ORU releases men's basketball schedule

Section A

Hey, WakeFlip1 - here's the answer to your question from a few weeks back about how IPFW got Michigan State to come to their place:

NDSU releases its schedule

Kevin Schnepf

Sometimes, it’s who you know. Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne head coach Dane Fife was able to land a home game with Michigan State – whose head coach, Tom Izzo, has long been a family friend of the Fifes.

What'd I tell ya??  :-D

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Golden Boy

• Old Titan

• LarryL

• tmh8286

Great article.

Lets just hope New Mexico and Missouri return our phone calls next year.

Usually these contracts have a "buy out" clause, so ORU should get a check if the games don't happen.  I don't know anything about the game contracts, but that's usually how it works.  So ORU should get a good home game or a good amount of money next year.  Either way... we should be happy.

Great article.

Lets just hope New Mexico and Missouri return our phone calls next year.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  I'd anticipate they'll honor the deal, although I guess we won't know for sure till next year.

Usually these deals work out and the games are returned.  The buyouts usually happen if there was a coaching change in the middle of the contract fulfillment.

It looks to me like at least 3 Summit schools are time, money and energy killers because of distance, and complete duds for recruiting in that area - SDSU, NDSU,and SUU.  How bad is the Summit League hurting us? :x

It looks to me like at least 3 Summit schools are time, money and energy killers because of distance, and complete duds for recruiting in that area - SDSU, NDSU,and SUU.  How bad is the Summit League hurting us? :x

We hurt ourselves a LONG time ago, Larry. Being a member of the Midwest Collegiate Conference and dropping that affiliation to go independent in the mid 80's was one of the worst decisions in the history of college athletics.

20 years later and we are still paying for that decision.

Let's continue to build and win some more and ready ourselves for a JUMP! We are not ready now.

Hey, WakeFlip1 - here's the answer to your question from a few weeks back about how IPFW got Michigan State to come to their place:

What'd I tell ya??  :-D

I'll give it to ya OT, you know how the game works.

On a political note. I heard a story that put things in perspective for me.

There was a man named Dave who had a daughter named Sarah. Dave and Sarah had completely different political views. He was republican  and she was a democrat. They disagreed on every issue. Then time came for Sarah to go off to college. While she was there, she studied very hard and even worked hard too. She didn't want her dad's financial assistance so she worked hard enough to pay for her own school. On the other hand,  Sarah had a roommate Stacy who didn't study much and didn't have a job. Unlike Sarah, Stacy was depending on her dad for tuition. One day Dave called up his daughter Sarah to see how things are going. Sarah told her dad, things are tough, she's working hard and yet making time for studying and she believes she will have straight A's at the end of the semester. Dave thought that was great, he then asked Sarah how her roommate Stacy was doing. Sarah said, she's not doing so good. She parties all the time and don't think she will pass her classes. Dave replied, wait a minute Sarah, you have straight A's, isn't there some how you can give her some of your A's. I mean won't the school board allow you to give your roommate some of your good grades. She replied hastily, No way! Do you know how hard I've worked for these grades. While she's out partying, I stay up late studying, While she depends on her dads money, I work long and hard hours working to pay for these grades. Why should I give her something she didn't earn? Dave replied, Welcome to the Republican party.

That's a great story, wakeflip, and makes the point well, although I know there are those that disagree in principle.  I would suggest, though, that we keep the politically oriented stuff over on the Free For All board.  I know I'm guilty of breaking that rule earlier today myself, but I think the powers that be would like to keep basketball with basketball, and politics with politics.  Thanks!

If we were ready, what conference most likely would want us, have room for us, that we would be best suited for? :roll:

Dream Gig:  Missouri Valley

Close Second:  Horizon

Decent, But Unlikely:  Sunbelt

Lateral Move:  Southland

That's a great story, wakeflip, and makes the point well, although I know there are those that disagree in principle.  I would suggest, though, that we keep the politically oriented stuff over on the Free For All board.  I know I'm guilty of breaking that rule earlier today myself, but I think the powers that be would like to keep basketball with basketball, and politics with politics.  Thanks!

Okok, I know better, I just couldn't resist.

Yet, the politics of basketball are fare game right?

Like the wise old sage once said....if you are 21 and not a democrat, you have no heart.....if you are 41 and not a republican, you have no brains.....and personally, i like to see us get in that League with Hickory and Terhune..... :-D

Dream Gig:  Missouri Valley

Close Second:  Horizon

Decent, But Unlikely:  Sunbelt

Lateral Move:  Southland

I'd move to the Southland in a hot second if I was Mike Carter and had the chance. Think about how much money we'd save on travel. Plus, it'd be so much easier for students and alumni to get to many of the road conference games. Plus, I dunno much about it but I'm guessing the baseball conference is a little more competitive.

I'll give it to ya OT, you know how the game works.

On a political note. I heard a story that put things in perspective for me.

There was a man named Dave who had a daughter named Sarah. Dave and Sarah had completely different political views. He was republican  and she was a democrat. They disagreed on every issue. Then time came for Sarah to go off to college. While she was there, she studied very hard and even worked hard too. She didn't want her dad's financial assistance so she worked hard enough to pay for her own school. On the other hand,  Sarah had a roommate Stacy who didn't study much and didn't have a job. Unlike Sarah, Stacy was depending on her dad for tuition. One day Dave called up his daughter Sarah to see how things are going. Sarah told her dad, things are tough, she's working hard and yet making time for studying and she believes she will have straight A's at the end of the semester. Dave thought that was great, he then asked Sarah how her roommate Stacy was doing. Sarah said, she's not doing so good. She parties all the time and don't think she will pass her classes. Dave replied, wait a minute Sarah, you have straight A's, isn't there some how you can give her some of your A's. I mean won't the school board allow you to give your roommate some of your good grades. She replied hastily, No way! Do you know how hard I've worked for these grades. While she's out partying, I stay up late studying, While she depends on her dads money, I work long and hard hours working to pay for these grades. Why should I give her something she didn't earn? Dave replied, Welcome to the Republican party.

Boo

THUMBS DOWN on the story

Agreed...Let's move to the Southland..... 8-)

I'd move to the Southland in a hot second if I was Mike Carter and had the chance. Think about how much money we'd save on travel. Plus, it'd be so much easier for students and alumni to get to many of the road conference games. Plus, I dunno much about it but I'm guessing the baseball conference is a little more competitive.

You may be right, but consider this:  claustrophobic gyms and fields in smaller towns scattered across Texas and Louisiana, plus stiffer competition, would likely translate to fewer wins for all sports, not as many NCAA appearances, and less publicity for the school nationwide.  How is that good for ORU?