Kudos to the Maniacs Sixth Man on Defense

bsullyok

You are absolutely right.  This needs to happen ASAP.  With all the games now available on SummitTV (when it works), it's even more important.

You're right ORUTex.  That is another reason we need to have a good crowd on camera.  I want you to feel like you are truly missing out on something fun.  Don't take it personal, but I wish the crowd was so good on camera that you wish you could have been at the game.  I just don't think we make people kick themselves for missing out on another great time at the Mabee Center.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Minyard

• Old Titan

• meatloaf

• bballmangc

Mike, I really think you are on to something big here!

How can we make this happen?

We're only talking about a fraction of the fan base needing to move to new seats.  The majority of K and L are comp tickets for staff members as well as some people that have business relationships with our athletic director.  We do have about 30 or so Golden Eagle Club accounts that would need to relocate.  I don't think we have to drag the entire season ticket group into this thing.  We just need to go account-by-account to make each person happy... They are great fans that we want to keep happy, but they will need to find new seats.  I know that this new movement would have an impact on a couple of our posters.  I'd love to hear their opinions on it.  I'm sure Bogus and Mrs are not thrilled about this idea, but maybe their feedback could help make this as painless as possible if it were to happen.

My idea is to have those people come to the Mabee Center during the summer to select their new seats.  I would cover the non-available seats that are blocked for the renewal period somehow so they would know what is available or not.  I would personally work with each person to make sure they end up being as happy as possible with the change.

What I didn't think about until now is the impact the student section would have on the north side of the arena.  Imagine sitting over in the middle of section B, and seeing all those students on their feet going crazy.  How could you just ignore that and be quiet?

Mike, I really think you are on to something big here!

Well you would be a huge help.  Like I said, I'm still working on this proposal.  It will probably take me a couple months to get it completely ready for presentation.  I would obviously like a letter of approval from some people that would need to relocate.  I know you would be one of the people that would need to get different seats.  You giving up your seats without a fight would be a pretty bold statement to tag along with the proposal.

Good  plan, but we'll get bumped from the seats that we've had and loved for six seasons or more.  I'm not very happy about that thought . . .

Good  plan, but we'll get bumped from the seats that we've had and loved for six seasons or more.  I'm not very happy about that thought . . .

Well there is plenty of room to find some great seats.  We don't have a ton of season ticket holders.  You can get front row seats for the Centenary game, so it's not hard to find good seats.  Heck, you could buy front row seats for the ESPN Bracket Buster still.

Section R, Q and F have zero season ticket holders right now.  So you could get front row seats in section R just like the Maniacs.  Those are great seats.  We even have great seats available in the middle sections (A, B, C, D).

Tim... I could get you fun zone seats in section E that would be prime seats.

Finding everyone a good season ticket seat will not be difficult right now.

Section H would have to still be included in the Fun Zone.  So that needs to be updated on the seating chart map.  We have a lot of people in the upper part of H that are Fun Zone such as ORUTerry.  So we wouldn't ask for you to move.  You would have the students in the first five rows of H, but it shouldn't be a problem.

We'll be glad to stand up during the entire game and yell at the refs.  I just don't know how the Mrs. and I would look in body paint, though!    8-)

We'll be glad to stand up during the entire game and yell at the refs.  I just don't know how the Mrs. and I would look in body paint, though!    8-)

Thanks for THAT visual, Bogus! :-D

Well you would be a huge help.  Like I said, I'm still working on this proposal.  It will probably take me a couple months to get it completely ready for presentation.  I would obviously like a letter of approval from some people that would need to relocate.  I know you would be one of the people that would need to get different seats.  You giving up your seats without a fight would be a pretty bold statement to tag along with the proposal.

As long as I get other seats I don't mind moving.  :-) Honestly any seat in the gold section isn't a bad seat.  Even moving up wouldn't be bad sometimes down low we get blocked by the cheerleaders.  After breaking the routine of not sitting in the same seat, a new seat may be a nice change of pace for season ticket holders. 

Maniacs:

Don't change a thing!  Keep dressing up and yelling your heads off.  You are part of the atmosphere (cheerleaders, dance team, Eli, etc) that we love.  Whenever ORU is televised you are shown - it's great!!  You don't have to include all of the students.  They are welcome, but many will not want to be a maniac. 

Now as for the problem of more students showing up that is different.  It is NOT the maniacs problem.  It sounds like you have done what you can do from a student's perspective.  Someone else from the Athletic Dept or Administration can tackle that challenge.

Keep having fun and making great friendships & memories.

Now as for the problem of more students showing up that is different.  It is NOT the maniacs problem.  It sounds like you have done what you can do from a student's perspective. 

More students are showing up though. For the past 2 games they have filled up a whole section and overflow into another one.

The problem now is getting them excited and cheering.

As far as moving from my seats that would be ok.  Maybe I could find a seat where the band isn't so loud.  I love the pep band, but every now and then I like to have a conversation without screaming.  :)

I don't really see how moving students over to those sections solves the problem of empty seats though.  The student section hasn't been full yet.  Plus for the games over breaks it would be pretty empty.  I do think the students should move away from the end zone, but not spread out to so many sections.  The students also need the cheerleaders in front of them.

The point behind moving the seats to the other side is to look at the games on TV it gives us more appeal.... It makes us look like our fan section is loud and out-of-control...... and with the seats over in the front, and cheaper prices it makes  game more affordable...  It also gives fans incentive to stand in the first five rows, and to get there early  :mrgreen:

Heh, I'm glad that the Maniacs are doing the fake shot clock countdown. I've always thought that it is the absolute best way for the fans to mess up the opposition.

Heh, I'm glad that the Maniacs are doing the fake shot clock countdown. I've always thought that it is the absolute best way for the fans to mess up the opposition.

What you have to do is mix it up.  Maybe the first time count it down right, then do it early, then do it late.  Keep them guessing.  That way at least they will look at the clock instead of the court.