Sutton Seeks Hard Road Now (Tulsa World 8/7/08)

Old Titan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarryL

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

There is a lot of information in that article.....

North Carolina

Missouri

New Mexico

USC

Creighton

Tulsa

That is quite a road schedule......

Updated preliminary schedule:

??            ??            EXHIBITION GAME #1

??            ??            EXHIBITION GAME #2

Nov. 15    Sat.          at Tulsa

??            ??            NON-CONFERENCE HOME GAME #1

??            ??            NON-CONFERENCE HOME GAME #2

??            ??            at Creighton

??            ??            at Louisiana-Lafayette

??            ??            at Missouri

Dec. 4      Thur.        at North Dakota State #

Dec. 6      Sat.          at South Dakota State #

Dec. 13    Sat.          at North Carolina

Dec. 17    Wed.        at New Mexico

Dec. 20    Sat.        vs. Wright State ¶

Dec. 21    Sun.        vs. Murray State ¶

Dec. 22    Mon.        vs. South Florida ¶

Dec. 28    Sun.        at Southern Cal

Jan. 2      Fri.            CENTENARY #

Jan. 8      Thur.        IPFW #

Jan. 10    Sat.          OAKLAND #

Jan. 15    Thu.        at IUPUI #

Jan. 17    Sat.          at Western Illinois #

Jan. 22    Thur.        UMKC #

Jan. 24    Sat.          SOUTHERN UTAH # 

Jan. 31    Sat.          at Centenary #

Feb. 5      Thur.        at Oakland #

Feb. 7      Sat.          at IPFW #

Feb. 12    Thur.        WESTERN ILLINOIS #

Feb. 14    Sat.          IUPUI #

Feb. 19    Thur.        at Southern Utah # 

Feb. 21    Sat.          at UMKC #

Feb. 26    Thur.        SOUTH DAKOTA STATE #

Feb. 28    Sat.          NORTH DAKOTA STATE #

Mar. 7-10 Summit League Tourney

home games in bold

# Summit League games

¶  San Juan Shootout (San Juan, Puerto Rico)

I was wanting them to get out to the Carolinas somewhere, but UNC? Wahoo!!  It will be an extremely tough road schedule, but the Eagles will be the better team for it.

Assistant Coach Conley Phipps' dad, who travels to every ORU road game, is either going to need a new set of tires on his car in December, or he's going to be racking up some HUGE frequent flyer miles!  8-)

There is a lot of information in that article.....

North Carolina

Missouri

New Mexico

USC

Creighton

Tulsa

That is quite a road schedule......

I'm already thinking about the home schedule in November and December for next year:

Tulsa

Missouri

New Mexico

Summit League Game #1

Summit League Game #2

Q&A WITH ORU'S SCOTT SUTTON

20080807_b3sutton_article.jpg

(excerpt)

By MIKE BROWN, World sports writer

8/7/2008

Scott Sutton has had a busy offseason since guiding ORU to a third straight NCAA Tournament. He withdrew from consideration to become TCU's new head coach, signed more promising recruits and dismissed three players for failure to comply with team policy. Now, he's about to unveil a rugged 2008-09 schedule. Sutton spent a little time catching up recently by participating in a question-and-answer session with the Tulsa World.

Link to Tulsa World

Assistant Coach Conley Phipps' dad, who travels to every ORU road game, is either going to need a new set of tires on his car in December, or he's going to be racking up some HUGE frequent flyer miles!  8-)

Hey that guy won't fly.  I think the only time he has flown was to Hawaii and Canada.  He just drives solo to every game in his Navigator... assuming that's what he still drives.  I guess he'll be flying to San Juan unless he decides to upgrade to one of those amphibian type Ducks you see in Branson.

Man, that is a tough schedule there!!!!

Lot of frequent flyer miles and tough games.

Pretty good recruiting tool with NC and USC and such on the schedule!

Will the [North Carolina] game be on television?

I don't know whether it will be on national TV or a game on (North Carolina's) package. I think without question that our fans will be able to watch the game. I don't know if they'll want to watch it, but they'll be able to watch it.

That is classic Scott Sutton dry humor.  I love it :-D!  I can even see him saying it - looking at the floor, grinning on one side, and rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

Here it is - UNC underestimates ORU, and they come out flat; ORU plays their best game, and then . . . their newest greatest upset in school history!

I'm excited, if we wanted to elevate as a program we have to keep playing bigger and bigger teams.  This is great news after playing UNC our guys at least shouldn't be intimidated by our Summitt foes.  We should be ready to compete in conference play.

I stumbled across this article in the Tulsa World before making my way over to the board. When I saw North Carolina, I reasoned away the Tarheels as the actual opponent because ORU playing Carolina was only a dream in my head that I thought would NEVER happen. Surely they must be talking about UNC Charlotte or UNC Ashville. Maybe even UNC Greensboro. Definitely not The "UNC". I continued to read, and it soon became clear that my dream had become a reality. I was excited, but surprisingly shellshocked and torn. Not because I won't know who to cheer for. After being weened on Carolina Blue since birth, my #1 allegiance switched to ORU the day I stepped foot in the Mabee Center for my first basketball game.  The "bitter-sweetness" was because I just wish they hadn't caught us with one of our most inexperienced team, after we've had some player defections and other players that can't start until January. I've always wanted the Golden Eagles to play in the Tarheel state to show folks in that part of the country what a great product we have in a university and athletic program. Regardless of the outcome of the game, I hope that is what they see. I do know that to see ORU and UNC on the same court will be an awesome experience for everyone involved, especially me!

I stumbled across this article in the Tulsa World before making my way over to the board. When I saw North Carolina, I reasoned away the Tarheels as the actual opponent because ORU playing Carolina was only a dream in my head that I thought would NEVER happen. Surely they must be talking about UNC Charlotte or UNC Ashville. Maybe even UNC Greensboro. Definitely not The "UNC". I continued to read, and it soon became clear that my dream had become a reality. I was excited, but surprisingly shellshocked and torn. Not because I won't know who to cheer for. After being weened on Carolina Blue since birth, my #1 allegiance switched to ORU the day I stepped foot in the Mabee Center for my first basketball game.  The "bitter-sweetness" was because I just wish they hadn't caught us with one of our most inexperienced team, after we've had some player defections and other players that can't start until January. I've always wanted the Golden Eagles to play in the Tarheel state to show folks in that part of the country what a great product we have in a university and athletic program. Regardless of the outcome of the game, I hope that is what they see. I do know that to see ORU and UNC on the same court will be an awesome experience for everyone involved, especially me!

I think that this will be the first game after the fall semester and grades should be in by this time.  If so, Ford should be available for this game.  I'm not aware of any other players eligible at semester.

Lord knows they will need him for that game.

I wonder what anyone else thinks about this NC team being the best that ORU has ever played? Just wondering what everyone thinks?

Here is an image from the 73-74 Basketball Guide. Not sure what game this is from.

wi7tbt.jpg