* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

Rick Majerus and Mark Turgeon's names are also being mentioned for the Razorbacks.

Though his star-power isn't quite as bright now as it was this same time last year, and his $700,00 salary would be tough to top, Turgeon is still a popular prospect.  Considering how the Arkansas search is going so far, it may fall down to him, or someone like him.

If and when Turgeon leaves Wichita, would the Shockers look to Scott Sutton?  He beat them the last two times he played them, once in Wichita.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

That Hog job is getting harder and harder.... the fans are not going to like that they have had to 'stoop' to taking what they perceive as 2nd or 3rd tier candidates. The good thing is that the team should be very good next year - as long as Beverly stays, which is open to question. That is why Heath's dismissal is so sad - the team will probably be bery successful next year.... with his players.

Don't know if I missed this on the board or what over the last 5 pages...

Rumors in Big Ten country have Dana Altman leaving Creighton and going to Iowa, leaving that spot open, and rumors have Sutton on the radar for it

Somewhere I've seen those rumors floating around - don't know if it was on here or elsewhere.

Don't know if I missed this on the board or what over the last 5 pages...

Rumors in Big Ten country have Dana Altman leaving Creighton and going to Iowa, leaving that spot open, and rumors have Sutton on the radar for it

can you provide the link to Creighton's message board?

Over there they are saying that on the website of the firm that was helping with the coaching searches of both Iowa and Kentucky they have taken down those two openings - the assumption being that the positions have been filled.  At this point nothing definite on who might be filling either position.  Stay tuned . . .

FYI, here's the link to the search firm being used by Iowa and KY, and clearly those two schools are not listed:

Parker Executive Search

This AM on the Creighton board the prevailing thought is that Altman stays at Creighton, and that Rick Majerus, who has made it known he wants the Iowa job, goes there.  Either him, or B.J. Armstrong.  One thing is for certain - a guy that says he normally has insiders in the Creighton program says that they are in lock-down mode right now, and that no info is coming out.  Apparently Altman told a recruit that he wasn't going anywhere, and that's what they're basing their assumptions on.

Majerus seems to have a good basketball mind - I enjoy his analysis on television broadcasts. Hope he has his health under control. I think he would be a good choice for the Hawkeyes. Altman has shown a reluctance to leave Omaha - he seems to be settled and is making enough money to live comfortably.

An interesting article from the KC Star about what's going on in Arkansas:

When egos, money collide

Here's who they're still hoping for - from a post on the Rivals Arkansas message board today:

"I still think Gillispie is a strong possibility.

I'll stick with BCG, Floyd, Self and Majerus and say one of them will be here. I do think Self is very unlikely now - not sure even 'silly' money will do it.

Mrs. One-of-those-listed-above was here yesterday, looking at Fayetteville homes and amenities..."

Well, here's the inside info I've received this Morning.

I have a friend who's a hog alum and knows the Ark. local radio guys and what is being put out there Today from the Ark. insider is that Floyd and Self have told them to take a flyin' leap and that Majerus' health will be an issue soooo...

According to them Scott Sutton is pretty high on the list now...It would be a disappointment to Hog fans but is a decent probability.

Hankins or Williams as replacement if it happens???

Majerus is a major candidate for the Iowa job - which is a much better fit for him. Not sure he should really get back into coaching given his health. I'm sure he makes a decent living on TV and does not have all of the headaches and pressure/health concerns that running a major college basketball program would create. Of course, his ego may be driving him towards a return to the coaching ranks.

Arkansas (Frank Broyles) has dug themselves a big hole by firing Heath and not having a successor lined up. The fans will not be happy with the program taking what is perceived as the 4th or 5th choice. Difficult situation for whoever walks into the job. They will have to do a major sales job - and win.

We've long felt that one of those guys would be the natural replacement if and when Scott left, Eddie.  Call me an ostrich if you want, with my head in the sand, but I'm not quite ready to pack up our coach and start looking for his replacement.  While Arkansas is one of the few jobs that I would guess Scott would be interested in, I'm sure he'd be weighing the benefits of the move up with the treatment that Heath got over there.  That's just my guess.  Maybe it's a job he couldn't refuse, or maybe he's happy enough right where he's at, given the stresses of a premier program.

I guess time will tell.

I imagine that Arkansas could pay their assistant coaches more than we pay Scott as head coach. If they were driven only by money, all of the assistants would follow Scott if he went to Fayetteville. I suspect that whoever did not get the ORU job would follow Scott. If Corey or Tom and Conley would not agree to follow him, I seriously think Scott would pause about taking the job.

I imagine that they would find most of what we talk about on this board amusing....

Trying to decide what to make of Creighton assistant Kevin McKenna taking the Indiana State job, and what that might indicate about Dana Altman taking the Iowa job (as rumored), or the Arkansas job (as conjectured).

McKenna is 47 years old, a former player for the Blue Jays back in the late 70's, and has been an assistant at Creighton for nine years.

Hard to imagine McKenna would leave Creighton and the opportunity to move up to that head coaching job if he thought Altman might be leaving for Iowa or Arkansas.

Altman has reportedly told friends and associates that he would like to coach another 10-15 years at Creighton, then retire.

McKenna's move may be further evidence that Altman isn't going anywhere soon.

Exactly my thoughts OT. I cannot believe that Altman would let McKenna take the ISU job if he knew that the Creighton position would be available. Altman has been in the 'big time' and may have been 'burned out' by the experience. He has a nice job and make some serious money. The only thing that makes me pause is that Creighton graduated several players and I assume that he will be in a re-building mode the next couple of years.