Sutton Seeks Hard Road Now (Tulsa World 8/7/08)

Old Titan

Clete, you tell him. Sectionals of '33, one point down. Five, four, three, two, one, let 'er fly... in and out. Yeah, well, I was fouled...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarryL

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

"Let's run the picket fence at 'em...and don't get caught watching the paint dry."

Oh, ye of little faith...  :wink:

For the record, I never said we might not have a problem in the rebounding department, especially against the better teams on our non-conference schedule, due to our obvious lack of height.

But that's not the same as whether or not we can defend long enough each defensive possession to force the opponent into a shot they don't want to take.

You will never convince me until I see it that a Scott Sutton team, with this year's level of talent, playing his style of man-to-man, can't be good defensively.

Sure, Shawn and Yemi were great defensive players last year - but it's not like they were on the floor together the whole game, wreaking havoc.  Fact is, Yemi averaged only 26.4 minutes a game last year, Sean just 21.5 (which is even less than Marcus Lewis' 22.4), while Sango averaged only 16 minutes a game mainly because Jarvis, Ehambe and Liberty gobbled up all the minutes at the 1-through-3 spots.

As for last year being our best year ever statistically on defense, please consider this:  is it possible that playing a record total of 21 games against Summit League competition (18 regular season, 3 post-season), where we normally have an edge in talent, contributed to our overall defensive averages for the entire season?

For the umpteenth time:  every year, players leave - it's a fact of college basketball.  The faces may change, but with this coaching staff we always seem to find a way to play good defense - and win.  We survived LSG moving on, we survived Larry Owens moving on, we survived Ken and Caleb moving on, and we will survive last year's seniors moving on, also.

OT, I am entirely with you, my friend! I realize we've got a hard road to go in the fall, but the way I've been reading it, there have been few encouragements for any players that might be reading these posts. We have some seniors that are here for this year and not for next! While they probably love ORU, their main concern is how competitive we are this year and probably do not relish reading from the faithful that we hold out little hope for them winning any games in the fall and that we are primarily interested in what may be a home and home series for next year!

These players signed up with ORU because they believe that Coach Sutton has the stuff to turn them into a good team. I believe the best of them are ready to bust their butts to work with whatever plan Scott has for molding them into winners. Calling the outcome of any games either way right now is not helpful to the student athletes that this board is here to support, IMHO. I think they play because they believe that on any given day, if they bring their A game, they have a chance to beat any competition that has been lined up for them.

I've never been on a locker room at that level. Does the coach ever say, "Guys, you're going to lose, but make the best of it and learn from it." Help me if I'm wrong, but I think that would be a tremendous de-motivator.

I prefer to err on the side of believing that Sutton can mold these boys into a team that can compete and win on their given days. I know this sounds a little highfalutin and I'm sorry, but I believe that we should err on the side of believing in these guys and our coach.

Did you guys know what the guys had in them prior to last season? Didn't we learn anything? Did we write "Expect a miracle" on the floorboards because we couldn't think of anything else to write there and we wanted something to brighten up the plain wood finish?

Let's start acting like ORU supporters!

There, I sound like a real butt, I know, because I know you guys love this team and school, but I still think it needed to be said!

This one would be good for our guys this year:

"Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team - no one more important that the other."

Thank God for Ron! I was getting a little tired of the negativity disguised as "Being Realistic".  Let the guys play, trust the coach, and let's cheer for our Eagles!

One of my favorite motivating lines is....

"You're five foot nothin, a hundred and nothin, and you haven't got a speck of athletic ability in you!"

OT, I am entirely with you, my friend! I realize we've got a hard road to go in the fall, but the way I've been reading it, there have been few encouragements for any players that might be reading these posts. We have some seniors that are here for this year and not for next! While they probably love ORU, their main concern is how competitive we are this year and probably do not relish reading from the faithful that we hold out little hope for them winning any games in the fall and that we are primarily interested in what may be a home and home series for next year!

These players signed up with ORU because they believe that Coach Sutton has the stuff to turn them into a good team. I believe the best of them are ready to bust their butts to work with whatever plan Scott has for molding them into winners. Calling the outcome of any games either way right now is not helpful to the student athletes that this board is here to support, IMHO. I think they play because they believe that on any given day, if they bring their A game, they have a chance to beat any competition that has been lined up for them.

I've never been on a locker room at that level. Does the coach ever say, "Guys, you're going to lose, but make the best of it and learn from it." Help me if I'm wrong, but I think that would be a tremendous de-motivator.

I prefer to err on the side of believing that Sutton can mold these boys into a team that can compete and win on their given days. I know this sounds a little highfalutin and I'm sorry, but I believe that we should err on the side of believing in these guys and our coach.

Did you guys know what the guys had in them prior to last season? Didn't we learn anything? Did we write "Expect a miracle" on the floorboards because we couldn't think of anything else to write there and we wanted something to brighten up the plain wood finish?

Let's start acting like ORU supporters!

There, I sound like a real butt, I know, because I know you guys love this team and school, but I still think it needed to be said!

EagleButtMan???...oh well, i hear that Terhune is our other November game at Mabee..... :-D........and that is one of my favorite movie quotes of all time...."let's run the picket fence at 'em....and don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!"...... 8-)

How about this one . . .

"You're gonna eat lightning, and you're gonna crap thunder!" (Rocky)

I like that one pretty well . . .

Ron & OT...

Jesus didn't rebuke Thomas for his 'doubting'. And, Paul commended early believers for questioning/testing what they heard.

Please differentiate between someone who is examing things realistically, as opposed to someone just being 'negative'. You can be a FAN and still be discerning.

You are welcome in advance for your bible/basketball lesson for the day.

But when talking with Thomas, Jesus did follow up with the statement,

"blessed are those who have NOT seen and YET HAVE BELIEVED."  :-)