Next Year

ORU Eli

March, 2003 - "We sure are going to miss Reggie Borges.  He had really come into his own as a scorer and rebounder.  Hopefully, those incoming freshmen Tutt and Green can contribute." 

March, 2005 - "We sure are going to miss Luke Spencer-Gardner's leadership and toughness.  Hope Jonathan can stay healthy running the point all year".

March, 2006 - "How are we going to win without Larry Owens?  He did so many things well. The roster sure does look thin after losing six seniors and those three freshmen recruits not panning out."

March, 2007 - "How will we ever replace Ken and Caleb?  They were the heart and soul of this team for four years.  Who's going to step up in their place?"

Right now, all we can see is what we've lost.

By end of the summer, we'll have a better idea of what we have.

Could be worse than this year...

Might be better...

Definitely will be different.

That was a great post, OT.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• ashVID

Guest Rob Marshall

Would someone please enlighten me on this "weak" non-conference schedule we supposedly have in place already?

As of last week, I was told the only definite games so far are hosting TU, visiting Utah State (with senior Jaycee Carroll), and an exempt 3-game holiday tournament that will include the usual assortment of mid-majors and BCS schools.

Where's the weak part? :?

Well, okay does it make you feel better OT if I say next season's pre-conference schedule will be "weakER" than this past season's (compared to playing @ Loyola-Marymount, @ Kansas, @ TU, @ Tenn-Chat, @ Georgetown and @ BYU, plus a Big East doormat team in the BYU tournament)?  "Weak" is a relative term, so let's agree to disagree on that and you tell me OT, do you think ORU will win AT LEAST FOUR (4) pre-conference games in 2007-08?  If you're suggesting "no, that's unrealistic," then you have zero credibility left.

Throw out the "term" (weak), and focus on my point ... confidently, ORU should be expected to win AT LEAST four (4) non-conference games next season.  Mix in a lot of probable wins in the Mid Con and play three "at home" games in the conference tournament, twenty (20) wins is a realistic expectation don't you agree?

CUSA has been pretty bad, I admit it. Take out Memphis and it is not much better than the Mid-Con. The Mid-Con was rated #22 this year, 28 last year, 24 the year before, 21 the year before, and 27 the year before that. So 25th ranked conference is prolly a better indication than 30.

For Old Titan, let me revise my statement, it appears to me that ORU's run is over. They need a couple great players who can contribute immediately to avoid a down year. By down I mean, no post season, no Mid-Con champ... I dont think ORU will be outside the Mid-Con top 4 or 5 no matter what.

ash  =o)

For Old Titan, let me revise my statement, it appears to me that ORU's run is over. They need a couple great players who can contribute immediately to avoid a down year. By down I mean, no post season, no Mid-Con champ... I dont think ORU will be outside the Mid-Con top 4 or 5 no matter what.

ash  =o)

Those four words make all the difference in the world.  Written that way, I can respect it as your opinion.

I just hope you're wrong... :-D

Guest Rob Marshall

Those four words make all the difference in the world.  Written that way, I can respect it as your opinion.

I just hope you're wrong... :-D

OT, you're human after all.  Again, it's refreshing to see your humble side, open to acknowledging and respecting the opinion of another.  Now, didn't that feel great!?!?!?  Please repeat often!  :-D

Well, okay does it make you feel better OT if I say next season's pre-conference schedule will be "weakER" than this past season's (compared to playing @ Loyola-Marymount, @ Kansas, @ TU, @ Tenn-Chat, @ Georgetown and @ BYU, plus a Big East doormat team in the BYU tournament)?  "Weak" is a relative term, so let's agree to disagree on that and you tell me OT, do you think ORU will win AT LEAST FOUR (4) pre-conference games in 2007-08?  If you're suggesting "no, that's unrealistic," then you have zero accountability left.

Throw out the "term" (weak), and focus on my point ... confidently, ORU should be expected to win AT LEAST four (4) non-conference games next season.  Mix in a lot of probable wins in the Mid Con and play three "at home" games in the conference tournament, twenty (20) wins is a realistic expectation don't you agree?

What would make me "feel better" is ending this ridiculous back-and-forth between the two of us.

But that's not going to happen in this reply! :x

Who named you the All-High-Judge of Zero Accountability?  Did I miss a memo?

Look, here's the deal:  if we play a 30-game regular season schedule, and 18 of those games are Mid-Con games, that leaves just 12 non-conference games in the regular season.  You know some of those games are going to be guarantee games on the road - the program needs those games for the revenue.  You also know that we have to return a road game to Utah State from this year's Bracket Buster game, and if we participate in this year's Bracket Buster series, then that game will be on the road against a pretty good mid-major opponent.  Plus a TOUGH home game against an up-and-coming TU team.  Plus, the exempt holiday tournament, where you have to expect at least one loss, because I don't think ORU has EVER won a 3-game exempt tournament in its HISTORY.

Sure, throw in two home wins against non D-1 opposition.  But I'm afraid I see at least 6 non-conference road and neutral court losses, which means just four games will make the difference of going between 2-10 and 6-6.  And we don't even know yet WHO those games will be against, or WHERE!  So the jury is still out on the non-conference record, at least until we have a schedule.  At least, that's the way I see it - from a zero accountability standpoint, that is...

OT, you're human after all.  Again, it's refreshing to see your humble side, open to acknowledging and respecting the opinion of another.  Now, didn't that feel great!?!?!?  Please repeat often!   :-D

I treat everyone who's opinion I respect that way, Rob...

Guest Rob Marshall

Look, here's the deal:  if we play a 30-game regular season schedule, and 18 of those games are Mid-Con games, that leaves just 12 non-conference games in the regular season.  You know some of those games are going to be guarantee games on the road - the program needs those games for the revenue.  You also know that we have to return a road game to Utah State from this year's Bracket Buster game, and if we participate in this year's Bracket Buster series, then that game will be on the road against a pretty good mid-major opponent.  Plus a TOUGH home game against an up-and-coming TU team.  Plus, the exempt holiday tournament, where you have to expect at least one loss, because I don't think ORU has EVER won a 3-game exempt tournament in its HISTORY.

Sure, throw in two home wins against non D-1 opposition.  But I'm afraid I see at least 6 non-conference road and neutral court losses, which means just four games will make the difference of going between 2-10 and 6-6.  And we don't even know yet WHO those games will be against, or WHERE!  So the jury is still out on the non-conference record, at least until we have a schedule.  At least, that's the way I see it - from a zero accountability standpoint, that is...

OT, my bad, and thank you for pointing out my mistake.  I meant to say, no CREDIBILITY (I've edited my original post, so thank you for pointing my error out so I could edit appropriately).  So are you saying you're okay with ORU winning LESS THAN FOUR (4) non-conference games in 2007-08?  Wow!  Now that's right in line with Oral Roberts' famous words, "MAKE NO SMALL PLANS HERE!"  You're kidding right?  Seriously!?!?!

Now, I agree, there will be a few "tough to win" games, but there will surely be at least six (6) very winnable games too.  I would not be disappointed at all with a 6-6 non-conference record, but 2-10, yes, I think that would be very disappointing to everyone here and everyone who works at ORU (RR, MC, SS, etc.) ... and what is this, you're already sand-baggin' about "TU's up-and-coming" program and how difficult it will be to beat the high-and-mighty Golden Hurricane playing on ORU's home court ... wow, now that's funny.  I can't believe you'd let the likes of Gold and ash intimidate you like that.

If we play in the Bracket Buster, it will be a home game...

As long as the Mid-Con still gets two schools in for Bracket Buster, it would be real hard to imagine ORU not being one of them.

If we play in the Bracket Buster, it will be a home game...

I assumed we had to go on the road, since we had a home game this past year - not the case?

IF we are in the BracketBuster, how do we we rate home games in back-to-back years?

OT, my bad, and thank you for pointing out my mistake.  I meant to say, no CREDIBILITY (I've edited my original post, so thank you for pointing my error out so I could edit appropriately).  So are you saying you're okay with ORU winning LESS THAN FOUR (4) non-conference games in 2007-08?  Wow!  Now that's right in line with Oral Roberts' famous words, "MAKE NO SMALL PLANS HERE!"  You're kidding right?  Seriously!?!?!

Now, I agree, there will be a few "tough to win" games, but there will surely be at least six (6) very winnable games too.  I would not be disappointed at all with a 6-6 non-conference record, but 2-10, yes, I think that would be very disappointing to everyone here and everyone who works at ORU (RR, MC, SS, etc.) ... and what is this, you're already sand-baggin' about "TU's up-and-coming" program and how difficult it will be to beat the high-and-mighty Golden Hurricane playing on ORU's home court ... wow, now that's funny.  I can't believe you'd let the likes of Gold and ash intimidate you like that.

Hey, can I get a Coke and some fries with those words you're putting in my mouth? :roll:

Here, let me put this in really big, bright letters, since apparantly you have some sort of reading disorder:

We don't have a schedule yet, so who knows what non-conference record would be OK/good/bad/acceptable/disappointing/etc. - it all boils down to who we're playing!!

I'll leave it up to the coaching staff to decide whether taking our lumps against a tough schedule, or building our confidence against an easy schedule, is the way to go.  Either way, I would just like to be playing our best basketball come March.

And, yes - I think TU is going to be pretty good, especially if Uzoh recovers 100% from his knee injury, as is expected.  Would love to beat them, but would assume it's going to be tough.  Something wrong with that?

Because teams go twice oon the road, then twice at home.

Gotcha - thanks.

But you don't appear to think we'll be in it (the whole "if" thing).

Would that be by our choice, the Mid-Con, ESPN, or what?

This is the third season that Valpo has been third or worse in the Mid-Con, but they continue to receive invitations - probably because of the name recognition factor.  After ORU has won the regular season three times in a row, won the Mid-Con tournament twice in a row, and as a result, been to the NCAA tournament twice, surely we wouldn't lose our invite based on the fact that potentially we could be in a rebuilding year.  Even if we are down we probably wouldn't be any worse than Valpo has been (i.e. second or third in conference) when they were selected for the BracketBuster.

The outstanding job done by Cris Belvin and Mike Minyard made this year's televised bracketbuster special.  However, with the expanded field and limited TV games, I think the BracketBuster concept has lost some of it's specialness.  The good probably still outweighs the bad (at least MM thought so at the time of the Utah State game), so I would imagine that if we're invited we'll participate.  Just my guess.

This is the third season that Valpo has been third or worse in the Mid-Con, but they continue to receive invitations - probably because of the name recognition factor.  After ORU has won the regular season three times in a row, won the Mid-Con tournament twice in a row, and as a result, been to the NCAA tournament twice, surely we wouldn't lose our invite based on the fact that potentially we could be in a rebuilding year.  Even if we are down we probably wouldn't be any worse than Valpo has been (i.e. second or third in conference) when they were selected for the BracketBuster.

The outstanding job done by Cris Belvin and Mike Minyard made this year's televised bracketbuster special.  However, with the expanded field and limited TV games, I think the BracketBuster concept has lost some of it's specialness.  The good probably still outweighs the bad (at least MM thought so at the time of the Utah State game), so I would imagine that if we're invited we'll participate.  Just my guess.

I wonder if the Horizon, Colonial and Missouri Valley even want to participate any more.

The whole idea was to give their teams exposure.  They have that now.

Winning a BracketBuster game doesn't seem to help their teams with the NCAA selection committee, as much as losing one hurts them.

As it stands right now, all the BracketBuster seems to "guarantee" is that some of the best teams from the Horizon, Colonial, and Missouri Valley may get stuck with a mid-major loss on their "Last 10 Games" resume once the selection committee meets...