ORU releases men's basketball schedule

Section A

With all due respect, that's a pathetic home schedule...and yet I'm doubling my Golden Eagle Club membership/season ticket package for this season...why?  Because for me personally, I don't make my GEC purchase based on the value of anything I receive, instead my buying decision is based on giving back to something that has meant an awful lot to me over the last 20+ years.

That said, my wife and family/work schedule permitting, there are several road trips I'd love to make to watch us play...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Golden Boy

• Old Titan

• LarryL

• tmh8286

Well said, OT and GB....i guess theEagleman is going to have to anti up and join....... :-D

With all due respect, that's a pathetic home schedule...and yet I'm doubling my Golden Eagle Club membership/season ticket package for this season...why?  Because for me personally, I don't make my GEC purchase based on the value of anything I receive, instead my buying decision is based on giving back to something that has meant an awful lot to me over the last 20+ years.

That said, my wife and family/work schedule permitting, there are several road trips I'd love to make to watch us play...

GB, well said, sir.  There states the passion and conviction of a man who puts his money where his mouth is!  Outside of a person's local church, we should make a financial and time commitment to those ministries that we have a connection with, regardless of the benefits (tangible or intangible) received.

As Golden Boy states this is a pathetic (home) schedule.  While I also consider a good portion of my GEC membership as giving back to the community, as a fan I expect a reasonable value for my season ticket purchase.  This home schedule did not meet expectations.  I find it hard to believe that other Mid-Majors similar to ORU don't have the same type of scheduling issues and would be willing to schedule a home and away contract.  I don't let the coaches off so easily.

That said the cost of this seasons home schedule is a great schedule next year.  My expectations will be exceeded next year only if season ticket or GEC Memberships are not significantly increased because of the better schedule and the games are played at Mabee and not the new BOK.

TU also has a pathetic home schedule and gave away home court advantage by agreeing to hold this years "home game" versus OU at the BOK and sold out its season ticket holders by not including this game in the season ticket package (extra $50 per ticket).

I would love to go to Creighton, MO, NM or NC this year.

Speaking for myself, the W-L pre-conference record is not an issue, as long as we are playing quality opponents on the road.  The team will be the better for it.  I would just like to see the Mabee Center host a few more quality non-conference opponents, for the fan's sake, and to build the reputation of the program. I am still incredulous that mid-major conferences cannot get together and trade games.  But, that's already been hashed and rehashed. Any mid-major school would have been better than John Brown.

The TU game is certainly significant this year in that it has the potential to launch our season and boost our confidence if we could pull off a win.  While it's not easy to play at the Reynolds Center, I think our guys will be up for the game.  It's more a question of whether the team will have gelled enough at that point to put their best foot forward.

I honestly think it is completely unfair to bag on the coaches or AD for not having many stellar non-conference home games.  This is the direct result of the difference between the haves and the have nots in Division 1.  The athletic department certainly did everything they could and expecting more is asking them to be miracle workers. 

Every once in a while there will be a year like this from a schedule standpoint unless we suddenly make a Gonzaga-like run in the tournament and therefore significantly increase our fan base and in the process become a team that other teams want to play as a measuring stick, or unless we wake up tomorrow and the Missouri Valley conference has extended an invitation for us to join.  The high profile road games and 2 for 1 deals eventually catch up with you.

As always, our goal is to make the NCAA tournament, and so every game matters big-time as far as seeding is concerned.  So, I certainly hope we can be better off than 2-8 or 1-9 after 10 games.  That seems a little too pessimistic.  With the Puerto Rico tournament, and John Brown, and a decent chance to beat Tulsa, and a decent chance to beat UALR at the Mabee Center, I don't think hoping for a .500 record or near .500 by the end of December is out of the question.

As Golden Boy states this is a pathetic (home) schedule.  While I also consider a good portion of my GEC membership as giving back to the community, as a fan I expect a reasonable value for my season ticket purchase.  This home schedule did not meet expectations.  I find it hard to believe that other Mid-Majors similar to ORU don't have the same type of scheduling issues and would be willing to schedule a home and away contract.  I don't let the coaches off so easily.

That said the cost of this seasons home schedule is a great schedule next year.  My expectations will be exceeded next year only if season ticket or GEC Memberships are not significantly increased because of the better schedule and the games are played at Mabee and not the new BOK.

TU also has a pathetic home schedule and gave away home court advantage by agreeing to hold this years "home game" versus OU at the BOK and sold out its season ticket holders by not including this game in the season ticket package (extra $50 per ticket).

I would love to go to Creighton, MO, NM or NC this year.

I really hope you don't think the coaches are sitting around their offices today throwing a party because John Brown is on the home schedule.  Do you not realize how far ORU has come during the last five years?  The fact that New Mexico is giving us a one-for-one and Missouri a two-for-one is a testament to the direction our program is going.  I can guarantee you that the coaches did everything they could to find other D1 teams to fill our home slate. 

The face that people on this board are disappointed at the lack of home games ( especially taking into consideration what next year's slate is going to look like)and calling the schedule pathetic is beyond me.  Three straight trips to the dance should tell you our coaches know what they're doing better than anyone on this board would.

Frankly, with this young, untested team, I have to hand it to Scott & Co. for not using the "nobody will play us" alibi as an excuse to schedule a half dozen John Brown's.

That's what I would have done in their shoes, and I said as much in a couple of different posts this summer.

Does no one here remember how Billy Tubbs, Nolan Richardson, and Eddie Sutton were famous every year for scheduling "The Bum of the Week" for their home non-conference schedules?

Even as recently as a couple of years ago, TU's Doug Wojcik scheduled enough SWAC teams in the Reynolds Center to practically qualify for league membership.

Instead, Sutton manned up and scheduled just one "gimme", while opting for a non-conference road schedule that more closely resembles the Bataan Death March.

If this was anything more than a one-season anomaly, I might share some of the concerns expressed within this thread.

But, for those of you who seem incapable of accepting ANY of the variety of valid explanations posted herein, I can only offer this:  "Spoiled much?"  :roll:

IMO the home schedule is a joke.  11 home games versus 19 away.  Only 2 home games before Conference begins with one of these games against an NAIA team. 

I would like to think your comments above amount to merely an emotional, knee-jerk reaction, because here are some factors you failed to consider:

• The two exhibition games at home may not count on the official record, but they are in fact two additional opportunities to see the guys play from the comfort of your reserved seats (presumably in Section A), complete with the same band, cheerleaders, concessions, promotions, etc. as a regular season game.  That's why they are part of your season ticket package.  The only difference between the exhibition games and a regular season game is the caliber of opponent.  For all intents and purposes, they should be included in your count of home games, pushing that total from 11 to 13 home contests, but I will leave them out of the official count, for argument's sake.

• Three of your so-called "road games" (in San Juan) are neutral site tournament games, which over the past few years have provided ORU with some of their greatest wins (Georgetown, Seton Hall, Southern Cal, Oklahoma State).  They represent the best chance we have every year of getting to play bigger-name schools on neutral ground.  I wish we could play in three or four tournaments like this every year!

So, rather than your simplistically lopsided "11 home games, 19 away" tally, this year's schedule actually includes 11 regular season home games, 2 exhibition games, and three neutral court games, plus at least one game in the conference tournament in Sioux Falls (the site of which, try as you might, can't be blamed on the ORU coaching staff).

It may not be as glamorous as most would like, but neither is it "a joke" or "pathetic".  Here's how it compares to recent seasons:

2008-09:  11 home games (plus 2 exhibitions), 16 road games, at least 4 neutral court games.

2007-08:  13 home games (plus 2 exhibitions), 14 road games, 6 neutral court games.

2006-07:  14 home games (plus 2 exhibitions), 14 road games, 6 neutral court games.

2005-06:  12 home games (plus 2 exhibitions), 14 road games, 7 neutral court games.

2004-05:  13 home games (plus 2 exhibitions), 15 road games, 5 neutral court games.

We're only talking about a couple of games here and there, people.  For cryin' out loud, deal with it for one season.  :x

I wouldn't quite call the United Center "away" for UNC ... there will be more people there in Tar Heel blue than Valpo puke and gold.

I really hope you don't think the coaches are sitting around their offices today throwing a party because John Brown is on the home schedule.  Do you not realize how far ORU has come during the last five years?  The fact that New Mexico is giving us a one-for-one and Missouri a two-for-one is a testament to the direction our program is going.  I can guarantee you that the coaches did everything they could to find other D1 teams to fill our home slate. 

The face that people on this board are disappointed at the lack of home games ( especially taking into consideration what next year's slate is going to look like)and calling the schedule pathetic is beyond me.  Three straight trips to the dance should tell you our coaches know what they're doing better than anyone on this board would.

GREAT. FIRST. POST.

+1.

Anyone who complains about our scheduling is simply uninformed or just not real smart.

I have to agree with voice.  Great first post!  I hope you continue to post on the board.  +1

only home game missing is the little sisters of the poor

No we still play TU :-D....heyo (Sorry couldn't resist that he really lobbed that one in there)

I have to agree with voice.  Great first post!  I hope you continue to post on the board.  +1

+1 Coach Dale....very solid post

hoosiers.jpg

I love NormanDale...how do our boys from Hickory look this year and the big question....can we beat Terhune?.... :-D

UNC at Valpo???????.....go figure....is that a return game or is Roy Williams doing someone a favor?.....i could use the same kind of favor from Pam Anderson..... :-D