Sean Sutton Out at OSU?

Old Titan

The OSU rivals home page has a blurb reporting that Bill Self has a press conference for 3:00pm. I don't have a Rivals membership anymore so I'm not sure what it says. I went over to the Kansas site and their was no talk of it on their free board. I think it may have been about the Final Four, but OSU might have been hoping it was more.

Link to OSU Rivals Page:http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/default.asp

Link Kansas Rivals Page: http://kansas.rivals.com/

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ron

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a quote from Self's press conference that was held this afternoon (the emphasis is mine):

Self on OSU: "I'm not a candidate"

J-W Staff Reports

Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2008

At his Tuesday press conference leading up to Saturday's national semifinals - during which Bill Self heard a more firm confirmation of Oklahoma State's Sean Sutton being out as the Cowboys' head coach - the Kansas University coach again diffused rumors that he'd be a candidate for the opening.

"If it has been done, I feel bad for Sean, because I feel his team got better over the course of the year. I do care deeply about my alma mater. Spent 11 years of my life at OSU," Self said. "But nobody from there has contacted me, and if they did, I would strongly reccommend they move in another direction."

After the press conference, while exiting Hadl Auditorium, he was even more firm, saying "I'm not a candidate."

Added KU athletics director Lew Perkins Tuesday afternoon: "Nobody has called me from Oklahoma State, which I would assume they would have done that. We're going to do everything we possibly can to have Bill be our basketball coach here for a long, long time. I see no reason why that won't happen."

KUSports.com

this is a long-shot...but what about Sean joining Scott's staff at ORU?  Sean sure looked beaten down...kind of like he needed a break from being a head coach.  What a better place to relax than to help your brother build a program at ORU?

tulsa world says its a done deal, he's out news conferenxe at 445

this is a long-shot...but what about Sean joining Scott's staff at ORU?  Sean sure looked beaten down...kind of like he needed a break from being a head coach.  What a better place to relax than to help your brother build a program at ORU?

That could be pretty awesome....especially if some players came with him.

so much for giving a guy a chance dukes coach didnt do so well his first 2 years either

There is no way Sean joins Scott's staff here as an assistant. It would be fun, but coming from OSU, I just don't see him going to work for lil bro. Whenever he coaches again, he will be a head coach.

Many of us who have been around a long time think firing Ken Hayes at Christmas time was one of the worst days in the history of ORU athletics ... an event from which we have still not recovered. 

I see a parallel in these two events.  I believe OSU has made a terrible mistake, and I think it will damage their program.  In many ways, I hope so.  I feel sorry for Sean and think he deserved better.

I sure hope that he gets a great settlement.  How does that work?  I'd hate to be the PR or marketing director for OSU athletics.  They are going to have a tough job.  Many called in the Sports Animal this morning to say that they will not attend another sporting event there.

May I also say this - above all else - as a community, lets keep the Sutton family in our prayers. If Scott is family...so is Sean.

I'm with you on that one, senior.

Many of us who have been around a long time think firing Ken Hayes at Christmas time was one of the worst days in the history of ORU athletics ... an event from which we have still not recovered. 

I see a parallel in these two events.  I believe OSU has made a terrible mistake, and I think it will damage their program.  In many ways, I hope so.  I feel sorry for Sean and think he deserved better.

Here, here, count - great post.

Re Mrs. Smith's question:  He has three years remaining on his contract.  I hear his salary was around $775k/yr.  That is $2.3 million.  Do they discount to present value or is it a negotiated figure? 

Helps to ease the pain, but still a raw deal ... especially with the non-ending patience they have shown with their football program over there. 

I agree 100% with ttowncount... it will stay with them a long time.

Re Mrs. Smith's question:  He has three years remaining on his contract.  I hear his salary was around $775k/yr.  That is $2.3 million.  Do they discount to present value or is it a negotiated figure? 

Helps to ease the pain, but still a raw deal ... especially with the non-ending patience they have shown with their football program over there. 

I agree 100% with ttowncount... it will stay with them a long time.

I heard on the radio (maybe Traber from the animal?) that he would be paid the rest of the 3 years on his contract.

Bill Self coaches at Kansas.  Kansas is a premiere basketball school.  There is no way Self takes a step down to go to OSU.  Self will be at Kansas a long time and maybe move to a bigger school later on.  He won't take a step backwards. 

Agreed, no chance Self is leaving.  He's got it going on up there, the only move he makes is to the NBA.  OSU has made a major mistake.  That was a young team that was coming together and would have been a very good team next year.  I think Sean is a good coach, I think he'll do well at his next job.

OSU is a pathetic institution....no honor or courage at all...shame on them...no wonder coaches walk out of contracts for bigger money...this is an example of college basketball just becoming big business...i am glad we kicked OSU's A$$ this season...wish ORU could do it again every year but we won't play them anymore unless it is in a tournament of some kind.....this is disgusting! :x