Sean Sutton Out at OSU?

Old Titan

Sean Sutton met briefly with OSU AD Mike Holder on Monday, with no announcement afterward.

Not sure what to make of that, but I keep wondering:  if they were planning on keeping him, shouldn't either side have said something by now, especially after Monday's meeting?

Could Monday's meeting merely been to inform him he's out, and to get the ball rolling on a financial settlement, or give him a chance to resign?

Wonder how long they intend to drag this thing out - can't be helping their recruiting any.

One thing's for sure:  if they remove Sean, I doubt we will be playing OSU as long as Scott is at ORU.

Wouldn't surprise me if Eddie asked them to sandblast his name off the Gallagher-Iba Arena floor...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ron

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't surprise me if Eddie asked them to sandblast his name off the Gallagher-Iba Arena floor...

You know, Eddie, and the Sutton family in general, had developed a warm and family-type relationship with the OSU faithful, a result of years of success in that program.  But it has certainly soured over the past couple of years.  It's been an amazing thing to watch, actually.

If Sean is gone, might we be seeing more a a shift of Eddie's attention to ORU?  He's already at many of the games.  Maybe we'll be seeing him at all of them.

I am hearing those rumors too, but it is hard to believe that Self would leave Lawrence to go back to Stillwater. I know he bleeds orange and that both he and his wife are from Oklahoma - but there is a big difference between the two programs. I also think that he hold the Suttons in too high of regard to come in behind Sean.

But who knows, maybe Boone Pickens is throwing an unbelievable amount of money at Self and making him an "offer he can't refuse".

I can't believe that they honestly think Bill Self would leave Kansas for OSU. I think I heard Eddie say the same thing in a radio interview. Maybe if Self lost against Davidson they would have a shot, but there is no way Kansas lets him leave now. Can you imagine what that place would be like if he manages to beat Roy's Heels? There is no way they let him leave, no matter how much money Boone T throws at him. Holder and those guys are in for a rude awakening if the rumors are true.

Channel 9 in OKC (Dean Blevins) is reporting that Sean Sutton has been fired.....

Link

Channel 9 in OKC (Dean Blevins) is reporting that Sean Sutton has been fired.....

Link

That's just ridiculous!  Sean will be better off somewhere else.  I was an OSU fan.

I thought this was just an April Fool's joke at first...wow..

whatever way it turns out next year you can be sure of one thing...bill self and his hairpiece will be making more money next year

They only give Sean two years.... what do you think any in-coming coach is thinking if they treat a 'favorite-son' like this? OSU will have to pay top dollar and sign a long-term deal to get a quality coach.

They are a bit delusional....

Sources: Sean Sutton will be out as OSU coach

By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer

4/1/2008  10:58 AM

Last Modified: 4/1/2008  10:59 AM

STILLWATER -- Oklahoma State basketball coach Sean Sutton and athletic director Mike Holder are scheduled to meet Tuesday for a second consecutive day and sources close to the situation are under the impression that the meeting will likely spell an end to the coach's two-year regime.

Sutton, who has three years remaining on his contract, is 39-29 since taking over for his father, Eddie Sutton. The Cowboys have lost first-round NIT games each of the last three seasons.

At least one media outlet is reporting that Sutton was fired Monday, during a year-end evaluation meeting with Holder. But a source within the basketball program said that is not true.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080401_93_36326

They only give Sean two years.... what do you think any in-coming coach is thinking if they treat a 'favorite-son' like this? OSU will have to pay top dollar and sign a long-term deal to get a quality coach.

They are a bit delusional....

Especially thinking they can and will get Self or Gillespie.  I think they have a shot at Self, but that's not guarantee.  I think OSU fan will end up being extremely disappointed after they hire a new coach.  They might get a new coach, but the name won't be that sexy.

Personally I think they better have some type of verbal agreement with Self before firing Sean, or they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Press conference at 3 p.m. today.  Sean has not been fired (yet).  We should probably all wait and see what happens at this press conference.  I guess I haven't jumped off the ship yet.

what in the world can they give self ? It would be a step down in jobs and that is not coach self's style.

Spoken like someone who knows him well, eh, Slim :-)?

I believe that this is way to soon to fire Sean Sutton. This is another example of programs making quick decisions that might cost them later. This is a mistake.

Only giving him two years - especially after the things that happened (players leaving and player suspensions) to hurt the team - is puzzling. Especially given how much he and his father did to revive the OSU program. There is obviously other things at work behind this decision. Have to believe there are personal agendas affecting personnel issues.