* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

Oh, come on.... we were just having fun.

How about starting a rumor that Arkansas is going to ask Eddie to come and be their basketball coach?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Oh, come on.... we were just having fun.

How about starting a rumor that Arkansas is going to ask Eddie to come and be their basketball coach?

I keep trying to figure some way that Arkansas comes out of this thing looking good, but I can't!

IF they had produced some big-name guy within 24 hours or so after firing Heath, then maybe they might have earned some begrudging respect.

But now, they just look callous for firing a pretty successful coach in Heath, desperate in the way they handled the whole Gillispie thing, and clumsy in their frantic efforts to come up with a "Plan B".

Frank Broyles may have been looking to go out in a blaze of glory with this last major hire.  Instead, this whole fiasco is adding kind of a sad, final note to his legacy, while fanning speculation that he may have already overstayed his effectiveness.

That big sucking sound you hear is the Arkansas basketball program imploding. I don't think they can go to Plan "B".... they will have to go with Plan "F". As much as they wanted a top tier coach, I can't see that happening. Their talk of Gillispie, Self, Floyd, etc. does not appear to be materializing. The natives are restless and I fear that any coach walking into that situation will find divided loyalties.

Their boards are already full of stories about how other schools will negatively recruit against them by saying Arkansas unfairly treated Heath and it will be difficult to get African-American kids to come to Fayetteville.

And by the way, as I mentioned earlier - my Arkansas customers who are tied into the Athletic Department say that Broyles is not going away. We will step down from his position, but will still have an office in the Athletic Department. That sounds fun for the new AD (Ken Hatfield) doesn't it?

Not sure that their program will really implode... but there are indications that Beverly - their great freshman guard - is thinking about transferring.

Guest Rob Marshall
IF they had produced some big-name guy within 24 hours or so after firing Heath, then maybe they might have earned some begrudging respect.

But now, they just look callous for firing a pretty successful coach in Heath, desperate in the way they handled the whole Gillispie thing, and clumsy in their frantic efforts to come up with a "Plan B".

Stan Heath is a solid guy, but "pretty successful" is definitely a stretch when defining his coaching at Arkansas.  He went 82-71 overall and only 31-49 in the SEC!  "Pretty successful"?  You really believe THAT is "pretty successful"?

Look guys, the Arkansas job is a GREAT job ... everyone who truly knows anything about it agrees with that.  So, if Arkansas does NOT fire Heath, they would have had another below average season to look forward to, including continued dwindling attendance which ultimately leads to lost revenue.

There is STILL A LOT at play here guys ... before you start planning Frank's funeral in Fayetteville, pause a moment and grasp this ... (1) Kentucky is THE best job open right now; guys who have a shot at that, are not going to accept the Arkansas job knowing Kentucky is still open.  (2) Donovan is most likely going to end up in Lexington, which would mean that FLORIDA would then be open.  Is Florida a "better" job than Arkansas; today, many would argue "yes," given a National Championship last season followed up by a second straight Final Four this year. Ten years ago, everyone would argue "absolutely not," given Arkansas' National Championship in '94, three (3) Final Fours and six (6) Sweet Sixteen appearances during the 1990's.  (3) Once those dominoes fall, THEN Arkansas will hire a coach ... and he will be someone who will peak the fans' interest much more so than retaining Stan Heath for another year would have, so I don't find any fault in what Arkansas elected to do.

Gillispie was not going to accept Arkansas' offer knowing that Donovan could very well turn down Kentucky after this weekend in the ATL.

Here's a scenario.... (1) Donovan stays at Florida (and unloads the Brinks trucks delivering cash to his house); (2) Gillispie takes the Kentucky job (3) Arkansas raids a mid-major program (Floyd turns them down; as does Few and any other names you can mention)..... Mark Turgeon, Theus or maybe even Rick Majerus - if he doesn't take the Iowa job. Their fans will scream about taking another mid-major coach. If Beverly doesn't leave, the team could have a decent record next year. Tubby jumped too early.... he could have had the Arkansas job. As you said, the dominoes fall from the top.

I think the perfect guy for Arkansas (style-wise) is Mike Anderson of Missouri. Will not happen given his close relationship with Nolan Richardson.

Frank Broyles is the best thing that has ever happened to Arkansas athletics.... he has strengthened the athletic programs and brought in more money than you can imagine. He has earned the right to stay.... but that doesn't mean it is in the best interests of the school and athletic department. It is a recipe for division and disaster.

I agree that the job is good.... the problem is all of the 'stuff' that is flying around the program: Nolan and by extension Stan Heath (racial issues - real or perceived), divided loyalties and unrealistic expectations of the fans (I know, that's everwhere), Frank Broyles and his 'successor' and even the smoldering issue of Houston Nutt and the football team. There is a lot going on that could make a prospective coach hesitate.

Gillispie was not going to accept Arkansas' offer knowing that Donovan could very well turn down Kentucky after this weekend in the ATL.

I honestly don't think Gillespie takes the Arkansas job even if Kentucky was not hiring.

I like the way Billy Donovan is handling himself during a very exciting/stressful period in his life.  He comes across as genuine and sincere in interviews, and I've read good stuff about him as well.  He's a devout Catholic that is outspoken about his faith and walks the walk.

All of that aside, I'm sure it's not lost on him that his value goes up significantly if his team repeats as national champions.  It just depends on the individual as to how much that is motivating him at this point.

Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World just posted this on his blog (3/31/2007 at 11:10 am):

Tulsa World Sports Extra

Hoops Dinner - 3/31/2007 11:10:20 AM

ATLANTA ? Guess who's coming to dinner?

Well, Friday night it was Dana Altman. Several sources confirm that the Creighton coach broke bread with Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles here last night.

It's doubtful that Altman and Broyles discussed the weather and next week's Master's Golf Tournament, which is just up the road in Augusta and one of Broyles' favorite events.

No, the dinner date gave the two men a chance to discuss the basketball job at Arkansas, and to see if Altman would be a good fit to replace the fired Stan Heath.

Altman's name has been mentioned for several jobs in recent years. He could have had the Illinois job when Bill Self left for Kansas, but he turned it down when Illinois officials insisted he keep some current assistants instead of bringing his own staff. He also could have taken the Missouri job last spring, but rejected it.

It's long been rumored that Iowa is Altman's dream job. But coaching the Razorbacks is a better gig than the Hawkeyes and Altman knows it. And, at 48, he knows he needs to soon make a move to a program that gives him a legitimate chance to win the national championship.

Altman has repotedly told those close to him that he won't turn down the Arkansas job if it's offered.

Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon is another name that has been mentioned for the Arkansas gig. And a dark horse candidate could be Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton (more on that later).

Look for Broyles to get this matter settled ASAP. He wants to make sure he's in Augusta for his precious Masters instead of continuing a coaching search.

Guest Rob Marshall

I honestly don't think Gillespie takes the Arkansas job even if Kentucky was not hiring.

Perhaps you're right, but share with me why you think not? 

Better league (SEC over Big 12) ... Bud Walton Arena is a bigger/better basketball facility ... Arkansas is much more of a "basketball school" (history, tradition, interest and support)... at Arkansas, you are THE university and THE basketball program in the entire state ... College Station vs. Fayetteville?  Billy Clyde doesn't care about either (no wife ... no kids ... no worries with where he lives), but if you're asking, most would prefer NW Arkansas (I know it's Arkansas, but it's real nice over there in that part of the state) ...

Uncertainty about who the new AD will be?  Didn't stop Bill Self from leaving Illinois to go to Kansas.  Think if you stay at aTm for now, you'll be up for a "better" job than Arkansas in the near future?  Okay, perhaps (see again Kentucky and/or Florida).

Wow, the information flow on this thread is AMAZING!!!

Rob, to answer your question take a look at any decision making process and the factors involved.

There are the facts, and then there are the feelings.

The tangibles and the intangibles.

All of the facts say that Arkansas is the better job than aTm. Billie knows those facts more than anybody in the country, yet he still turned them down. Sure he could be waiting to see what Kentucky does, but we can't discount the feelings factor that could have influenced his decision as well.

Billie's heart might be telling him that he likes what he's got established at aTm. Maybe he looks at the success he's had in the Big 12 this year, and likes the idea of the Aggie's consistently whipping tail and making deep runs in the tournament. The board of regents have in fact decided to "go" the construction of the new arena. He could see that facility as being  one of the factors that helps him to consistently recruit athletes just as good or better than OU, OSU, Tech, and everyone else except for Texas and Kansas.

It wouldn't be the first time that we've seen a coach initially turn down or even decline after allready accepting a job at a big time program.  Just a thought.

The Hog fans seem to be convinced that it will be either Calipari or Altman.... Hard to think that Calipari would turn down Kentucky (or did he?) to go to Arkansas. Altman would be a very interesting choice to go to Arkansas. Talk about culture shock.... It's going to be interesting.

An Arkansas television station is saying that the Hogs have placed an offer in front of Calipari. And that Calipari initiated the contact. Here is the story:

Arkansas Fox TV Station

Nice find, Terry.

"Sources tell FOX16 Calipari's is interested in Arkansas because he wouldn't have to compete against an NBA team in his home venue.

FOX16 has also learned that Calipari has always had his eye on Arkansas since he left the University of Massachusetts."

Those statements are pathetic. 

Fantastic links guys. This thread has got to be the most informative on the national coaching scene that I've read on any board. We are so lucky! :-D

Calipari and Arkansas seem to be a really good fit.

For Arkansas based on what the AD was looking for, Calipari is a proven coach whose teams' have advanced very far in the NCAA tournament. His name will get butts in the seats. He has experience recruiting the Arkansas-Memphis pipeline very well, and he plays an uptempo style of basketball that will be exciting to watch.

Calipari's personality was made for Prime Time, and he will be the Big Fish in a Big Pond. He will have the opportunity to compete in what is currently one of the toughest conferences in college basketball and really test his skills with a program that could afford him an even greater opportunity to win a national title.

Frank Broyles may end up looking like a genius after this is said and done. 

Ben Miller to UMKC? He's a former Kansas assistant coach (9 years) under Roy Williams and has been at MSU for about 2 years. He is Barry's main recruiter it appears. Not a good sign for Barry - or for us if he can build something at UMKC.

Hey, MoState417.... tell us more about this guy. Will he run the Kansas (Roy Williams) style of basketball or more of a slow down tempo?