* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

Memphis awards Calipari with extension through 2012 

March 26, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports   

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- John Calipari, who guided Memphis to the NCAA regional final for the second season in a row, received a contract extension through 2012 on Monday.

Calipari's name was tossed out as a candidate for job openings like Kentucky even before Memphis lost 92-76 to top-seeded Ohio State in the South Regional on Saturday.

Memphis went 33-4 and 16-0 in Conference USA, and the Tigers' enjoyed a 25-game winning streak before the loss to the Buckeyes.

"There are not many teams in college basketball that have won 66 games over a two-year span or have gone through an entire conference season undefeated," athletic director R.C. Johnson said in a statement.

Terms of the contract were not yet available.

Calipari is 181-63 in seven seasons at Memphis. He said university officials have shown they remain committed to top facilities and academics.

"I have repeatedly stated that as long as that commitment remains strong, I will be the head coach at the University of Memphis," Calipari said in a statement. "We have had a tremendous seven years, especially the incredible ride during the past two seasons, and I look forward to continuing that success in the coming years."

Calipari loses only key reserve Jeremy Hunt after Memphis came up one game short of the Final Four for the second consecutive season. Memphis went 33-4 and lost to eventual runner-up UCLA in a regional final last season.

Calipari's overall record is 374-134.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Does anyone else get the distinct impression the inmates are running the asylum over in Fayetteville right now?

Everyone who thinks they know anything about Arkansas basketball has maintained basically the same posture since yesterday:  "They would never have fired Heath if they didn't have somebody really big already waiting in the wings."

They all seem to think it's Gillispie, many of them claiming he's already "agreed in principle" to a contract.

1. Did it not occur to them that he might just be using them to get a pay raise from Texas A&M?

2. Did it occur to their fans that maybe some overzealous regents and big-money boosters are WAY too involved in this process?

3. Are they all really that naive? 

4. Or full of themselves?

Answers:  1. Apparently not    2. You would hope so, but probably not    3. Maybe   4. Definitely!

To paraphase good ol' Ross Perot, that huge sucking sound we're hearing from the East in Tulsa may be the collective hot air escaping from Hog Nation's over-inflated ego.

Can you imagine the disappointment hanging in the room if and when Arkansas has to introduce somebody - ANYBODY - else as head coach after all this? :|

Gillispie is going to make a lot of money out of this situation, because Arkansas is going to up the ante  - and Teaxs A&M will match or exceed it. You're right, the people I talk to in Arkansas were convinced that Broyles, et al had things lined up so that they could announce Heath's replacement soon after they pushed him out the door. Maybe they will.... stay tuned.

It's very possible that Gillispie did in fact agree to a deal with Arkansas last week ... and has since changed his mind or aTm anted up more than they thought he would.  I know for a fact that the only reason Dean Smith retired when he did was because Roy Williams had agreed to go coach at UNC ... then changed his mind and stayed at Kansas for a few more years.  You never really know what's going on with the situation. 

From scout.com:

Gillispie Is Prime Target For Vacancy 

Billy Gillispie  By Ryan Malashock

The Morning News/Razorback Central

Posted Mar 27, 2007

FAYETTEVILLE -- Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie is Arkansas' No. 1 target for its now-vacant coaching position, a source close to the basketball program told The Morning News. 

Now, no formal discussions have been held with Gillispie, no formal negotiations have taken place. But talks between Gillispie's friends and those close to the Arkansas program have occurred, the source said.

As the situation involving Minnesota coach Tubby Smith proved, informal talks can lead to sudden announcements.

In fact, the source said Gillispie would likely become Arkansas' replacement for Stan Heath, who was fired Monday by the university. If Gillispie didn't become the 14th basketball coach in Arkansas history, the source said Kansas' Bill Self and Southern California's Tim Floyd would be contacted next.  How delusional is that?

When contacted Monday, the Texas A&M sports information department refused to discuss any rumors about Gillispie, stating "it didn't comment on personnel matters."

Gillispie took Texas A&M to the "Sweet 16" this season. The Aggies lost by one point to Memphis, finishing with a 27-7 overall record and a 13-3 mark in the Big 12 Conference.

He has coached three seasons in College Station and two seasons at Texas-El Paso before that.

Back in Fayetteville, Arkansas' players were left to ponder who their next coach would be.

Junior point guard Gary Ervin responded to a query about Arkansas' future coach by naming no one in particular.

"Being a fan of college basketball, I've been watching the games and been hearing some things about the coaches they are trying to get," Ervin said. "Right now I am just waiting to see what is going on. At the same time, I am still hurting for (Coach Heath)."

Many of the Razorbacks surely shared Ervin's sentiments.

But one emphatically did not. Junior forward Vincent Hunter, likely disgruntled with his decreasing role on the team, didn't hide his feelings.

"For me, I really didn't play as much as I wanted to play," Hunter said. "I deserve more than zero minutes a game, you know. That kind of turned me off a little bit on Coach Heath. When I heard the news, I just thought that I didn't care if he got fired or not."

Hunter, Ervin and junior Cyrus McGowan were the only players who spoke to the media late Monday afternoon. They showed up with freshman Michael Washington for a scheduled team meeting that got moved to Heath's residence.

Ervin, the team's respected leader, did most of the talking. He alluded to how much the rumors and speculation nagged at the Hogs, even as they went on their late-season surge.

"It made it hard as we were playing at the end of the season, but we finally found out what is going on with our coaching staff," Ervin said. "It is a tough feeling."

Patrick Beverley, the Razorbacks' SEC Freshman of the Year, was not in Fayetteville on Monday. Beverley was to sit down with his mother, Lisa, Monday night in Chicago to discuss his future. Beverley hadn't returned to Arkansas from spring break.

Whoever the Razorbacks' next coach is, Gillispie or not, expect him to inherit one of the most ideal situations for a first-year coach. No one on Arkansas' roster graduates. The Hogs could enter the 2007-08 season as the favorites in the Southeastern Conference Western Division. Even Heath referred to Arkansas' potential next year as he addressed the media a few hours after learning his fate.

As for the players, they'd just like to move on as fast as possible.

"I don't think I am looking for anything except the same kind of things from Coach Heath," Ervin said. "The main thing is whoever is going to be our coach, we need to go out there and win some ballgames. That is the main thing. Just have some fun and just continue to do some things that we did at the end of the season to make us a fun team to watch."

Iowa asks for permission to talk to Tennessee's Bruce Pearl about their vacant coaching job.

Pearl says, "Sure."

Then turns them down flat.

Granted, Pearl carries a lot of Big Ten baggage due to his previous stint as an assistant at Iowa, but consider this:  here's a guy who's not only at a football school in a football conference - he's not even the most popular basketball coach on campus!  That title, of course, goes to women's legend Pat Summit.  Tennessee's men's job is at best the fourth best gig in the SEC right now behind Kentucky, Florida and Arkansas - and may not even be as appealing long-term as LSU, Alabama, or Georgia.

Should this tell us something about the Iowa job? 

Some of these schools (fans) are living in the past and are delusional. Established coaches are thining twice about moving into a new (and unhealthy?) environment where the administration and fans are unrealistic.

If anyone was going to take the Iowa job you would have thought it would be Pearl. He has a history with the Hawkeyes and would not have to chafe at being the 3rd guy on the totem pole. He is not only behind Pat Summit in terms of attendance/support - he does not make as much money as she does. That's got to make interesting conversation with other coaches during the Final Four meetings.

Guest Rob Marshall
Should this tell us something about the Iowa job? 

Yes, it absolutely does ...

(1)  Iowa didn't offer him enough money ... yet.

(2)  Like Billy Gillispie, he's waiting to see what shakes out in Lexington first ... is Billy Donovan going to UK or the Miami Heat?  Would Pearl rather be at Florida than Tennessee?  Or how about Texas if Rick Barnes were to trickle into the UK job?  Donovan's in-laws live in Lexington and it's the only school specifically mentioned in his contract with the University of Florida ... obviously "Billy the kid" is THE hot coach, who happens to have a very busy (extended perhaps even through Monday night?) weekend coming up, and what Billy D. decides to do will determine was Gillispie, Pearl and potentially others (Rick Barnes, Lon Kruger, Jay Wright, etc.) will do.

(3) The weather in Iowa City on January 21st can't compete with Florida, Texas or even Tennessee for that matter!   :-D

(4)  Bruce has become too attached to all the orange colored clothing in his closet and he doesn't think he'll look at good in yellow as he does orange.

(5)  He wants to attend the Women's Final Four and cheer on the Lady Vols ... he wouldn't be welcomed if he were the new head coach at Iowa.

Guest Blevins

It tells us what we already know... Iowa is about the 7th-best job in the Big Ten, which means it isn't as good as Tennessee.

It tells us what we already know... Iowa is about the 7th-best job in the Big Ten, which means it isn't as good as Tennessee.

Also, Tennessee is the fourth best job in the SEC and the SEC is arguably a better conference than the B10, so you'd have to have a top 2 or 3 job in the B10 to equate to the Tennessee job!

The Houston Chronicle reports today that Billy Gillispie has agreed to a $2 million contract extension with Texas A&M.

Gillispie played this situtation like a Steinway piano. 

Arkansas hasn't been duped this badly since electing Bill Clinton governor.

John Rhode of The Daily Oklahoman pointed out last night on the radio that the Arkansas job may actually be a tough sell to other A-list coaches, due to the lame-duck status of AD Frank Broyles.  Whoever takes this job will have a new boss in 9 months.

Now, who do the Hogs go after - and who will take it?

They are seriously talking about Self moving over from KU.... how delusional is that. Their third choice is Tim Floyd of USC. Wonder how far down the list they will have to go?

On the radio this AM they said that Broyles claims to have made an offer, and that they're awaiting a reply.

Now that Iona has bought out the contract of Head Coach Jeff Ruland, the number of DI openings is up to 20. That's about 17% of all DI jobs ... and the post-season is not even over yet! 

Here's the complete list:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2644537

Might want to check your math.  There are over 300 D1 basketball schools.

They are seriously talking about Self moving over from KU.... how delusional is that. Their third choice is Tim Floyd of USC. Wonder how far down the list they will have to go?

I laughed when I read this. There is no way that either of those coaches leave their schools for Arkansas. Head Coach at KU is one of the cr?me de la cr?me coaching jobs in all of sports.  Head coach at Arkansas is like having Bryers French Vanilla in a half pint from your grocer's freezer- good stuff, but far from the best.

Not going to happen!  Bill wants the O-State job someday, but I don't see him leaving Kansas any time soon.