***WESTERN GAME THREAD***

Old Titan

Caleb fouled down low after another nice pass from Adam - Jackson (one of their better players) fouls out for WIU.

Caleb hits 2-2, timout ORU  --  ORU leads 63-55 with (I think) :45 to go

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• Mike Minyard

• Texasgrip

• tmh8286

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hopin' Caleb would get to 20.

Gettin closer...pretty good for not having one field goal in the first half...

Ken throws ball away against full court press... :x

Western scores another lay-up, no timeout called, Adam fouled bringing ball up.

Liberty goes 2-2 from the line -- ORU 65-59, :14 to go...

Rather than give up a three (I hope), Smith is fouled at :09

Smith 1-2, Caleb gets rebound, falls, called for traveling (!) at :07

A win is a win, but I really wanted to throttle 'em.  Nothing against WIU :-D

A burning question - if we played good defense, as Coach Sutton stated in the post-game interview (I'm not questioning that we did) WHY do we have 17 turnovers and Western Illinois have 11???  We FREQUENTLY have more turnovers than our opponents.  Aren't turnovers a DEFENSIVE stat?

For some reason our good defense doesn't seem to lead to turnovers.

Well you have to look at several things to judge a defense... mostly fg%.  TO's are hard to go off of because how many unforced to's do we commit each night?

Well you have to look at several things to judge a defense... mostly fg%.  TO's are hard to go off of because how many unforced to's do we commit each night?

My question, Mike, is why aren't we forcing more.  I'd think with our good defense we would be forcing at least as many as we're making.  On the season we've committed 364, our opponents, 347.  This doesn't seem right for a strong defensive team.

Scott has talked about how the team doesn't seem to have a killer instinct once we get ahead of an opponent that we should beat.

I'm simply happy with the win, but it seems like it's been a long time since we ran another D-1 opponent out of the gym with a 25-30 point win, whether home or away.

As a fan, of course you want to see that every game, which is unrealistic.  And in a few games where we had the opportunity, Scott will give the bench some extra playing time (Jordan/Spicer/Haynes), which is the right thing to do.

Are we not quite as good as we think we are, in other words, are we not capable of blowing a "lesser opponent" away, or does the team go into the "prevent defense", like ORUVoice mentioned, once we get up by double digits in the second half.  Clearly I think that happened at Valpo and probably cost us that game.

I remember back to some games during the Bill Self/Barry Hinson era when we put the pedal down on some teams and didn't let up.  I think we beat Texas Pan Am by around 40-50 points one game, and they weren't a horrible team that year.

Also wondering, did Marchello reinjure his groin during the Valpo game, or why didn't he play more.  It seemed like Sango got most of Chello's minutes during that game.