ORU releases men's basketball schedule

Section A

Baloney. Ego is what drove Sunny to OU, not an inability to achieve success at ORU. He left on his own, and nobody has missed him for one second.

big bro, perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying...I know Sunny left on his own and understand everyone feels it was an upgrade for ORU to be able to name Rob Walton as his successor.  I get it.  What I was suggesting was (and I'm sure ego played a motivating factor for Sunny) Coach Golloway left ORU because he was frustrated that he couldn't get over the hump of winning 50 games and making an annual NCAA Regional appearance...now, his ego may have said, "hey, I'm better than this and I can't take staying here where we can't go any farther than this" but had he believed he would be able to advance to a super regional and/or the college world series he would not have left to be an assistant coach at OU or anywhere.  Fundamentally, he thought the program had maxed out for him and he wasn't satisfied to stay and continue to win 50 go to a regional and go home which is what he believed would be the case if he stayed.

Love him or hate him, I respect the fact that he wasn't content to just ride the wave of status quo.  He was hungry for more and he left to go pursue it elsewhere.  Frankly, I personally think it was a win for everyone involved.  I wish Sunny the best at OU and don't think ORU could have a better guy to coach the Golden Eagles than Rob Walton...a high quality baseball guy.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Golden Boy

• Old Titan

• LarryL

• tmh8286

Larry, the answer is yes, I'm sure there is a buy out or penalty clause but the contracts could be cancelled and left unfulfilled if New Mexico or Missouri wanted to do so.  The University of Tulsa did something similar to Texas Tech for football this year.  It happens but let's hope and pray it doesn't happen to us in either of these situations.

GB...you are welcome to wish Sunny and OU the best.

I do not wish him or OU the best. I sincerely, with every fiber in my being, hope he loses every game at OU and ends up as an assistant coach at Chicago St.

I do not wish him or OU the best. I sincerely, with every fiber in my being, hope he loses every game at OU and ends up as an assistant coach at Chicago St.

WOW!!  That's a pretty serious grudge there, voice!!

I was going to answer your questions, Larry, but got sidetracked.  Coaches  enter into contractual agreements when they schedule games, so they are fairly locked in.  I know that games are sometimes changed and/or canceled, so I guess there is some allowance for that, but with these teams I think you can count on them returning those games, barring some really unusual situation. 

And I can tell you for sure that there are return games coming from Missouri and New Mexico.

TMH - thanks for the answer . . . that's why you have a user rating of +71! :-D            e'reway otnay orthyway

Don't hold back - tell us how you really feel! :-D

WOW!!  That's a pretty serious grudge there, voice!!

Not a grudge. Just treated like TOTAL CRAP by the guy for many years, while doing the PA for his team. Just as he treated most people (even ORU staffers), like CRAP.

In my 20 years at ORU, there has NEVER been a coach more HATEFUL toward everyone, as was Sunny.

My feelings about him are identical to almost everyone he came in contact with at ORU. There wasn't one ORU staffer that was sad to see him go, that I am aware of, other than Golden Boy...

big bro, perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying...I know Sunny left on his own and understand everyone feels it was an upgrade for ORU to be able to name Rob Walton as his successor.  I get it.  What I was suggesting was (and I'm sure ego played a motivating factor for Sunny) Coach Golloway left ORU because he was frustrated that he couldn't get over the hump of winning 50 games and making an annual NCAA Regional appearance...now, his ego may have said, "hey, I'm better than this and I can't take staying here where we can't go any farther than this" but had he believed he would be able to advance to a super regional and/or the college world series he would not have left to be an assistant coach at OU or anywhere.  Fundamentally, he thought the program had maxed out for him and he wasn't satisfied to stay and continue to win 50 go to a regional and go home which is what he believed would be the case if he stayed.

Love him or hate him, I respect the fact that he wasn't content to just ride the wave of status quo.  He was hungry for more and he left to go pursue it elsewhere.  Frankly, I personally think it was a win for everyone involved.  I wish Sunny the best at OU and don't think ORU could have a better guy to coach the Golden Eagles than Rob Walton...a high quality baseball guy.

GB- You apparently drank the Sunny kool-aid a long time ago. I spit it out the first chance I got.

Baloney. Ego is what drove Sunny to OU, not an inability to achieve success at ORU. He left on his own, and nobody has missed him for one second.

AMEN Brother  +1

There wasn't one ORU staffer that was sad to see him go, that I am aware of, other than Golden Boy...

voice, just a couple of points here...

(1) I wasn't on staff at ORU when Sunny resigned and left ORU...that was what, back in the summer of 2003?  My time at ORU ended in the fall of 1999.

(2) It's at best a stretch to say I was "sad to see (Sunny) go" back to OU.  I recognize the success ORU experienced under Sunny and appreciate the life he breathed back into our baseball program.  However, as I said before in this thread ultimately it was a win-win deal because it has turned out great for ORU with Rob Walton and Sunny eventually got what he wanted by being named the Sooners' head coach. 

No doubt, Sunny's a passionate and firey guy who obviously can have an abrasive personality but that's not really a necessary topic of debate on the basketball board and arguably not appropriate for the ORU message board in general.  I'll take ownership of introducing his name to this thread because I'm the one to cite his exit as an understandable example of why a coach might leave ORU if he felt his particular program had gone as far as it could under his leadership.  However I had no idea it would take a life of it's own so my sincere apologies...didn't mean for it to go there.

GB- You apparently drank the Sunny kool-aid a long time ago. I spit it out the first chance I got.

Actually my man, I really didn't... for those that really know, I was in the minority on the search committee who thought we should have hired a different guy when we hired Sunny.  That information was unfortunately leaked to him after his hire and as a result there were a few challenging moments for Sunny and me.  We worked through that and were both able to put it behind us, so ultimately we had a solid working relationship during our time together at ORU.  Perhaps the fact that we were able to find a way to unite and work through that is why I have a certain level of respect for Sunny that others don't.

That said, again this isn't probably the right thread to have this discussion but I wanted to clarify that I was never a Kool-Aid kid all the way back to day one of the interview process.  8-)

Anyone wanna hear the story (again) about how Sunny once challenged me to a fist fight?

Over the phone??

Never trust a man who, when you play pick-up basketball, always calls nit-picky fouls on everyone else, but never thinks a foul called against him is fair.

But hey, you don't have to take our word for it; ask anybody at OU, too!

Come to think of it, ask George Frazier - he pops a vein every time Sunny's name gets mentioned.  He ripped Sunny a new one on the air at "The Sports Animal" a couple of months ago.  It was epic.  :lol:

voice, just a couple of points here...

(1) I wasn't on staff at ORU when Sunny resigned and left ORU...that was what, back in the summer of 2003?  My time at ORU ended in the fall of 1999.

(2) It's at best a stretch to say I was "sad to see (Sunny) go" back to OU.  I recognize the success ORU experienced under Sunny and appreciate the life he breathed back into our baseball program.  However, as I said before in this thread ultimately it was a win-win deal because it has turned out great for ORU with Rob Walton and Sunny eventually got what he wanted by being named the Sooners' head coach. 

No doubt, Sunny's a passionate and firey guy who obviously can have an abrasive personality but that's not really a necessary topic of debate on the basketball board and arguably not appropriate for the ORU message board in general.  I'll take ownership of introducing his name to this thread because I'm the one to cite his exit as an understandable example of why a coach might leave ORU if he felt his particular program had gone as far as it could under his leadership.  However I had no idea it would take a life of it's own so my sincere apologies...didn't mean for it to go there.

Sunny has some positives. I don't mean to totally crack the guy.

His daughter did a wonderful pictorial that I personally enjoyed, very much!

Sunny has some positives. I don't mean to totally crack the guy.

His daughter did a wonderful pictorial that I personally enjoyed, very much!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-o

OK... I enjoyed it, too!