Sutton Seeks Hard Road Now (Tulsa World 8/7/08)

Old Titan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarryL

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

Gotta love it....but i would feel so much better if Thomas and Jesus were the ORU starting backcourt....... :-D.....+1

Incoming freshman (and their parents) were on campus over the weekend - and Scott Sutton addressed the group (including me) in an event at the AC.  He told the students that he had been a coach at ORU for 14 years, and he had never been more excited to be a part of Oral Roberts University.  I assumed that he was primarily referring to all of the positive changes at the University, but I also don't believe that he would be talking like that if he was planning on going 3-9 in the upcoming non-conference season. :-D

I agree, Blue....i don't think we will be 3-9 either....Scott will find a way to get some Ws that we won't expect.....he will find a way to get to the new year around .500 at least.....but, let's see how the schedule looks and our young players in practice and exhibition play......can't wait to see how we stack up against Terhune..... :-D

I'm excited that he's excited.  I hope it translates into not only great things for this season, but job satisfaction and longevity in the years to come.  Does anyone know if Mart Green has made any public statements specifically about ORU sports, such as his commitment to supporting them, etc.?

Do you people expect him to get up in front of a crowd of students and say, "Hey guys, come out and support us, even though I know we gonna get the crap kicked out of us in non-conference play"?

:? :? :?

Only speaking for myself, NO.  I would expect him to say something like this:  "This season looks to be more exciting than any other in my 14 years here, but at the same time, the most challenging.  We have a good team, but in order to pull this off and be successful, it is going to take the team playing at their top level, it is going to take the students turning out like never before, and the community getting behind us.  However it turns out, we are going to work hard, have fun, and make ORU proud."  I believe many of us will be suprised at  how well they do.

:? :? :?

Only speaking for myself, NO.  I would expect him to say something like this:  "This season looks to be more exciting than any other in my 14 years here, but at the same time, the most challenging.  We have a good team, but in order to pull this off and be successful, it is going to take the team playing at their top level, it is going to take the students turning out like never before, and the community getting behind us.  However it turns out, we are going to work hard, have fun, and make ORU proud."  I believe many of us will be suprised at  how well they do.

Oh, that sounds much better!

I'm excited that he's excited.  I hope it translates into not only great things for this season, but job satisfaction and longevity in the years to come.  Does anyone know if Mart Green has made any public statements specifically about ORU sports, such as his commitment to supporting them, etc.?

Mart Green is very much behind ORU athletics.  Mart Green is also very much behind ORU "economic sustainability".  How exactly those two things come together is yet to be worked out.

Do you people expect him to get up in front of a crowd of students and say, "Hey guys, come out and support us, even though I know we gonna get the crap kicked out of us in non-conference play"?

No, but he could have always gone with the old "Lou Holtz/Mack Brown/Ken Hayes/Kelvin Sampson/Eddie Sutton/etc." approach of "You know, I really like this team, but we lost so many good players from last year, and our schedule's so tough this season, and we have trouble scoring on offense, and our defense has been pretty poor, and you know everyone wants to beat us, I just don't know how we're going to win any games at all, but we'll show up and try, and hopefully things will go our way, but don't count on it, blah, blah, blah...."

If you're happy and you know it, clap your darn hands, I always say!  :-D

(editor's note:  until it comes to playing a better team in the NCAA tournament, at which point you say EXACTLY what the Holtz/Brown/Hayes/Sampson/Sutton crowd would say.  Why?  Because you're not trying to sell season tickets in the NCAA tournament; you're just trying to stay off the opponent's hometown sports page and locker room bulletin board.)

Incoming freshman (and their parents) were on campus over the weekend - and Scott Sutton addressed the group (including me) in an event at the AC.  He told the students that he had been a coach at ORU for 14 years, and he had never been more excited to be a part of Oral Roberts University.  I assumed that he was primarily referring to all of the positive changes at the University, but I also don't believe that he would be talking like that if he was planning on going 3-9 in the upcoming non-conference season. :-D

Blue, it was good to meet you while you were here dropping off your son.  I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you since I'm sure you're wife won't like being so far from her little boy huh.  Just go ahead and plan on coming in Feb for Homecoming.