Why are we still in the Summit League???...

theeagleman5

IUPUI sub 50 RPI next year?...please.....cut me a break...if that happens....i owe you a dinner......and NDSU is one year out of D-2...i think we are over rating these clubs....Oakland could have the best RPI of the Summit next season....we will have to see how ORU jells with so many new players...hopefully, we improve as the season goes on.... 8-)

You're not giving NDSU near enough credit - they are senior-laden, they have two first-team all-conference players in Winkelman and Woodside, and they are very well-coached.  They will be the consensus No. 2 pick in the Summit League preseason polls, and if George Hill follows through with his NBA draft plans, the Bison may be the odds-on favorites for the league title, and those two stars could end up Co-Player of the Year.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ron

• theeagleman5

• tmh8286

Tmh, fearless posting leader on this board . . . do you mean to say that it is possible that after waiting all this time after transferring that either Scott or Kevin would rather put this start off for a few days, weeks, months?!!!

My mind is in a whirl. :-D:-):-(:-o:?8-):lol::x:-P:oops::cry::evil::roll::wink::|:mrgreen:

What am I to think?

Seriously though, if Kevin doesn't play on the 4th of December, I can only imagine that the only reason is that in practice and in games, the returning seniors and/or new, young freshmen have proven that they are irreplaceable. That is a future that I wish upon us. In this case, perhaps even Kevin would be okay coming off the bench because maybe it would mean that we have a team that cannot be beaten.

More realistically, though, Ford plays and the younger guys see back-up minutes. Either way, the NDSU-ORU match-up in the frozen North should be an absolutely phenomenal game. I can feel the tension already.

My only question is whether that's the day he becomes eligible, and not the next day or something.  If Spiff is right, and he becomes eligible on 12/4, then I'd expect to see him playing that night.

You're not giving NDSU near enough credit - they are senior-laden, they have two first-team all-conference players in Winkelman and Woodside, and they are very well-coached.  They will be the consensus No. 2 pick in the Summit League preseason polls, and if George Hill follows through with his NBA draft plans, the Bison may be the odds-on favorites for the league title, and those two stars could end up Co-Player of the Year.

And Joe Moore will join them as a first team all-conference selection.  :roll:

IUPUI sub 50 RPI next year?...please.....cut me a break...if that happens....i owe you a dinner......and NDSU is one year out of D-2...i think we are over rating these clubs....Oakland could have the best RPI of the Summit next season....we will have to see how ORU jells with so many new players...hopefully, we improve as the season goes on.... 8-)

As you know, Eagleman, that certainly depends very much on the strength of their schedule next year, but they certainly has a team that continues to improve, is senior laden with a bona-fide star and in a conference that may help them with some strength-of-schedule numbers (we could have as many as four strong teams next year). While much remains to be seen, conjecture is part of the fun of this point in the season, but when push comes to shove next year, where can I pick up my dinner?

My only question is whether that's the day he becomes eligible, and not the next day or something.  If Spiff is right, and he becomes eligible on 12/4, then I'd expect to see him playing that night.

I'm glad you clarified that, tmh. I thought that I must have missed something there.

And Joe Moore will join them as a first team all-conference selection.  :roll:

Wow . . . absolutely phenomenal! Has Joe improved that much in the last few months?!!!

LOL.....so Ron, you actually think that Oakland, IUPUI, NDSU and ORU could all be Top 100 RPI teams at the end of next season....NO CHANCE!....Look, I agree that ORU could be ranked pre-season as low as 4th in the Conference...those other 3 might very well be better but time will tell...George Hill might even go to the NBA....NDSU just isn't THAT good....i just don't see it....not in the Top 100....I like Oakland...they play a good schedule and they are scrappy....they would be my pre-season favorite here in May....but we won't make those predictions until early November..... 8-)....don't get too hungry for dinner yet.... :-D

The fact is that it will be NEARLY impossible for the Summit to have four teams with a less than 100 RPI, primarily because the League will also have four teams with a 250+ RPI.  As such, the top teams will decline (even with a win) when they play their "weak sisters"  The Summit IS improving at the top, but the kind of lofty levels Ron is hoping for will not occur until the entire league steps up - top to bottom.

LOL.....so Ron, you actually think that Oakland, IUPUI, NDSU and ORU could all be Top 100 RPI teams at the end of next season....NO CHANCE!....Look, I agree that ORU could be ranked pre-season as low as 4th in the Conference...those other 3 might very well be better but time will tell...George Hill might even go to the NBA....NDSU just isn't THAT good....i just don't see it....not in the Top 100....I like Oakland...they play a good schedule and they are scrappy....they would be my pre-season favorite here in May....but we won't make those predictions until early November..... 8-)....don't get too hungry for dinner yet.... :-D

Eagleman, the rpis of all these teams depend on all games played: conference and non-conference. As I said before, a lot depends on the non-conference schedule of some of these teams. As OT has said, Oakland has normally played a fairly tough non-conference schedule. We know that IUPUI gets an Indiana (State?) game this year and hopefully a few other good ones. NDSU played Florida State last year. They managed to get Minnesota and Wisconsin as well (I'm doing this from memory) as I recall. I think they can win the odd game this year and play the others close. They still have fans in those areas because that is where they recruit. Even an away game is not entirely on foreign soil. If they can win a couple and play their away losses close, it should help their rpi. If  Oakland can do something similar while the four teams that we mentioned each win the home portion of the schedule against each other, I think a higher rpi is possible. The other teams in the Summit league hopefully get better than last year, with the one notable exception, beat some easier scheduled opponents before winning and losing against each other and losing to the top four.

The other teams are easier to pick. ORU is the dark horse. So much depends on how all the pieces fit and how the coach can mold these guys into a team. I'm an incurable homer though, because I think we have some great redshirts, some great players that have been playing together for a long time in practice, and a phenomenal recruiting string (not just this year). I think Coach Sutton (and co) is a great judge of playing ability and character and has assembled what is necessary to be competitive this year again. Does last year have to be a fluke, an alignment of the planets, a one in a million chance; I don't think so. There are not only freshmen coming in and Jarvis is not particularly interested in how good ORU will be in two or three years. We have good players and a good coach now.

In order for what I propose to transpire, a lot of close ones have to go in favour of the Summit League top four, but I think it is realistically possible. I'm starting to survey some good menus . . . :-D

The fact is that it will be NEARLY impossible for the Summit to have four teams with a less than 100 RPI, primarily because the League will also have four teams with a 250+ RPI.  As such, the top teams will decline (even with a win) when they play their "weak sisters"  The Summit IS improving at the top, but the kind of lofty levels Ron is hoping for will not occur until the entire league steps up - top to bottom.

Blue, this year we had a 52 rpi with two losses in our league, one of them by a huge margin: a bad loss. In our league we played against only one team with a respectable rpi, and still we were able to have such a high rpi. That rpi should be repeatable by at least one very good team. I don't know Oakland that well but I like both IUPUI (with Gearge Hill) and NDSU.

IUPUI is very realistic. They are totally motivated and have a huge chip on their shoulders from being overlooked for post-season play in spite of their phenomenal record. They are gunning for the league championship and a tournament win because they know that nothing else will give them the opportunity to play roundball in March.

NDSU is no fluke; I'm glad that they weren't in the tournament last year. So what if they just got out of Division 2. That speaks volumes for the coach and his recruiting program!

But Blue, you're right about the bottom of the league. So far my hope for any improvement at the bottom of the league is exactly that: a hope. You have pointed me in a new direction for a little research. Let's check it out.

It should probably be said that Centenary and IPFW are going to be bad next year. IPFW lost a lot of talent and it seems like Centenary can't get anything positive going. I also think UMKC and SUU will be about the same or a little worse. SDSU should improve slightly, it seems like their coach has finally got the ship righted in Brookings and they were a very young team last year. Not sure about WIU.

The league appears to be very top heavy and that isn't good for RPI. The big four would have to dominate non-conference play in order to weather the hits that will come during conference play.

Also NDSU is four years out of DII, not a year.

Thanks, FB. I stand corrected. Thanks too for your evaluation of the other teams in the league. Western Illinois has a new coach, right. I believe we had a lot of positive things to say on the board when we found out about the appointment. This year will probably be too early for him to make a huge mark. I guess there is still quite a question mark there.

I am hoping for some good non-conference records but I believe the Four have the chance to pull it off (still a bit early to call them Fantastic).

Thanks, FB. I stand corrected. Thanks too for your evaluation of the other teams in the league. Western Illinois has a new coach, right. I believe we had a lot of positive things to say on the board when we found out about the appointment. This year will probably be too early for him to make a huge mark. I guess there is still quite a question mark there.

I am hoping for some good non-conference records but I believe the Four have the chance to pull it off (still a bit early to call them Fantastic).

WIU has a new coach but I don't know if the problem with the program at WIU is a coaching issue or a support issue. One thing I have noticed with a few Summit League schools is they just don't have the support in place in order to have success. Centenary would be one example but IPFW is another. The school has an athletic budget of 4.7 million and only received 100k in alumni donations to its athletic department last year. To put that in perspective NDSU recieved 1.75 million from its booster group alone. Hopefully part of the Summit Plan not only includes schools stepping up in scheduling but also in building the support needed in order to be competitive with a tougher schedule.

As for non-conference, so far our coach has scheduled Minnesota, USC, and a tourney at Drake. I think we'll have a tough schedule but it seems like getting a good team to come to Fargo will be a struggle so we'll have to be roadwarriors.

WIU has a new coach but I don't know if the problem with the program at WIU is a coaching issue or a support issue. One thing I have noticed with a few Summit League schools is they just don't have the support in place in order to have success. Centenary would be one example but IPFW is another. The school has an athletic budget of 4.7 million and only received 100k in alumni donations to its athletic department last year. To put that in perspective NDSU recieved 1.75 million from its booster group alone. Hopefully part of the Summit Plan not only includes schools stepping up in scheduling but also in building the support needed in order to be competitive with a tougher schedule.

As for non-conference, so far our coach has scheduled Minnesota, USC, and a tourney at Drake. I think we'll have a tough schedule but it seems like getting a good team to come to Fargo will be a struggle so we'll have to be roadwarriors.

On top of the usual reasons, with your record at home last year, no wonder no one would want to come. Your non-conference is indeed interesting. If you can pull off a couple of wins there, it could be an exciting year.

I think they can win the odd game this year and play the others close. 

If they can win a couple and play their away losses close, it should help their rpi.

Margin of victory/loss has nothing to do with the rpi formula ... a win is a win and a loss is a loss.  Of course road wins are worth more than home wins and home losses hurt more than road losses ... but that still has nothing to do with final margins.

Can we add an adult content warning to this thread.  This is way too deep for May.

Thread without a point.

Although, if someone is suffering from insomnia, just have them try to read thru this baby!

I need a nap.