ESPN Ranks College Basketball Programs Since 1984 - ORU Ranks 124th

ORUJason

PS... I've said it many of times with people involved with ORU.  Opinions that didn't line up with certain people on campus were not appreciated, and that is what kills progress.  Progress happens when people go against the grain.  Just doing what makes everyone happy will not bring on new ideas or improvements.  So the campus has to understand that people will disagree... and that's OK... and still have a good time with each other.  Not really rocket science in other parts of the world, but sometimes in the Christian world it's like trying to find the cure of cancer.

It's great to sense these kinds of ideas starting to catch hold at the new ORU. It's still kind of hard for out-of-towners to really follow the progress that is being made.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• LarryL

Hearing a story like that makes us extremely fortunate to have a person like OT as a part of the ORU athletic family.  I've heard a lot of stories of experiences while at ORU, but it is great to actually hear a story of someone taking a stance against the "ORU way".  It wears me out how some people involved with ORU care way too much about what other people do with their lives.

To characterize Jack Wallace as the "ORU Way" is an absolute perversion of the term.  Jack Wallace was universally despised, not for his position, but for his attitude and manner of carrying out his duties.    Even Sterns78, who has the amazing ability to get along with everyone and see people in the best light, had issues with Jack.

I can think of many people at ORU who could be considered to be defined as the ORU way such as Harold Paul, Ralph Fagin, George Gillen, Ray Gregg, etc, but to include Jack Wallace in that group is an absolute insult to the dedicated people who have made great sacrifices to make the school what it is today.

I appreciate those who have contributed to this thread, it has been a great history lesson.

dbl... I'm sending you a private message.  It takes what I said out of context if it's perceived as an insult to some of the great people that are on campus.

We all understand the issues ORU has faced in recent history.  I just don't like seeing anyone leave ORU with a bad taste in their mouths, but sometimes just one administrator can ruin everything for someone.  I just think we're fortunate in this example that Jack didn't run off OT, because I think a lot of kids would have just packed their bags.

And "ORU way" is probably a bad choice of words since it's pretty generic, and the definition is different to each one of us.  For me and many of people I attended ORU with would probably have an extremely negative definition for the "ORU way".  It's not an insult to the great people on campus, but just shows how the people that abuse their power or get too involved with a student's personal life can really take away from the college experience at ORU.

To characterize Jack Wallace as the "ORU Way" is an absolute perversion of the term.  Jack Wallace was universally despised, not for his position, but for his attitude and manner of carrying out his duties.    Even Sterns78, who has the amazing ability to get along with everyone and see people in the best light, had issues with Jack.

I can think of many people at ORU who could be considered to be defined as the ORU way such as Harold Paul, Ralph Fagin, George Gillen, Ray Gregg, etc, but to include Jack Wallace in that group is an absolute insult to the dedicated people who have made great sacrifices to make the school what it is today.

I'm afraid that in another life, Wallace would have been a Nazi storm trooper, or an executioner in the French Revolution.

Or, maybe that vice principal in "The Breakfast Club".

Simply put:  dude was twisted.  :-P

I'm afraid that in another life, Wallace would have been a Nazi storm trooper, or an executioner in the French Revolution.

Or, maybe that vice principal in "The Breakfast Club".

Simply put:  dude was twisted.  :-P

Sounds like he missed his mark - he should have been on ORU security and he would have fit right in.

"The wages of sin is $50."  That was the old ORU way.  I think the new way will be (and already is) a lot better.

If I remember correctly, Mike Carter has OSU ties, and was a lawyer who acted as Bill Self's agent when Bill was hired by ORU.  I seem to recall that Richard Roberts was very impressed with both Bill Self and Mike Carter, and ended up having a lot of influence on both of those hires.

In my opinion, it would be incorrect to say that Richard Roberts was behind ORU dropping down to NAIA, because that happened during my freshman year at ORU (89-90), and at that point Oral was still very much in charge.  Both Roberta and Richard had prominent positions at ORU at that point, but Oral made the decisions.  By my senior year (92-93), things had changed and Richard was pretty much in control from then on, including the firing of Ken Trickey and the hiring of several successful coaches and Mike Carter.  I think sometimes it is easy to unfairly blame Richard for things that were out of his hands.

Mike Carter got very involved with ORU athletics, via The Titan/Golden Eagle Club, a couple of years before the time Self was hired and he was named AD.

Thanks. I have heard the name Mike Carter so many times and wondered if it might be the same guy. I appreciate the information.

So, is it fair to say that the City of Faith was draining the University financially to the point that OR made the decision to cut the Basketball program, but Ken Trickey saved it by offering the alternative of the NAIA?

And, it just so happened that an NCAA investigation was on the way, and ths was a convenient way to avoid that as well?  :mrgreen:

Well, this has been a facinating thread...love ready over the history of the past 30 yrs since i have graduated my beloved ORU (yes...theeagleman actually has a degree in Comm Arts!  :-D)....Jack Wallace was truly one in a million...we all have stories and perhaps we should start a thread just on that topic...i agree with OT that he had to be a reincarnated Nazi or maybe one of those French prison guards in Papillion.....the man was a sadist....he was especially brutal during the old monthly meal ticket hair checks and if he didn't like you, you needed a marine haircut just to eat in SAGA for the next month......As a telecom major, i once had to do a video project and i decided to film a parody of a Jack Wallace hair check....i had my best buddy play Jack and this guy placed Wallace to a tee....he flunked 5 guys in a row including an african american student with a shaved head....then a guy with longer hair came in and mentioned he was in the World Action Singers....my buddy got all chummy with him and mentioned that he was also was a singer....he totally adlibbed this line....."Did i ever mention that i was once quite a singer myself?....i was a tenor in the Death House Glee Club".....the entire studio erupted in laughter and he then pulled an actual Playboy magazine out of his briefcase and opened the centerfold as i almost fainted in the control booth....thank the Lord, Jack NEVER saw that tape....we would have gotten more than a $50 fine!!!..... :-D

So, is it fair to say that the City of Faith was draining the University financially to the point that OR made the decision to cut the Basketball program, but Ken Trickey saved it by offering the alternative of the NAIA?

And, it just so happened that an NCAA investigation was on the way, and ths was a convenient way to avoid that as well?  :mrgreen:

Exactly - except that we'll never know for sure whether the NCAA was getting ready to lower the boom right then, or whether they really had anything of substance to investigate.

Well, this has been a facinating thread...love ready over the history of the past 30 yrs since i have graduated my beloved ORU (yes...theeagleman actually has a degree in Comm Arts!  :-D)....Jack Wallace was truly one in a million...we all have stories and perhaps we should start a thread just on that topic...i agree with OT that he had to be a reincarnated Nazi or maybe one of those French prison guards in Papillion.....the man was a sadist....he was especially brutal during the old monthly meal ticket hair checks and if he didn't like you, you needed a marine haircut just to eat in SAGA for the next month......As a telecom major, i once had to do a video project and i decided to film a parody of a Jack Wallace hair check....i had my best buddy play Jack and this guy placed Wallace to a tee....he flunked 5 guys in a row including an african american student with a shaved head....then a guy with longer hair came in and mentioned he was in the World Action Singers....my buddy got all chummy with him and mentioned that he was also was a singer....he totally adlibbed this line....."Did i ever mention that i was once quite a singer myself?....i was a tenor in the Death House Glee Club".....the entire studio erupted in laughter and he then pulled an actual Playboy magazine out of his briefcase and opened the centerfold as i almost fainted in the control booth....thank the Lord, Jack NEVER saw that tape....we would have gotten more than a $50 fine!!!..... :-D

I may be old, but even I know the appropriate text abbreviation in this case is:  ROTFLMAO!  :lol:

Points of clarification...

Wallace was not the AD during the NAIA years (89-91). Ken Trickey was the AD and head coach. Brooks was re-hired in 91, to help make the move back to NCAA D-1.

Been away most of the day traveling in Canada, but Voice is a little younger than I and can recall the chronology a little better than me on this one (especially since he was in the middle of it in '89).

You know, it's amazing how many of us worked in the SID/Media Relations area during our years at ORU.  ORUBlue82, OT, Voice, BB and myself are five people that I'm aware of.  How many more of you worked there??  :lol:  I know that there are others of us on here, but can't recall everyone.

A question that comes up for me as I try to personalize all this information regards Mike Carter. Is this the same Mike Carter that was Dean of Men in 1979 and/or 1980?

You're thinking of Mike Ash (and what an Ash he was!!).  :-D

Been away most of the day traveling in Canada, but Voice is a little younger than I and can recall the chronology a little better than me on this one (especially since he was in the middle of it in '89).

You know, it's amazing how many of us worked in the SID/Media Relations area during our years at ORU.  ORUBlue82, OT, Voice, BB and myself are five people that I'm aware of.  How many more of you worked there??  :lol:  I know that there are others of us on here, but can't recall everyone.

I was also a student assistant in the 'ol Media Relations department... I covered men's soccer in 2001, women's tennis in 2001-02, and women's soccer in 2002-05.  I was also the main person for the website for five years.  I worked for Cory Rogers and Belvin during that time.  I have a lot of respect for both of those guys.  They both have been great hires for ORU.

Mike Carter got very involved with ORU athletics, via The Titan/Golden Eagle Club, a couple of years before the time Self was hired and he was named AD.

Mike was also very involved in the Titan Club in the early/mid-80's up until 1988 when he got really uninvolved.  It wasn't until the signing of Bill Self, whom he represented at the time along with some of the other collegiate players, that he slowly returned to the fold.

After reading through all of the stories in this thread, it still amazes me where we are with the athletic programs at ORU (basketball, baseball, volleyball, track & field, women's and men's programs).  We are definitely fortunate that out of the ashes we still shine.  We shot ourselves in the feet and we're still around to tell about it.