the cheerleaders have to practice a lot!  It isn't like it just comes naturally.

They stayed for the entire women's game Monday. Maybe they have classes or change clothes to be in the stands? I would hope they would feel enough pride in the basketball programs to stay for the entire game.  But, as Blue frequently reminds me, I can't expect everyone else to have the same position I do on things. If they did, it would be pretty dull.  :roll:

Couldn't agree more with you Mrs.Smith...I have two teenage daughters and a wife who frankly couldn't care less about coming to a basketball game UNLESS there is a dance team to watch perform (the cheerleaders, band and a few of the on-court promotions entertain them too).

Who really cares when the dance team shows up or leaves...as long as they show up, perform well and entertain those who enjoy that aspect of the "event" it's absolutely fine.  A date with the Golden Eagles in the Mabee Center truly is "more than just a game" folks, and if we lose sight of that then ORU basketball loses its brand identity.  We are fun, family entertainment...NOT just a basketball game.

Seriously, for the pure basketball fan, having a "spirit squad" (dance team/cheerleaders) has ZERO to do with winning basketball games...those things are there for folks who aren't there for the game alone which includes a heckuva lot of paying customers.

I am the daughter of this user and just happen to be one of the members of the dance team around which this whole thread revolves. I'm here to set the record straight with facts rather than whatever the stupid stuff "oru voice" wants to say. (By the way "voice", that cheerleader is a freshman and probably young enough to be your daughter, and that's just creepy of you).

Bogus has it right: the dance team was temporarily disontinued during the summer by the athletic department due to budget cuts. When school began this year, some of us from last year's squad were approached about maybe performing at a few games, only for half time. It was later worked out that for a *SMALL* scholarship, we would perform at SOME home games scheduled by THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. They gave us the schedule, and we agreed. We really had no say in the arrangements, and due to budget cuts and with no plans for a team, we agreed to help them out because we simply did not want to see the dance team die after a great season last year.

Speaking on behalf of the other 11 girls on the squad, we hadn't planned to be on the team this year, and we made sacrifices in our school schedules to make the team happen. We were doing it for the good of the school, because a Division 1 school without a dance team is worse than a D1 school with a dance team that "leaves after half time".

Speaking for myself as a senior, it was a huge time commitment for me to agree to be on the squad again, and honestly, I appreciate being respected enough to be told I can get back to my studies early since I'm not earning the scholarship I had previously received last year, which was thousands less than the cheerleaders (and is wayyyy less this year).

So honestly, I'm sorry if you have bad things to say about our squad. You should get your facts straight before you speak. We're working very hard every week to get out there and perform/entertain/support the Eagles and our fans. I assure you that next year will be even better for the dance team, but this year, cuts had to be made. I can assure you the small scholarship we're paid is not the reason we're out there. If it were, there wouldn't be anyone occupying the east end of the court.

Thanks to those of you who spoke in support. We really appreciate knowing that some of you enjoy our team.

Oh and by the way Voice, keep your check. It probably isn't big enough to make any difference anyway.

I am the daughter of this user and just happen to be one of the members of the dance team around which this whole thread revolves. I'm here to set the record straight with facts rather than whatever the stupid stuff "oru voice" wants to say. (By the way "voice", that cheerleader is a freshman and probably young enough to be your daughter, and that's just creepy of you).

Bogus has it right: the dance team was temporarily disontinued during the summer by the athletic department due to budget cuts. When school began this year, some of us from last year's squad were approached about maybe performing at a few games, only for half time. It was later worked out that for a *SMALL* scholarship, we would perform at SOME home games scheduled by THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. They gave us the schedule, and we agreed. We really had no say in the arrangements, and due to budget cuts and with no plans for a team, we agreed to help them out because we simply did not want to see the dance team die after a great season last year.

Speaking on behalf of the other 11 girls on the squad, we hadn't planned to be on the team this year, and we made sacrifices in our school schedules to make the team happen. We were doing it for the good of the school, because a Division 1 school without a dance team is worse than a D1 school with a dance team that "leaves after half time".

Speaking for myself as a senior, it was a huge time commitment for me to agree to be on the squad again, and honestly, I appreciate being respected enough to be told I can get back to my studies early since I'm not earning the scholarship I had previously received last year, which was thousands less than the cheerleaders (and is wayyyy less this year).

So honestly, I'm sorry if you have bad things to say about our squad. You should get your facts straight before you speak. We're working very hard every week to get out there and perform/entertain/support the Eagles and our fans. I assure you that next year will be even better for the dance team, but this year, cuts had to be made. I can assure you the small scholarship we're paid is not the reason we're out there. If it were, there wouldn't be anyone occupying the east end of the court.

Thanks to those of you who spoke in support. We really appreciate knowing that some of you enjoy our team.

Oh and by the way Voice, keep your check. It probably isn't big enough to make any difference anyway.

Quality post.  Good for you for standing up for yourself young lady...by the way, your Dad's a top shelf quality guy so no surprise he'd have a daughter like you.