Kudos to the Maniacs Sixth Man on Defense

bsullyok

We were asked by the athletic department to move to the seats behind our bench many years ago (somewhere in the Self years I think) because very few people were yelling for the team  (and not many people attending at all back then).  I guess they thought we were loud-mouths.    Although the view is often blocked by coaches standing up, it is a great place to watch the games.  Our group has grown to about 20 or so.  We pretty much scream our guts out every game, both for the players and at the refs (as per Cory's request by the way).    I would miss hearing the coaches comments and the competitive ref-taunting that has developed within our area.  Nothing like knowing that the ref actually heard you when you say his mother is embarassed by his calls or telling Mr. Clean to wipe off his head when the sweat is pouring into his eyes!  However, if the kids would actually fill the seats every game, it would be a good trade.  MM, I guess my concern would be trying to keep the group together in decent seats.  Pity the folks in the area into which we are moved!! 

I haven't seen many games where the students would fill the areas described, but would love to see them out for every game.  They add a terrific amount of value to our sports product, and especially the Maniacs.  It would be a shame to see them gone from our game atmosphere.  I have a hard time accepting the concept of "they've peaked", but rather maybe that interest in the current form or format might have peaked.  I wonder if the GEC could be helpful in any way to make the group more attractive.    We have our own recruiting challenges in the GEC, but certainly the quality of the product we are promoting would be diminished if the Maniacs were to ride off into the sunset. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Old Titan

• meatloaf

• bballmangc

A positive for the maniacs..... The ORU Student Ambassadors program which I am involved in on campus is inviting all high school kids interested in coming to ORU to a basketball game.... and partying it up with the maniacs before that game is in the plans.... so hopefully we can use that game to draw future maniacs as well!! :-D

Here's something that I see that may be a little bit of a problem.

Most of the basketball tees in the bookstore are not very affordable AND for some weird reason the book store has a problem printing the official ORU athletic font on the athletic tees.

If you look at products other schools sell you'll often find - school sayings, nicknames and simple SCHOOL/SPORT graphics.

I think someone on campus should market something like this (Maniacs, Campus Store, SA)

GAME DAY TEES

If you make them cheap ($5/piece) there's a good chance people would wear there shirts on game day and thus game night

All3.jpg

Here's something that I see that may be a little bit of a problem.

Most of the basketball tees in the bookstore are not very affordable AND for some weird reason the book store has a problem printing the official ORU athletic font on the athletic tees.

If you look at products other schools sell you'll often find - school sayings, nicknames and simple SCHOOL/SPORT graphics.

I think someone on campus should market something like this (Maniacs, Campus Store, SA)

GAME DAY TEES

If you make them cheap ($5/piece) there's a good chance people would wear there shirts on game day and thus game night

All3.jpg

This is another great idea. With a price point like that I think we could get a lot of fans involved. Watch those Gonzaga videos again and see how many people are wearing those red Kennel Club shirts (Gonzaga's student section). Maybe we should do this for next year.