Sutton Seeks Hard Road Now (Tulsa World 8/7/08)

Old Titan

We'll be in all of them until the opening tip...

Coach Sutton will probably break out the old measuring tape and show the guys that the baskets at UNC are the same height as ours.  We have nothing to loose on this tough schedule, it’ll only make us stronger.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LarryL

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

Voice, you sound like a broken record brother...Here's your prediction from last year

Re: Official W-L Prediction Thread

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:51:01 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"17-12 at the end of the regular season.

3 wins in the conference tourney, taking us to 20-12.

Honestly though, I think this prediction is a bit bold and optimistic. 15-14 is more likely if I were being COMPLETELY objective. But, would still have a chance to win the conference tourney.

Next year....different story."

AND This later in the tread

Re: Official W-L Prediction Thread

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:51 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to get off track on this thread tmh and I am focused on THIS season, but if things play out over the next week or so the way I think they will and with the emergence of the three freshman this year (Hardy, Dunn, & Stokes), with what we'll have coming in.......next year (and the next several) could be AWESOME!!!"

Too many times I think we want to be cautious in our optimism because there are so many unknowns like Terry said.  Lets believe the best since all of us were proven to be a little too pessimistic last year.  I choose to think that SS and staff can build this team into a very good team THIS year and quickly.  There weren't many who thought a 24-9 record would be possible last year after who we lost the year before.  Stay upbeat until we know what we have.

If we hadn't played the best team defense in school history last season, Voice probably would have been right. You can't count on that (defense) happening again.

If we hadn't played the best team defense in school history last season, Voice probably would have been right. You can't count on that (defense) happening again.

Why not?

No matter how bad a shooting team you have, or how short a team you have, or how young a team you have, there's no reason why you can't play solid team defense if you have a good number of athletes with some quicks and some heart.

By all indications, we have a good number of athletes with some quicks - time will tell if they have the "valentines" to go with them.

Look....I hope I am pleasantly surprised. I hope ALL of our new players are STUDS and contribute BIG, right off the bat. But, there are a BUNCH of question marks.

I just get annoyed when people start throwing out predictions on 18 year olds, many of which have never played a single minute of college basketball.

We MAY be REALLY GOOD this year! These new guys may be the REAL DEAL!

I just look at how thin we are in the post (especially first semester) and look at the contenders for our backup point guard role and it doesn't exactly make me want to start throwing out predictions of our greatness.

Why not?

No matter how bad a shooting team you have, or how short a team you have, or how young a team you have, there's no reason why you can't play solid team defense if you have a good number of athletes with some quicks and some heart.

By all indications, we have a good number of athletes with some quicks - time will tell if they have the "valentines" to go with them.

Why not? Because this team doesn't have a 6-10 shot-blocking center, or a 6-9 wing who plays great man defense. Our best defensive player coming into this season is a career 15-minutes-per-game guy.

Because freshmen don't typically play very good defense, and last time I checked we have at least four who will play potentially significant minutes.

Because our best perimeter offensive threat is 5-9 and can't keep larger players from shooting over him.

You can't expect our defense to be as good or better. It's completely unrealistic. Can it happen? Yes. Will it? Don't hold your breath.

There is little chance this team wins more than 17 games in the regular season. The 'gimme' wins just aren't there.

Why not? Because this team doesn't have a 6-10 shot-blocking center, or a 6-9 wing who plays great man defense. Our best defensive player coming into this season is a career 15-minutes-per-game guy.

Because freshmen don't typically play very good defense, and last time I checked we have at least four who will play potentially significant minutes.

Because our best perimeter offensive threat is 5-9 and can't keep larger players from shooting over him.

You can't expect our defense to be as good or better. It's completely unrealistic. Can it happen? Yes. Will it? Don't hold your breath.

There is little chance this team wins more than 17 games in the regular season. The 'gimme' wins just aren't there.

Why your user rating is ONLY +8 is beyond me...

We are ALL smarter from reading your posts. It's just unfortunate that most don't realize it.

Why your user rating is ONLY +8 is beyond me...

We are ALL smarter from reading your posts. It's just unfortunate that most don't realize it.

You obviously haven't been keeping track of where his user rating was . . .

I have to agree with ORUBB all the way on his last post.

I think hell may have just froze over...

I hear that our opening home game is going to be against Hickory...i think that is probably a winnable game..... :-D

I imagine this is classic Eagleman humor, but I have to ask - Hickory What?  There is a DII school called Wingate in Hickory, NC - what Hickory, if any, are you talking about? :?

Oh, ye of little faith...  :wink:

For the record, I never said we might not have a problem in the rebounding department, especially against the better teams on our non-conference schedule, due to our obvious lack of height.

But that's not the same as whether or not we can defend long enough each defensive possession to force the opponent into a shot they don't want to take.

You will never convince me until I see it that a Scott Sutton team, with this year's level of talent, playing his style of man-to-man, can't be good defensively.

Sure, Shawn and Yemi were great defensive players last year - but it's not like they were on the floor together the whole game, wreaking havoc.  Fact is, Yemi averaged only 26.4 minutes a game last year, Sean just 21.5 (which is even less than Marcus Lewis' 22.4), while Sango averaged only 16 minutes a game mainly because Jarvis, Ehambe and Liberty gobbled up all the minutes at the 1-through-3 spots.

As for last year being our best year ever statistically on defense, please consider this:  is it possible that playing a record total of 21 games against Summit League competition (18 regular season, 3 post-season), where we normally have an edge in talent, contributed to our overall defensive averages for the entire season?

For the umpteenth time:  every year, players leave - it's a fact of college basketball.  The faces may change, but with this coaching staff we always seem to find a way to play good defense - and win.  We survived LSG moving on, we survived Larry Owens moving on, we survived Ken and Caleb moving on, and we will survive last year's seniors moving on, also.

I imagine this is classic Eagleman humor, but I have to ask - Hickory What?  There is a DII school called Wingate in Hickory, NC - what Hickory, if any, are you talking about? :?

Sorry Larry, -1 for not knowing that one...

Hint:  their arch-rival is Terhune.

Oh, ye of little faith...  :wink:

For the record, I never said we might not have a problem in the rebounding department, especially against the better teams on our non-conference schedule, due to our obvious lack of height.

But that's not the same as whether or not we can defend long enough each defensive possession to force the opponent into a shot they don't want to take.

You will never convince me until I see it that a Scott Sutton team, with this year's level of talent, playing his style of man-to-man, can't be good defensively.

Sure, Shawn and Yemi were great defensive players last year - but it's not like they were on the floor together the whole game, wreaking havoc.  Fact is, Yemi averaged only 26.4 minutes a game last year, Sean just 21.5 (which is even less than Marcus Lewis' 22.4), while Sango averaged only 16 minutes a game mainly because Jarvis, Ehambe and Liberty gobbled up all the minutes at the 1-through-3 spots.

As for last year being our best year ever statistically on defense, please consider this:  is it possible that playing a record total of 21 games against Summit League competition (18 regular season, 3 post-season), where we normally have an edge in talent, contributed to our overall defensive averages for the entire season?

For the umpteenth time:  every year, players leave - it's a fact of college basketball.  The faces may change, but with this coaching staff we always seem to find a way to play good defense - and win.  We survived LSG moving on, we survived Larry Owens moving on, we survived Ken and Caleb moving on, and we will survive last year's seniors moving on, also.

+1 OT

With all of the unknowns concerning the players we have to have a little faith in what we Do know and that is SS and staff.  They are not a bunch of newcomers.  Like OT said earlier, they have done a lot with less talent in the past.  Just don't get so down on them Before we even see what they have.

And oh yes, come on LarryL - Hickory...you've got to know that one.