ORU v UMKC

Bogus Smith

The Eagles came out flat in both the first and second half.  There has been no fire or desperation all year.   The theme this year has been lack of interest for the most part from the team.  ORU has been outworked, out hustled, and out played all year.  Maybe Coach needs to bring in a whole new team next year and just start over.  I would be shocked if McBride wants to come back to this. 

The stat of the game: KC outscores ORU by 22 in the paint.  That has been the one constant all year: ORU dominated in the paint.

Today was the fewest points (54) scored by an ORU men's team in the Mabee Center since a 61-50 Southland Conference setback to Stephen F. Austin on January 12, 2013.

And, the last time ORU finished the regular season on a 7-game losing streak?

Try thirty years ago, in Bill Self's first season at the helm (and in Bill's defense, ORU was an independent coming back from the NAIA, and had to play the likes of Baylor, Western Kentucky, Texas A&M, Southern Illinois, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas, and SMU to close the year).

Doubt we'll see those nuggets and other marks of futility on social media any time soon...  🤢

• Upvote 3

This has been such a difficult season to understand as a fan. Without being with the coaches and players day in and day out it feels like being lost in the dark, not being able to pinpoint where we are and what is causing the problems. The only thing that is obvious is major changes will have to be made to get back to being competitive and playing for a conference championship. And it’s not like the winner of the Summit League this year has much of a chance of making noise in the Big Dance. This has been a down year for our conference with ORU being on the bottom of the pile.

• Upvote 5

I have 2 problems with today's complete embarrassment. The first is that that this team quit on their coach, watching the effort and the body language today HCRS; for whatever reason, has lost this team. The second problem I have and to me is completely unacceptable is that they quit on each other, the fact that the team played with no desire, no heart and no pride in the last home game of the year and on senior night to me is inexcusable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

The thing that is so frustating is I hear Coach in pregame talking about how they have been working on rebounding and passing the ball instead of one on one drives all the time.  Then in the game we see very little of this happening.  Where is the disconnect?  I do not think Coach is just telling us lies but somehow the guys are not getting it.

I still care a lot about ORU basketball and even at the bottom hope for the best. It may take a while to dig out of this hole.  It is hard to be patient and it may take 2 more years before Coach figures things out.  Mills took about 3 years to figure things out.  No one likes to be patient (including me) but trying to weather the storm

It looked like this season that the Summit League teams wanted revenge on the Eagles after the last few years.  They often punched ORU in the face and then the good guys just rolled over and played dead.  This seemed to surprise them game after game this year.  They were hunted this year and ORU could not handle it.

• Upvote 1

I admit that I'm not always great at staying on top of details, so I may have missed the anouncement, but was anyone on here aware that the seniors would be recognized before the game rather than after, as has been the case in the past? One of my sons arrived early enough to see the seniors honored, but arriving at our usual ten minutes or so before the game we missed it completely.

We always enjoy having the opportunity to honor the seniors individually, and were really disappointed not to have that chance yesterday. 

BTW, printed tickets had the game time as Sunday at 5:00 pm. Hopefully there weren't any folks misled by that. if I weren't on this board I could really imagine myself showing up at 4:45 and wondering why the parking lot was so empty!! Because it's a Sunday game, no doubt!😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I admit that I'm not always great at staying on top of details, so I may have missed the anouncement, but was anyone on here aware that the seniors would be recognized before the game rather than after, as has been the case in the past? One of my sons arrived early enough to see the seniors honored, but arriving at our usual ten minutes or so before the game we missed it completely.

We always enjoy having the opportunity to honor the seniors individually, and were really disappointed not to have that chance yesterday. 

I didn't know about it either. I arrived as they were finishing the ceremony. Very disappointed. It seems that there have been a lot of lapses in communication this season. I think that comes from having new people in new roles. And outgoing staff aren't able to participate in a smooth transition when it comes to downloading info on "this is how we do things."

I hope they'll put the video on social media so we can see it.

3 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I hope they'll put the video on social media so we can see it.

Great idea, if it was recorded.

17 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is hard to be patient and it may take 2 more years before Coach figures things out.  Mills took about 3 years to figure things out.

Mills came in to a much worse situation.

The only reason there is a hole to dig out of now is due to the way this season was mismanaged.

• Upvote 4

Absolutely correct Doc, Mills inherited a train wreck when he came to ORU whereas HCRS did not come into a new place/team, he only had to step up.  He  knew the players, their talents and their personalities when he stepped into the HC position.  Further, I think over the course of this year we did not get better but instead it looked more like a disaster happening in slow motion.  IMHO we regressed if anything and we got worse as the season progressed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

BTW, printed tickets had the game time as Sunday at 5:00 pm. Hopefully there weren't any folks misled by that. if I weren't on this board I could really imagine myself showing up at 4:45 and wondering why the parking lot was so empty!! Because it's a Sunday game, no doubt!😉

The same thing happened to me going to the women's game.  Senior night was BEFORE the game.   I was very disappointed to miss it.   So I was prepared for the men to be before the game.  They announced it at the dinner which helped some. I don't care when they have it if they would just let us know.  I think there is a much bigger crowd AFTER the game though.  

There was a women's game earlier this season that was played 2 hours earlier than what was on the ticket.  I met some people on the way up the escalator that were very surprised!  I know of at least 4 regulars that missed that game.

Communication has not been good.  When they announce the recognition of the seniors just add some info about the time.  And when a game time changes it should be blasted everywhere!!  

This staff seems good natured when you let them know these kind of things. (I didn't, unless they are listening😉).

• Like 1

Isaac McBride's mom often sits at the top of our section, and Mrs. TMH often says a few words to her as we're leaving. Such was the case on Sunday. We told her how much we appreciated Isaac, and hopefully she will pass those words of encouragement on to him.

• Like 1

Yeah he was really good in the last 7 games......but glad you guys get along with his mom.....🙄

12 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

and hopefully she will pass those words of encouragement on to him.

Unfortunately, I think Isaac will be getting many words of encouragement from places like Manhattan & Wichita KS., and others! He has to at least listen to other opportunities with the way this season went and the big questions for next season (a rebuilding year at best) as a kid with one year of eligibility left that will draw considerable interest. It probably didn't help the chances of him staying watching his old back court partner on ESPN a lot either.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Unfortunately, I think Isaac will be getting many words of encouragement from places like Manhattan & Wichita KS., and others! He has to at least listen to other opportunities with the way this season went and the big questions for next season (a rebuilding year at best) as a kid with one year of eligibility left that will draw considerable interest. It probably didn't help the chances of him staying watching his old back court partner on ESPN a lot either.  

He's also seen a good high school friend of his go from being our #2 guy to being nothing more than a practice squad member essentially

• Like 3

If Isaac wants to head to KSU or WSU....go for it....don't let the door hit you on the way out, pal.......nothing like being the MVP on an 11-20 team.....:hc_mills:

1 minute ago, theeagleman5 said:

If Isaac wants to head to KSU or WSU....go for it....don't let the door hit you on the way out, pal.......:hc_mills:

Be careful what you wish for Eagleman; without Isaac, Kareem and DJ next year, we may soon be calling an 11-19 season "the good old days"! 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Knowing that we won't be going to the Big Dance this year (unless we experience a string of miracles), which team are you rooting for? Max & Texas?

• Upvote 2