Prospects for Fall Signing Period

Old Titan

A new name has popped up on the Rivals.com website as an ORU prospect:  Damon Warren (El Cerrito, CA - 6'9" - Worcester (MA) Academy.  Here's what they had to say about him:

"...another California native at Worcester Academy is former El Cerrito High standout Damon Warren, a 6-foot-9 post, who is in the post graduate program at the school. Warren is getting settled in the school and his recruitment is starting to pick up. Schools interested in Warren include Oral Roberts, Western Kentucky, St. Bonaventure, Marquette and Fresno State."

According to Rivals.com this morning, Damon Warren committed over the weekend to George Washington University.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

• ORUTerry

According to Rivals.com this morning, Damon Warren committed over the weekend to George Washington University.

Not eveh on he original list.  Shows how deceiving this sort of thing can be.

I'm not sure if this guy is a prospect for the fall signing period but I thought this was interesting.

GU Target Visits ORU

Picture1copy.jpg

Daequon Montreal

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/2008/11/gu-target-visits-oru.html

It appears that the competition for Daequon Montreal is going to be intense until the end. The College of Southern Idaho PF has been a top target for Coach Few and the rest of the staff for the past couple of months. Montreal took his first official visit this past weekend, when he visited Oral Roberts University.

Montreal is being recruited by Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Colorado St., St.John's, Providence, University of Washington, and Oral Roberts. While Montreal clearly has an interest in Oral Roberts, he has stated that he will be taking all five of his visits.

After reading that article it sounds like we've got as good of a chance as anybody to get this kid.  According to a separate article linked to this one, "Montreal has a great relationship with ORU’s coaching staff and decided to take the visit early to show his loyalty."

I don't think this was posted before - it's an article about Daequon Montreal from "The Tower" -

CSI’s star basketball player, Daequon Montreal, visited Oral Roberts University this past weekend to learn about transferring to the team after graduation from CSI in May 2009.

Montreal is considered one of the best Junior College players in the country by Scout Magazine, Hoopmasters and Juco Junction –the industry standard for rankings at the community college level.  He is being recruited by Division-1 powerhouses Gonzaga, University of Oklahoma, Colorado State, St. Johns, Providence College and University of Washington, to name a few. 

The  6’9”, 215lb sophomore Golden Eagle  is originally from Syracuse, NY. He is the lone returner to CSI’s 2008-2009 season. Montreal has a great relationship with ORU’s coaching staff and decided to take the visit early to show his loyalty. 

Montreal has yet to commit.

“I’m just not ready to make a decision like that.  I have a lot of options and I want to make sure to find the right fit for me.  Right now I just want to focus on the season and bringing a banner back to Twin,” Montreal said. 

Following his sophomore season he will take the remainder of his four visits and eventually make a decision by May 2009.

Link

Wow! The competition has gotten tough for him!

Would be better if he would decide in the fall instead of waiting for the spring signing period.

ORU does have a shot due to the staff really doing a great job of staying in touch with him.

Add him to the team next year with the other 2 guys and that would be a stacked front line!!!!!

That IS some stiff competition.  Let's hope that "relationship is everything", and that our guys have built close enough ties with DM over time that he'll turn a deaf ear to all these johnnie-come-lately's!  Hard to know from the quote, but if I had to guess I'd bet that he doesn't plan to sign early.  As you said, darrenj, it would be MUCH better for ORU if he did.

It's never good when a kid of this calbre wants to wait until the Spring to sign. He would obviously be a very nice recruit. Especially in tandem with Bell-Holter and Ford.

Meanwhile, Rivals.com is reporting that Will Reinke (Lawton, OK - 6-10/245 - Lawton H.S.) has committed to TMH's favorite program, Stephen F(rickin') Austin. 

ORU was among three D-1 schools that Reinke claimed had offered him a scholarship, but honestly I'm not sure whether he was very high up on our list of big-man prospects.

Meanwhile, Rivals.com is reporting that Will Reinke (Lawton, OK - 6-10/245 - Lawton H.S.) has committed to TMH's favorite program, Stephen F(rickin') Austin. 

ORU was among three D-1 schools that Reinke claimed had offered him a scholarship, but honestly I'm not sure that he was ever very high up on our list of big-man prospects.

Hope he's a "BIG" dud . . . :wink:

Hope he's a "BIG" dud . . . :wink:

Not wanting to get the whole "Summit vs. Southland" debate started again, but considering this kid is from Lawton (a good 3-1/2 hours from Tulsa), you have to wonder if the Southland Conference affords his family more opportunities to see him play within reasonable driving distance than the Summit League does.

On the other hand, our two recruits from Kansas City could argue the opposite for their family and friends.

Hey ORUBB - can you weigh in on this question?

Can not-yet-eligible Kevin Ford play in the exhibition games against SW Oklahoma on 11/8 and Rogers State on 11/11?

What about redshirt transfer Roderick Pearson?

Inquiring minds want to know :wink:!

It appears that we will only sign one player this Fall..... Damon Bell-Holter. My guess is that we will try to sign another big man in the Spring (Montreal) and leave the other scholarship open in case of a transfer,etc.

This guy sounds very good....and we are going up against Gonzaga and OU?....if we land this big man....TheEagleman will be quite impressed... 8-)