Sean Sutton Out at OSU?

Old Titan

From Dave Sittler's blog today on The Tulsa World's "Sports Extra" website:

...another rumor that's floating around on (San Antonio's) famous River Walk is that (Sean) Sutton's settlement with OSU included payments of $20,000 a month for the next 10 years. If that's close to being accurate, I'd say Sutton won't have to worry about his next coaching job or meal for a long time.

I just did the math - that's $2.4 million.

Would Sittler be irresponsible enough to print that, if he didn't think it was coming from a credible source?

What if it's true?

That would have to be the best settlement offer I've ever heard of:  a quarter of a million dollars a year, for ten years, to do nothing...  :-o

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ron

Top Posters In This Topic

...another rumor that's floating around on (San Antonio's) famous River Walk is that (Sean) Sutton's settlement with OSU included payments of $20,000 a month for the next 10 years. If that's close to being accurate, I'd say Sutton won't have to worry about his next coaching job or meal for a long time.

Would Sittler be irresponsible enough to print that, if he didn't think it was coming from a credible source?

What if it's true?

That would have to be the best settlement offer I've ever heard of:  a quarter of a million dollars a year, for ten years, to do nothing...  :-o

It's a great deal for TBP, if it's true!!  If Sean was getting $750K on his contract anyway and had three years left, that would be $2.25M over three years.  If Boone has ten years to pay that out, he's probably making money on the amounts that he isn't having to pay up front and "winning" on the time value of money (or the time value of the price of oil).  $2.4M is only 7% higher than the $2.2M owed Sean - and that's over a seven-year period after his contract is up.

Although $240K per year for ten years sounds like a lot, when your standard of living is at $750K, it pales in comparison.  As a good friend once said, "we're all broke, just at different levels".

OSU has sold their soul to Pickens.  . . .  Like it or not, Pickens has BOUGHT himself a college team.

No doubt about that.  I think this quote from T Boone, from the article OKCEagle linked above, says it all:

I was going to make a major gift, and I told them, ‘I'm not making a gift unless I have somebody I'm comfortable with as the AD.'”

I'm sure that applies equally to coaches.

The other thing that came across in that article is how poorly suited and unqualified Holder appears to be for an AD job.  Wow.

If Boone has ten years to pay that out, he's probably making money on the amounts that he isn't having to pay up front and "winning" on the time value of money (or the time value of the price of oil). 

Wow!

What BIG OIL can do for you!

I never believed the talk of a "three-years-at-750-thousand-dollars" settlement - figured the actual number  was something much less; it typically is.

Kelvin Sampson and Barry Hinson settled for low-to-mid six figures on their dismissals; Sean definitely got a sweet deal if his is over $2 million.

One of the things that was talked about this AM on the Animal was what the farther reaching effects of the end of the Sutton era at OSU might be.  One would be the effect of the break between the Suttons and OSU on those that have played under them and are loyal to them - guys like Randy Rutherford and Bryant Reeves.  These guys are "favored sons" to the Cowboy faithful, but that relationship may be damaged, or broken with the fracturing of things with the Suttons.  This fact was brought to the attention of Jimmy Trammel by one of those affected - I think by Rutherford himself.  The way this has been handled, I think it's a legitimate concern.

Another interesting topic discussed by Big Al and Coach Pat was the difficulty of recruiting to Stillwater.  That's something I've always wondered about - how do they get these kids, some of whom are big city kids, to be willing to plant themselves for four years in Stillwater, a small town kind of in the middle of nowhere?  Pat Jones echoed this same question, and said he thought Sutton's recruiting success was due to their ability to pick up transfer students, one way or another, that were leaving other programs.  I always thought that part of the way they were able to get kids into Stillwater was that they came to learn from the master.  Whichever it is, the next coach better be prepared for the challenge.

I never believed the talk of a "three-years-at-750-thousand-dollars" settlement - figured the actual number  was something much less; it typically is.

Kelvin Sampson and Barry Hinson settled for low-to-mid six figures on their dismissals; Sean definitely got a sweet deal if his is over $2 million.

I agree that Kelvin and Barry probably got much smaller settlements - Kelvin due to willful rules violations and Barry due to performance expectations (not making a NCAA Tournament in nine tries). 

Although we don't know all the underlying circumstances in Sean's case (there's usually three sides to every story - OSU's side, Sean's side and the truth), Sean, of the three, probably had the best case for a wrongful termination and breach of contract and would have fared well had he wanted to litigate the issue.  Not only did he have a breach of contract issue, but also damage to his reputation and future earning capacity.

What if it's true?

It's true - and it's better than rumored:

Sutton to get $2.7M over 10 years as part of OSU settlement

April 7, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma State will pay Sean Sutton $2.7 million over 10 years as part of a settlement reached between the university and the former coach, who resigned under pressure last week.

The details of the agreement were released Monday by the university. Oklahoma State will pay Sutton $300,000 immediately and the remaining $2.4 million during the next 10 years at $20,000 per month, starting July 1. Sutton will receive the money even if he accepts another coaching position.

link

The article also confirms another rumor:  Sean and "his immediate family" are under a gag order, as is the university...  :|

The article also confirms another rumor:  Sean and "his immediate family" are under a gag order, as is the university...  :|

That is a pretty standard term in a settlement agreement, often called a "nondisparagement clause."

I know this is out of left field and (thankfully for the ORU family) would probably never happen but I dunno...if Self did leave for OSU...due to success and name recognition, does anyone think Scott would be in the mix for the KU job? Big, big jump to go from Summitt League champs to coaching national champs but who knows...anybody else think its even slightly possible?

I'm far from an expert in such matters, but it seems to me like a program of KU's stature would probably seek out a young up-and-comer from the power conference ranks.  That's what they did with Bill Self - he'd been at Illinois for two or three years, had seen success at every stop along the way - he was a hot commodity.

Interesting his statement today - he has no desire to take the OSU job, but he needs to meet with the administrators at KU to "work some things out."  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I know this is out of left field and (thankfully for the ORU family) would probably never happen but I dunno...if Self did leave for OSU...due to success and name recognition, does anyone think Scott would be in the mix for the KU job? Big, big jump to go from Summitt League champs to coaching national champs but who knows...anybody else think its even slightly possible?

Nope, but whoever does get the OSU job will probably start a two-or-three school domino effect that might eventually involve a school that would be interested in Scott.

For example:  Billy Gillespie to OSU, John Pelphrey to Kentucky, Scott Sutton to Arkansas.

Or:  Lon Kruger to OSU, Scott Sutton to UNLV.

That sort of thing...

LSU reportedly will hire Stanford's Trent Johnson, who went there from Nevada three or four seasons ago.

Gonzaga's Mark Few to Stanford?

Or, will the Cardinal take someone like Sean Miller at Xavier, which means Xavier would be looking, probably for a young up-and-comer from a mid- to low-major.

Sound like anyone we know?  :|

The fact that no one has mentioned Davidson's coach yet in our discussion gives me hope that Scott Sutton will be overlooked for the time being.

But actually, I still have more faith in the contention that he has decided to stay here for the time being.

The fact that no one has mentioned Davidson's coach yet in our discussion gives me hope that Scott Sutton will be overlooked for the time being.

But actually, I still have more faith in the contention that he has decided to stay here for the time being.

Please - have you seen McKillop's record at Davidson before he got Stephen Curry?

He's the East Coast version of Homer Drew...  :roll:

Please - have you seen McKillop's record at Davidson before he got Stephen Curry?

He's the East Coast version of Homer Drew...  :roll:

There still seems to be a considerable difference between ORU and Davidson in terms of recruiting pull based on size and quality of league in which they play.

Can one guy be the entire difference between a so-so program and being the team that gave Kansas its best game next to Memphis?

I don't think so!

McKillop grew his program slowly as he had to based on where he was. Any coach has to take his actual situation into account. He did it well!

In fact, based on the strength of Kansas' program, you could make a serious case for saying that Self was out-coached by McKillop in that Davidson-Kansas game.