Next Year

ORU Eli

Well, ORU lost and the tournament has been mostly void of any major excitement and upsets that we saw in last year's contest...I think I've only watched one other tournament game start to finish - something about having hope for a first round win this year and then losing deflated my enthusiasm over the entire tournament in significant way.

So, looking towards next year...what do we have? I think Voice commented on another thread that anybody who is predicting an ORU collapse next year without Green and Tutt is wrong. I hope he's right. But without slanting this question at all - Who do we have that's going to lead next year? I haven't heard anything about the KSU and Portland transfers - anybody noticed how they perform in practice? Are we expecting Vealy, Moses, or even Jarvis to come in and lead the team? What are the expectations...?

My initial guess is that you're going to have a team that's a little confused over it's identity the first month or two...it might be a very difficult beginning to our out-of-conference schedule as the team figures out who they are and how they are going to gel. Just my opinion, but you don't go from having two of the best players you've had in years and years lead your team for 3-4 years straight and then transition smoothly. If we had picked up whats-his-face prep player slash Seton Hall defect from North Carolina then maybe that could happen, but I think we'll be under .500 going into conference play and then be able to put together a 12-6 type of conference record and make a run at the Mid-Con title with a tourney birth up in the air between us and whoever (Oakland, UMKC, etc).

Thoughts? Starting Lineup and Key Reserve Projections?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• ashVID

Starters for Next Year.

g Adam Liberty    Sr.

g Moses Ehambe  Sr.

f Yemi Ogunoye    Sr.

f Marchello Vealy  Jr.

c Shawn King      Sr.

Key Reserves

g Curtis Allen      Jr.

g Robert Jarvis    Jr.

f Marcus Lewis    Jr.

Question Mark Reseves

g Egidijus Budrikis  So.

g Kyron Stokes      Fr.

f  Sylvester Spicer So

f  Darren Jordan    So.

g Ben Haynes        Jr.

g Matt Scherbenske Fr.

On paper we are a junior and senior heavy team with the seniors having some good game time experience.  It will definately depend on who steps up to fill the rolls left by Tutt and Green.  Vealy should start putting up great numbers once he gets big time minutes every night.  And the question remains whether Moses can become the big time shooter/scorer that it seems like we all agree he has the potential for.  He will probably get the start based on tenure until he proves he belongs in the lineup or until someone else steps up over him.  I like the transfers of Curtis Allen and Marcus Lewis they should see some big time minutes the whole season and should be the same for Robert Jarvis.  Haven't heard much about Stokes but he seems like he will probably be a stud athlete but probably not ready to play right away (Sutton hasn't recruited a freshman ready to play since Green, Tutt, and  Vealy) so on first thought seems he might be a redshirt candidate unless he proves he is ready to go.  It will be interesting to see if any major improvement comes from Darren Jordan, Spicer, or Budrikis seems like they have skills but might not be ready for the D1 level.  Hopefully they will be ready to contribute for next season.  It seems like we have a lot of scholarships used up already, does anyone know if we have any left to use for this year?  Or if maybe we might see one or two of these guys transferring if no playing time is imminently available. 

I'd like to see Budrikis or somebody fill the role of reliable bench player who can come in and hit the big shots. Role players like that are huge keys in turning a few of those losses into wins. My main concern is a vocal leader who is going to get lead the team in stats, on the floor, and in the locker room. I hope Vealy has it in him - he's got two years to really shine. Ehambe playing Tutt to Vealy's Green would be nice too.

What about Sango?  I think he could be really good and provides a nice change of pace coming off the bench.  I think King and Veally will be unleashed by Caleb's departure and could both turn into scoring machines.  Yemi needs to play 2 on 3 basketball all summer with his teammate double-teamed to force him to work on his offensive game.  If he could gain the confidence to drive to the basket or drive and pull up for a 12 footer, it would prevent defences from sagging off of him.

Can we get Vealy into the same big man camp that Caleb went to?  That seemed to really pay off for Caleb.

Eli,

Mark it down...Moses will be that leader.  He'll continue to develop Defense and mid-range game and keep raining 3s.  He already is the vocal leader in the locker room and will take that on the court and hopefully in the statistical catagories as well.  I look for him to avg. 13-15 pts a game. 

He is a solid young man and will be a great leader for a couple more years.

Sango should be another vocal leader type but may not start so it's more difficult being a leader from the sidelines.

Vealy,Liberty,Yemi,& Shawn are silent, lead by example type personalities like ken and caleb were.  They don't seem to have too many highs and lows in emotion. 

That's a shortened analysis, but it IS 5pm and I gotta run. 

What Starting Line-Up Probably Will Be 11/1/07:  King, Liberty, Ogunoye, Ehambe, Vealy

What Starting Line-Up Probably Should Be 11/1/07:  King, Liberty, Allen, Lewis, Vealy

Players With Guaranteed Starting Spots Entire Season (health permitting):  King

Moses needs to work on creating for the open shot.  He is very limited.  It seems all he can do is catch and shoot.  Liberty has the potential, as a point guard, to be our leading scorer.  I wish the coaching staff would allow him to drive to the basket more.  Anytime he ever did this he was rarely stopped, and if he was, he would dish it off to King or Caleb for the easy lay up.  I don't know if I really want any one player to "lead" the team when it comes to scoring.  I like it better when you have a team where any one of the starters can lead the team in scoring...which is what we may have next year. 

This past season it seemed all the team did was pass it down to the post or settle for the three.  Why did we rarely have our players driving to the basket and going up with it or dishing it off?

Oops...forgot about Sango...he'll definitely be in the mix.

OT - what do you know about Allen and Lewis to say that? Is that speculation or have you seen them play?

Given Sutton's well-known loyalty - I suspect that our initial line-up will be:

Point Guard:  Adam Liberty

Shooting Guard:  Moses Ehambe

Small Forward:  Yemi Ogunoye

Power Forward: Marchello Vealy

Center: Shawn King

First off the bench: (some of this is conjecture given our limited or non-existent knowledge of some of the 'new' players)

Point Guard: Robert Jarvis (though he is really a combo guard - I think)

Shooting Guard:  Curtis Allen (I saw him play in a scrimmage; very quick & athletic- like Sango but a better shooter) and Kyron Stokes

Wing/Small Forward: Kelvin Sango (could also play point guard - I think)

Power Forward: Marcus Lewis (also saw him in a scrimmage; wide body with a nice move to the basket down low)

Sylvester Spicer is athletic and with a lot of work could be a contributor - maybe. Jordan has not shown me much. Do not know anything about Budrikis.

That gives us a working lineup of 10 players. Sutton can use Lewis to help bang down low and Sango can come in for energy and defense. (If he could improve his jump shot and cut down on his fouls, I could see him starting over Yemi in situations.) He may also get a chance to run the point. I expect Allen to push for a job in the lineup too.... not sure if he can run the point, but it would be nice if he could.

Who knows - Kyron Stokes may be the next Ken Tutt and surprise(?) us all. Let's hope so...

OT - what do you know about Allen and Lewis to say that? Is that speculation or have you seen them play?

I've only seen them in practices and pick-up games, but here's why I think they will play:

1.  These guys are experienced at the D-1 level.

2.  You don't have D-1 guys transfer in, and then not play them.  That's bad for business (the "transfer" business).

3.  Though he is most often refered to as "Caleb's replacement", Lewis is really a different kind of player than Green.  He's got some really slick power moves down low, but can pop out for the mid-range jumpers, also.  Think Reggie Borges, just four inches taller and "??" inches wider.  Whether he's the passer, rebounder or defensive player that Caleb was, remains to be seen.

4.  Allen reminds me of Rawle Marshall in the way he comes straight at you from the top of the key or the wing, and either breaks you down, or pulls up for a jumper. He's really quick, and long.  He may not be the shooter Ken was, but what he brings to the floor in terms of size and explosiveness is unlike anyone we've had at ORU since Ken Trickey's days.

first time or second time?

Yes. :wink:

Say what you want about Trickey, but he had some athletes here - even during the NAIA years.

Well this should be fun....

G- Adam Liberty

G- Moses Ehambe

F- Yemi Ogunye

F- Marcus Lewis

C- Shawn King

6th man- Vealy

Ok... so here goes... I honestly believe that Chello is more confortable coming off the bench. I think the coaches see this too. This is why I think (at least for the first part of the season) he stays on the bench to start the game. He'll be able to come in for either Marcus or Shawn and provide help at either spot.

I really am excited to see Lewis play. He seems like he'll be a Shawn Hopes kind of guy. He seemed to give us fits this year using his size and soft touch. I've heard that Marcus has good footwork and can get to the basket.

I also agree with alot of people about Allen. I think he will be a serious candidate for the 2 spot. It all depends on how Mo plays. If he continues to play with confidence the role is his. He really stepped up his D this year and im sure it will get even better next year.

I think we'll see alot of the Sango/Yemi defense again next year. Its nice to have one of those guys always fresh to keep the other teams go to guard unhappy.

Im really excited about Jarvis and Stokes. Jarvis can put up numbers, and from what ive read he's tough on D. Nice combination. Kyron on the other hand sounds like he will be an exciting player. He's a tall guard that can get to the basket and shoot the ball. Sounds good to me. I think once he settles in to the speed of D1 (next year or the year after) he will be something special. You can quote me on that one.

Ive also heard that Budrikis can shoot the ball and moves well without the ball. I think he wont get significant minutes next year, but he will contribute when he does.

Who knows yet what tomorrow may bring?  Here's an example:

The ORU coaching staff just got a call from the father of a high school senior several states away.  The kid is a 6'-5" stud who's older brother is currently a well-known starter in the NBA.  He's already drawn interest from several BCS schools, but he and his family chose not to have him sign this past November, because they wanted to pray about his decision and sign this spring.  So all the kid does is go out his senior year and average 20+ points, while being named to several all-star teams.  And now his dad is calling us, saying he really wants him to come to ORU, and where should he send his "application"?!?

Now, with the roller coaster ride that is college recruiting, who knows if the kid will actually end up here or not (see:  Jeremy Hazell, Eduardo Najera, etc.), but that just shows the kind of attention and respect that ORU basketball is enjoying right now.  Players - GOOD players - along with their parents & coaches, are coming out of the woodwork, contacting ORU about playing here.  Don't be surprised by the number of new names on the roster next year, some of whom may be playing as walk-ons in their inaugural season.  No doubt we're going to have unprecedented depth, with a real battle for playing time for EVERYONE.

So keep the faith, folks - next year is going to be REALLY fun... :-D

I am also hearing rumblings of some pretty incredible recruiting possibilities.... they are just possibilities and lots can happen between now and then. But.... if these things happen - watch out.

(How's that for being vague?)

The transfer route has been good to us in the past, could be good to us in the future . . .

I started this thread to put me in a better mood and get excited for next year...

...while my curiousity is now off the radar and driving me nuts, I'd say mission accomplished.