ESPN Ranks College Basketball Programs Since 1984 - ORU Ranks 124th

ORUJason

You're thinking of Mike Ash (and what an Ash he was!!).  :-D

You're right, Bogus, Ash it was! Seems like my memory has let me down on this one. My humble apologies for trying to give Mike Carter a new past.  :-D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

• LarryL

Mike Ash...lol...... :-D

You know, it's amazing how many of us worked in the SID/Media Relations area during our years at ORU.  ORUBlue82, OT, Voice, BB and myself are five people that I'm aware of.  How many more of you worked there??  :lol:  I know that there are others of us on here, but can't recall everyone.

I worked in the office from Fall of 2001 through January of 2007 ... worked my way up from student assistant to Belvin's personal slave!  Those were definitely great times for me.

And memo to "blah, blah, blah" ORU Eli:  "Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."

Fair enough. And yet, only a few of us are actually old enough to have already had the chance to repeat them... :-P

I'm just anxious for the season with little ability to provide any input or perspective on anything pre-Sutton...I get this way every July since the conversations inevitably turn to the past while we wait for fall.

Fair enough. And yet, only a few of us are actually old enough to have already had the chance to repeat them... :-P

I'm just anxious for the season with little ability to provide any input or perspective on anything pre-Sutton...I get this way every July since the conversations inevitably turn to the past while we wait for fall.

Eli, just think about all the good stuff that you will be able to pass on to the next generation! :-D

Eli, just think about all the good stuff that you will be able to pass on to the next generation! :-D

No doubt...but I have a feeling I'll be telling my kids about the time Atkinson thought it would be funny to knock me in the 'jewels' in the Eli suit, watching Ken Moore block shots with ease, getting excited about Cameron Tragardh only to sadly hear he headed back to Oz, the feel good story of Andrew Meloy, watching ORU basketball re-born under Green/Tutt/Sutton, the thrill of the Maniacs, the Tulsa Twin Towers - Gastel and Ludwig, etc etc.

And then I'll tell them if they want their education paid for they better head to 81st and Lewis... :-D

I was also a student assistant in the 'ol Media Relations department... I covered men's soccer in 2001, women's tennis in 2001-02, and women's soccer in 2002-05.  I was also the main person for the website for five years.  I worked for Cory Rogers and Belvin during that time.  I have a lot of respect for both of those guys.  They both have been great hires for ORU.

Cris Belvin = Great Hire.

Cory Rogers???

We wouldn't have Belvin without hiring C-Rog. I can't say anything bad about the guy. He looked out for me the first couple years, and I enjoyed working for him.

I worked in the office from Fall of 2001 through January of 2007 ... worked my way up from student assistant to Belvin's personal slave!  Those were definitely great times for me.

You say that as if being Belvin's personal slave was something unusual for a media relations student assistant...  :wink:

In the four years I was a "sports information department" personal slave student assistant, I had three different bosses:  Bob Bonebrake, Ken Lee, and Don Ott, and a couple of times where SID secretary Wanda Eckstein and I kinda ran the whole thing ourselves between sports informaton directors.

It's a thankless job with ridiculous hours and mind-numbing travel.  Belvin deserves a slave or two.

It's a thankless job with ridiculous hours and mind-numbing travel.  Belvin deserves a slave or two.

I can't even begin to define how much I learned from Blevins over that time ... I came on as a student assistant within weeks of his hiring, and it was fun times from the start ... I owe a lot to him ... he's quite the Sports Info Jedi Master.  :-D

Dang.  I guess I'm an oddity on this board. I just went to ORU, played a few intramurals, went to most of the home games, graduated and left without incident.  But, I must say, the last couple of days have been very insightful and interesting. :-) I had no idea all these things were going on.

LL....if you only knew what was going on behind the scenes from about 1972 thru 1999 or when the ship got righted it would make your hair curl...as a young sportswriter for the Oracle, i did some major investigation as to why some of our star players such as Anthony Roberts were driving really nice brand new cars when they were mere students and had no income....i wrote a great piece that the staff was proud of and it was sent to print....the next morning i got a note in my mail box to report to Dean Hamilton's office where i received a stern lecture about "playing team ball" and why would i want to hurt ORU when we were making great strides in the basketball world....i did what any self respecting journalist would do...i resigned and didn't write for 2 yrs....came back my senior year for a few stories but i was soured by my sophomore experience.... :-P

Wow.  I guess all I can say is I believe we are on the right course now, and ORUs best days are ahead!

LL....if you only knew what was going on behind the scenes from about 1972 thru 1999 or when the ship got righted it would make your hair curl...as a young sportswriter for the Oracle, i did some major investigation as to why some of our star players such as Anthony Roberts were driving really nice brand new cars when they were mere students and had no income....i wrote a great piece that the staff was proud of and it was sent to print....the next morning i got a note in my mail box to report to Dean Hamilton's office where i received a stern lecture about "playing team ball" and why would i want to hurt ORU when we were making great strides in the basketball world....i did what any self respecting journalist would do...i resigned and didn't write for 2 yrs....came back my senior year for a few stories but i was soured by my sophomore experience.... :-P

Be realistic - that sort of thing happens to aspiring journalists on high school and college campuses every day.

It never ceases to amaze me when student newspaper writers assume it should be OK to bite the hand that feeds them by embarrassing the very institution that financially supports their newspaper and it's equipment in the first place.

Do you think Woodward and Bernstein of "Watergate" would have kept their jobs at The Washington Post if they wrote stories calling owner Katherine Graham a crook, instead of Richard Nixon?

If someone wants to write a story exposing a school's athletic program, maybe they should do it under the masthead of that team's rival.

Hey, Bogus, what and when was your function in the media relations arena?

Been on the road a few days, but finally back on-line.  Sorry for the delay, OT. 

I worked with Bob Bonebrake during the '80-'81 season as part of my curriculum to finish up my degree (actually got some college credit thanks to Dr. G).  I did a little stats, a little selling of advertising in the baseball program, a little bit of press release work, among other things.  ORUBlue82 was down there at the time, too.  The work in the SID area dovetailed with my summer job at a Class AAA baseball team back east that I eventually went to work for after graduation.