***WESTERN GAME THREAD***

Old Titan

I noticed on the WIU website that they are doing a "white out" for this game.  I wonder how it looks in Macomb.

They kept talking about it on the TV broadcast, but honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.  I could still see the huge number of fans who "came dressed as empty seats" (tm Jon Rooney).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• Mike Minyard

• Texasgrip

• tmh8286

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure glad we hung on last night against #336 in D-I.  How would you explain a loss against the last place team in the nation??  I guess our winning up there helps make sure they stay in that place.

My question, Mike, is why aren't we forcing more.  I'd think with our good defense we would be forcing at least as many as we're making.  On the season we've committed 364, our opponents, 347.  This doesn't seem right for a strong defensive team.

Good defense doesn't mean you're causing turnovers.  It means you do a great job of staying between your man and the basket.  We're a good defensive team that gives up some penetration points.  We're very solid around the perimeter, but you'll notice that teams are clearing out for isolation plays.  It has been a weakness for several years.  Watson and the IUPUI guy had some of their best games against ORU.  You can watch Oklahoma State and watch them give up layups/dunks if the help defense is a step behind.  For us, the Oakland game was a prime example.  How many times did they catch it on the wing and just drive straight to the hoop?  We would probably cause more turnovers if our defense slid over and forced them to pick up their dribble or to make a skip pass.  I think we play some good defense most of the time, and sometimes we play fantastic defense.  Just watch the first five minutes against Oakland.  Our guys were pressuring the ball so much and causing turnovers.  It was fun to watch.  It may just be a personnel thing right now too.  We might not have the type of guys you need to cause turnovers.  Caleb and Ken have improved, but they aren't out there for defense.  Caleb is an amazing player when he is communicating and working hard on defense, but he doesn't do it every game.  The team really feeds off his energy when he comes to play.

Basically there isn't an answer out there for you tmh.  We're a good defensive team 80% of the time, and look awful the other part.  We don't have the most prolific offense either.  We're a very ugly team that finds ways to win.  Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  Reminds me of a Kelvin Sampson type team.  (Did I really just say that???)

They kept talking about it on the TV broadcast, but honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.  I could still see the huge number of fans who "came dressed as empty seats" (tm Jon Rooney).

The ORU-WIU game was on TV?

The ORU-WIU game was on TV?

All WIU home games are video streamed via their website.  This year they started charging for it.  I paid 10 bucks for a month's worth of access (watched the Valpo game that way instead of driving up there like I usually do).

Good defense doesn't mean you're causing turnovers.  It means you do a great job of staying between your man and the basket . . . 

Basically there isn't an answer out there for you tmh.  We're a good defensive team 80% of the time, and look awful the other part.  We don't have the most prolific offense either.  We're a very ugly team that finds ways to win.  Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  Reminds me of a Kelvin Sampson type team.  (Did I really just say that???)

Although intuitively it doesn't seem right, I'll have to concede this one to you, Mike.  Using stats available on Pomeroy, the Top Ten teams based on Defensive Efficiency (Defensive Efficiency[DE] = Points allowed / 100 possessions) are listed below; in parenthisis beside them is their raking in terms of defensive Turnover Percentage (TO% = TO / Possessions):

1)  Duke (106)                         

2)  North Carolina (126)           

3)  Kansas (29)                       

4)  UCLA (40)                         

5)  Texas A&M (39)                   

6)  Oklahoma (64)                   

7)  Southern California (124)   

8 ) Wisconsin (129)                   

9 ) Connecticut (131)                 

10) Memphis (66)               

While some of these teams are good at creating turnovers (Texas A&M ranked 39th) some are pretty poor (i.e. North Carolina at 126th).  On the other end, VMI is first in TO% (28.3), they rank 310th in Defensive Efficiency. 

There appears to be little corrolation between defensive efficiency and turnovers :|.