Kudos to the Maniacs Sixth Man on Defense

bsullyok

Anybody notice the Maniacs playing defense like a sixth man on the floor last night against WIU?  There was a time during the game when WIU was looking for a shot, and the shot clock got down to about six seconds.  But the Maniacs were counting down out loud, and when they said, "three, two, one," there were really about six or seven seconds left.  The WIU player took a bad shot, thinking the clock was running down!  Way to go, Maniacs.  Later in the game, they tried it again, and as they counted down to zero, and there were still about 5 seconds on the shot clock, the player with the ball looked up at the shot clock - only fooled them once.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Old Titan

• meatloaf

• bballmangc

I noticed the guys on the bench got a pretty good laugh out of it.

It's kind of like the old "fake the pick-off throw to third base, then whirl around and throw it to first base" play.

You rarely see it work, so when it actually does, it's pretty funny.

That was that Nurse kid, who subsequently shot an airball, which made it even more hilarious. 

There were alot of students there for the WIU game. i was very glad to see that, however, seems the Maniacs number is decreasing? 

I've been a season ticket holder for the last 6 years and the number of Maniacs at the WIU game is the fewest I can recall seeing.  What is the deal?  I'm an OSU grad and while ORU obviously doens't have the same numbers, the Maniacs have always showed up in good numbers historically.  The team needs the Maniacs and I guess you could say this is one man's plea to the students to get to the games and be LOUD.

As my dad says the maniacs are finding out that school is harder than they thought.  :wink: I am sure they are just getting back into the swing of things since break. they'll be back cheering as usual.

That was that Nurse kid, who subsequently shot an airball, which made it even more hilarious. 

There were alot of students there for the WIU game. i was very glad to see that, however, seems the Maniacs number is decreasing? 

There are just too many kids who don't want to cheer all game, or at all for that matter.  IF they come, and most nights that's a big if, they'd rather just go sit around than to cheer on the team.  Our student section has the same problem the rest of the Mabee Center has, very few want to cheer.  They'd rather sit around and be entertained...  :|

As a member of the maniacs it has been really disappointing that this is happening.... it drives me nuts and its my first year.... the Maniacs were what drew me to this university.... I personally am bummed and don't know what the problem is....

While I too am a little distressed at the dwindling number of Maniacs, I am somewhat encouraged by the large number of students in street clothes that stood behind the Maniacs and cheered through most of the game Saturday.

Could it be that some of the students who like to cheer at the game just don't get into the costume thing, especially on a Saturday night when it might be nice to go out after the game wearing something other than a rainbow wig and spandex tights?

Most of the students that come to the game sit, the only ones that stand for the game are the Maniacs.  It is a shame that we have a team that has been to 2 NCAA tournaments and no one else in the student section will stand up and maybe, if they could work it in to their outfit, where a school color at the game.  The students want to be like every other public university well they should try cheering like one too.  The student section on Saturday was nearly full but after the first four rows everyone was sitting.

When I was in town for the TU game, I was also encouraged by how vocal the students sitting behind the Maniacs were. I think it would help if the rest of the students felt included in being part of a 'student section' type atmosphere, instead of it being- the Maniacs and then everyone else.

Students WANT to participate but most ORU students aren't going to put themselves out there to join a group like the Maniacs. So I think it would help if there were a way for everyone to participate without having to wear something crazy. The 'theme nights' are fun, but they don't necessarily make a lot of sense. Having a large, united group of students ALL wearing blue or white matching t-shirts makes a bigger difference than 3 or 4 rows in theme wear. I think those who choose to paint themselves or wear wigs can do that, but it would make a lot more sense to wear ORU's colors. And it doesn't alienate those in the group who choose to just wear a t-shirt. As Mike Carter once said "The show in the stands shouldn't upstage the show on the court".

The 'Mabee Maniacs' should be any student who wants to stand and cheer at a game, not just an exclusive group. A pre-game, Texas A&M type yell practice could also help to get students involved and to learn the cheers.

The 'Blue Crew' idea a few years back was good because it offered students incentives for coming and cheering at the games. One of the problems was that they were in a different section and you had dueling cheering sections.

By the way, the students or the fans shouldn't be let off the hook on this. A lot of the students treat games as another social activity or as a place to meet up before going out on Saturday night, and show up over-dressed. And at that same TU game, I watched Robert Jarvis (aka Big Shot Bob) have a huge game and attempt a few times to get the crowd to get up and yell...and IMO the reaction he got from many was pretty lame. I just hope our enthusiasm at ORU home games can keep up with his. And it should show appreciation for how good our team has been. Same goes for baseball season  :wink:

By the way, the students or the fans shouldn't be let off the hook on this.

So true.  Since the ORU games have such a "whole family" atmosphere, I'm sure it is difficult for some parents that are chasing toddlers around the whole game to really get into it.

The dilemma is; we want butts in the seats from a crowd size perspective, but we don't want their butts in the seat once they are there.  That is always going to be tough.

I'm still at a loss as to how to make the game a rowdy place to be for most of the game.  As a 37 year old crazy (literally, ask my wife) fan, I of course lean way to to one side and find it difficult to understand the "casual fan-dom" in general.  If I'm going to do anything I'm going to do it all the way.  This halfhearted stuff really makes me sick.  Some of the Blue hairs I can understand, they've earned the right by their devotion and $$ to sit if they want but if you're under retirement age and have a voice, you should be up and yelling.

The students have no reason to not cheer other than apathy.  Building a rabid fan base is not an easy endeavor is it MM?

Success helps, but its not a guarantee.  And we all know how Tulsa in general is regarding sporting team support.  It ebbs and flows.

The Maniacs make the home court much more of an advantage than it was when I was in school.  I love their energy.  Keep up the good work and keep brainstorming on ideas to increase not only maniac involvement but total school body involvement.

Those of us FREAKS on the message board just have to be louder I guess until everyone else figures out that basketball games are about passionate support of your team and maybe just maybe it will click eventually with some of them.

Most of the students that come to the game sit, the only ones that stand for the game are the Maniacs.  It is a shame that we have a team that has been to 2 NCAA tournaments and no one else in the student section will stand up and maybe, if they could work it in to their outfit, where a school color at the game.  The students want to be like every other public university well they should try cheering like one too.  The student section on Saturday was nearly full but after the first four rows everyone was sitting.

See, I'm a little disturbed by this "the rest of the students don't care as much as we do" mentality that I've seen in the two or three Maniacs posts in this thread.

I think the Maniacs would be better served by seeking inclusion rather than division in dealing with their classmates.

Trying to shame the typical student into joining/cheering isn't going to work - it's supposed to be fun, not a chore.

And I reiterate that several times Saturday, I noticed at least 6-8 rows of students in casual dress STANDING and cheering right along with the Maniacs.

I think i know how the students feel.  When i'm at the tournament, i am standing, yelling, jeering.

But at home, i am much more relaxed unless the bench clears and a slow white shooter puts up a shot.  Maybe that is just how it is as a fan.  ORU is a quality place and well never go LSU fan on people.

See, I'm a little disturbed by this "the rest of the students don't care as much as we do" mentality that I've seen in the two or three Maniacs posts in this thread.

I think the Maniacs would be better served by seeking inclusion rather than division in dealing with their classmates.

Trying to shame the typical student into joining/cheering isn't going to work - it's supposed to be fun, not a chore.

And I reiterate that several times Saturday, I noticed at least 6-8 rows of students in casual dress STANDING and cheering right along with the Maniacs.

See and this is a good point about that mentallity.. a lot of students feel that the maniacs are an 'exclusive club'.... and i know that tyler has been working on getting EVERYONE to games to come down and cheer, no matter how you are dressed... I think I can speak for many maniacs and say, I dont care if people dress in a certain theme, I just wanna see fans go nuts, and give our team the homecourt advantage they deserve when at the Mabee....

Here's an idea -

Contact the President of the Cameron Crazies and ask him/her for some advice...they start somewhere (and yes obviously they are in an entire different situation)

Here's one annoying thing about ORU basketball games -

I am fully persuaded that the home crowd should stand and cheer until the home team scores their 1st point. Many of us (non maniacs) have tried to do this but you always have some ORU student/fan that says "excuse me, could you please sit down"

"Uhhh... - you don't get it, do you?"

gonna throw this out there... i think the reason some students dont stand is b/c the seats are too darn comfortable...

Here's an idea -

Contact the President of the Cameron Crazies and ask him/her for some advice...they start somewhere (and yes obviously they are in an entire different situation)

Here's one annoying thing about ORU basketball games -

I am fully persuaded that the home crowd should stand and cheer until the home team scores their 1st point. Many of us (non maniacs) have tried to do this but you always have some ORU student/fan that says "excuse me, could you please sit down"

"Uhhh... - you don't get it, do you?"

Nooooooooooo!!!   :-o

I can't stand that ploy - never seems to end well, and just puts pressure on the team to take bad shots early.

What if we go three sraight minutes with some really good team, and we're playing great defense, but so are they, so it's still scoreless - we're going to stand there pleading for a bucket the whole time, like they're doing something wrong?

And then, sit down and STOP cheering, once they finally DO score?

That ought to take the air right out of the ol' balloon!

Here's a thought - how about WE STAND AND CHEER WHEN WE FEEL INSPIRED TO STAND AND CHEER!

You know, like when we DO score, or make a great defensive play, etc.

Otherwise, we might as well just steal some neon "applause" signs from the "Make Your Day Count" set and install them above the backboards... :roll:

When I was in town for the TU game, I was also encouraged by how vocal the students sitting behind the Maniacs were. I think it would help if the rest of the students felt included in being part of a 'student section' type atmosphere, instead of it being- the Maniacs and then everyone else. Students WANT to participate but most ORU students aren't going to put themselves out there to join a group like the Maniacs. So I think it would help if there were a way for everyone to participate without having to wear something crazy. The 'theme nights' are fun, but they don't necessarily make a lot of sense. Having a large, united group of students ALL wearing blue or white matching t-shirts makes a bigger difference than 3 or 4 rows in theme wear. I think those who choose to paint themselves or wear wigs can do that, but it would make a lot more sense to wear ORU's colors. And it doesn't alienate those in the group who choose to just wear a t-shirt. As Mike Carter once said "The show in the stands shouldn't upstage the show on the court".

I would generally agree with you completely about the theme nights sure they are fun but it does stop some fans from joining in because they dont want to dress up so we should do more solid color stuff like the white outs and blue and all that.... but the nights of just one color have been just as bad. I believe it was the IUPUI game we the maniacs were pushing for a white out. we all wore white, passed flyers all over school, there were even cheerleaders at the doors of the cafeteria the entire gameday reminding everyone to wear white and gave out flyers.  And yet there were hardly anyone who actually wore white.

I mean I just want ORU to actually have fans who will cheer and support their team truly giving a homecourt advantage. Im a maniac and i would gladly give up the different themes if it meant getting actual fan involvement. BUt right now it seems like the crowd (in general) gets louder and more into the games on timeouts than on the actaul basketball game. ANd there is definetly a problem with that. 

I dont care what gets changed but something has got to be done.