ESPN Ranks College Basketball Programs Since 1984 - ORU Ranks 124th

ORUJason

Been on the road a few days, but finally back on-line.  Sorry for the delay, OT. 

I worked with Bob Bonebrake during the '80-'81 season as part of my cirriculum to finish up my degree (actually got some college credit thanks to Dr. G).  I did a little stats, a little selling of advertising in the baseball program, a little bit of press release work, among other things.  ORUBlue82 was down there at the time, too.  The work in the SID area dovetailed with my summer job at a Class AAA baseball team back east that I eventually went to work for after graduation.

OK, this is bizarre:  I was on that staff in '80-'81!  I was on the basketball stat crew and worked in the baseball press box with Joel, and wrote press releases and edited media guides for Bonebrake.  Can't remember for sure how much I traveled with baseball that year, but I remember road trips with Mike Moore on the team, so I must have gone to some of them, because he left after that year.

How weird is it that our paths didn't cross back then?  :?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• LarryL

OK, this is bizarre:  I was on that staff in '80-'81!  I was on the basketball stat crew and worked in the baseball press box with Joel, and wrote press releases and edited media guides for Bonebrake.  Can't remember for sure how much I traveled with baseball that year, but I remember road trips with Mike Moore on the team, so I must have gone to some of them, because he left after that year.

How weird is it that our paths didn't cross back then?  :?

I remembered you because you were Bob Brooks' son, but outside of sitting on press row a couple of games, we didn't "run in same circles".  You were much more connected in athletics, of course, and I was in the Student Association scene as the Concert chairman.  Because of our athletic ties in college, I knew much more about you when we started working together on Golden Eagle Club things later on!!  :-D

As the old saying goes (paraphrased), be nice to everyone because you never know who you're going to see again (and I'm not implying that you weren't nice, by the way).

I remembered you because you were Bob Brooks' son, but outside of sitting on press row a couple of games, we didn't "run in same circles".  You were much more connected in athletics, of course, and I was in the Student Association scene as the Concert chairman.  Because of our athletic ties in college, I knew much more about you when we started working together on Golden Eagle Club things later on!!  :-D

As the old saying goes (paraphrased), be nice to everyone because you never know who you're going to see again (and I'm not implying that you weren't nice, by the way).

I think it's more likely that, since I was a freshman and you were a senior, you were busy trying to graduate and I was busy trying to keep 'The Bull and Bear' in business...  8-)

Hey OT, TheEagleman was only 19 at the time and that was BEFORE total Watergate story ever even came out....as i sophmore, i still knew what the NCAA rules were on gifts, money and such....heck, Woosie Roberts was driving a brand new Lincoln around campus and his wife worked as a secretary in the ORU offices...she must have been pulling in $100K.....lol....

Hey OT, TheEagleman was only 19 at the time and that was BEFORE total Watergate story ever even came out....as i sophmore, i still knew what the NCAA rules were on gifts, money and such....heck, Woosie Roberts was driving a brand new Lincoln around campus and his wife worked as a secretary in the ORU offices...she must have been pulling in $100K.....lol....

You don't know what you're talking about, and I'm not taking the bait.  :x

Just teasing, OT....but you know he got that car from somewhere...just so happens, Tink Wilkerson then of Wilkerson Chevrolet, etc was the biggest car dealer in T-town at the time, a good friend of Oral and a big ORU basketball booster....hummmmmmmmmmmm???..... :-D

Can't remember for sure how much I traveled with baseball that year, but I remember road trips with Mike Moore on the team, so I must have gone to some of them, because he left after that year.

Finally, something that I remember that you don't!

You traveled with the team on the California Spring Break trip that season, OT.  It was my junior year, and I covered all the other games except the California trip, including the NCAA tournament.  But, then Bob Bonebrake made it up to me by sending me with the golf team to Stanford for the NCAA tournament, where we finished second in the nation, the highest team finish in ORU history.  Since I graduated early in December, 80-81 was my last ORU baseball season, although I made a few "guest" appearances in the PA booth at JLJ the following two seasons!

Just teasing, OT....but you know he got that car from somewhere...just so happens, Tink Wilkerson then of Wilkerson Chevrolet, etc was the biggest car dealer in T-town at the time, a good friend of Oral and a big ORU basketball booster....hummmmmmmmmmmm???..... :-D

Yeah, college athletes in the 1970's driving around town on questionable loans from shady car dealers - big news flash...  :roll: