Sean Sutton Out at OSU?

Old Titan

Why would Holder care about basketball?  After all, isn't OSU a football school? :-D  Okay, maybe a wrestling school? 

It's a golf school.  With a heck of an Interior Design program, I might add.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• ron

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern is that this whole thing will cause OSU to implode... and force the Pokes to fire Holder and make Mike Carter an offer he can't refuse.

Holder is not going anywhere as long as T. Boone Pickens is around. They are very good friends and OSU has hitched its wagon to Pickens and his oil money.

Guys, do we really believe that Holder has no plan?  :? Or perhaps that his plan is to fire Sean Sutton for not performing well and to continue to pay him big money only to purposely put himself into a situation where the performance has to be worse because there is no one to replace him? Is Holder looking forward to a long vacation on his own severance package that much? Do people do that? :-o

I don't know . . . . I think he has to have some kind of plan that he is not at liberty to disclose right now because someone is still under contract and does not want to screw up the recruiting plan at the school he is leaving.

Guys, do we really believe that Holder has no plan?  :? Or perhaps that his plan is to fire Sean Sutton for not performing well and to continue to pay him big money only to purposely put himself into a situation where the performance has to be worse because there is no one to replace him? Is Holder looking forward to a long vacation on his own severance package that much? Do people do that? :-o

I don't know . . . . I think he has to have some kind of plan that he is not at liberty to disclose right now because someone is still under contract and does not want to screw up the recruiting plan at the school he is leaving.

Any plan that involves a coach not being hired until June 1st is a bad plan. 

Whoever you might eventually hire is currently working to sign guys for some school other than OSU.

And by the time that guy actually arrives on campus (mid-June?  July 1st?), spring recruiting has already been ruined, the summer camps are toast, you're months behind in recruiting for the fall signing date, you're hamstrung for scheduling games for the upcoming non-conference schedule, and your returning letter winners have been on their own for months in terms of conditioning, academics, off-court activities, etc.

Each day between now and June 1st without a basketball coach is a shovel full of dirt on next season's grave, and may have ramifications for years to come.

OSU is pathetic...i used to like them....no more....what a bonehead, er boonehead move... :-D

Terrible timing from OSU. I have a feeling Sean resigned after being told they were going after Self and if he bit, they wanted him to be assistant or something crazy. This was personal, the timing from a business perspective makes no sense if they are not actively pursuing anyone but Self.

I can assure you with 100% confidence that Self is the leading candidate and despite the quick dismissal, it is a job he has always wanted. The timing could not be worse for him which may make it harder to leave KU.

ash  =o)

He'll be the OSU coach ash - mark my words

MARKED

I think Bill Self still bleeds orange and probably would have some level of interest in the OSU job. The timing for this could not be worse though. You have to wonder why OSU just did not wait a week.

It will be interesting to see if the pull of his alma mater and Boone Pickens' money will entice Self. I think it will - but he will end up staying at KU because of the timing and that he does not want to alienate the Sutton family. I would not be surprised to see him try to land the coaching job with the relocated OKC (Sonics) NBA franchise.

Would Billy Gilispie have an interest in the Cowboy job?

Would Billy Gilispie have an interest in the Cowboy job?

A much better question, would OSU have any interest in Billy Clyde?

I am hearing that that they might.... which I find a bit curious. Could be interesting.

A much better question, would OSU have any interest in Billy Clyde?

Here's the rumor:  Self has already been offered $4 million a year for 10 years by OSU, guaranteed.  He has not given them an answer, leading OSU to think that he may be interested, but more likely it's Bill's attempt at getting a raise from KU, and can you blame him?  If he wins the NCAA championship, and the OSU thing is still floating out there, KU may feel compelled to give him a blank check.

Gillespie is supposedly "Plan B" - some say he is unhappy at Kentucky and has led OSU to believe he would come to Stillwater if asked, but he's already infamous for leading Arkansas on a wild goose chase last year, so who knows what he's up to?

And then there's the rumor Bruce Pearl at Tennessee called OSU to inquire about the opening, simply so he could return to Knoxville, call a press conference to say that he's not interested in any other job, just to try to get more money out of the Volunteers!

One thing is for sure - OSU is swimming with the sharks right now.  Or, if you think more highly of these coaches than that, then OSU is swimming with the sharks that work for these guys:  their agents.

One thing is for sure - OSU is swimming with the sharks right now.  Or, if you think more highly of these coaches than that, then OSU is swimming with the sharks that work for Self and Gillespie:  their agents.

i think i read somewhere that they have the same agent.

I have an ORU friend who lives in Liberal Kansas (I didn't know there were any liberals in Kansas as news reporter Peter Jennings once said) who has two sons who attend KU.

Yesterday he told me that the Bill Self/OSU item has been a distraction to everyone at KU. They didn't appreiciate it coming out right now.

I guess we'll see how KU b-ball deals with it and Self, too.

EXCELLENT discussion of the OSU situation on the Sports Animal this AM by Al Jerkins and Pat Jones (Sorry, Hax, I was at a funeral during your show :-().  Most of the time my interest in their show kind of wanders, because regardless of where the discussion starts, it always ends up on football, which is understandable give Coach Jones background, but it loses me.

But this morning they had quite a number of excellent topics, all centered around the situation in Stillwater.  They discussed a number of possible replacements, and with each one they would say, "If Bill Self doesn't take the job, would Holder have the nerve to present that person to Boone Pickens, and would Pickens be intertested in him?"  As I listened to that, I gradually got to thinking - OSU has sold their soul to Pickens.  To have ONE person who is in such control of their program that even the trustees quake in his presence, that's a problem, IMHO.  It kind of reminds me of what Jerry Jones has done with the Dallas Cowboys, only Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys, while the OSU Cowboys is supposed to be a public institution.  Like it or not, Pickens has BOUGHT himself a college team.