Around the Summit

Old Titan

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - "We don't get French benefits?" 

I sit corrected:  the use of the moniker CBS Sports NETWORK got me thinking "streaming".

If you say the game(s) will in fact be BROADCAST on the CBS Sports CHANNEL on cable, then it's not nearly as bad as streaming-only.

But it is, as Miracle Max might say, "Mostly bad".

ESPN and ESPN2, where the Summit League championship game has traditionally been BROADCAST, are standard fare on most basic cable packages.  Plus, most cord-cutters have a bundle that includes ESPN programming as well.

The CBS Sports CHANNEL, however, is typically only offered on expanded cable packages, along with such programming as ESPNU, ESPNNews, FSN2, The Big10 Channel, The ACC Network, etc.  Simply put, not as many cable subscribers get the CBS Sports CHANNEL, and if you don't have the (any) channel on your cable package, you can't stream it for free, either.

Which is where Doc Cornelius is spot-on:  ultimately, many fewer eyeballs nationally/globally/universally/etc. for the Summit League tournament games on the CBS Sports NETWORK.

But, in deference to your excited response re: my original erroneous post:  yes; that's still better than streaming-only.

In closing, so sorry to disappoint you with my previous post.  I have already gone back and edited the original post to highlight the error of my ways.

Meanwhile, I take comfort in the fact that trolls such as yourself are always lurking on ORUSports.com in the event I/we get anything wrong.  I guess your time spent perusing our posts re: ORU Basketball beats discussing this month's crop report on whatever passes as a fan forum in Grand Forks. 😉

Now, I'm gonna go get my hearing checked as suggested.

say it what GIF by Matt Crabbs

I'm not a troll.

41 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I'm not a troll.

Yeah, you pretty much are.

When you only post to contradict other points of view, without starting original conversations of your own, that makes you a troll.

Particularly when you do so on a rival's fan forum.

Case in point:  you sticking your nose into a thread on this forum a few month's ago and stating that "All you (ORU fans) do is bitch and whine."

That's textbook trolling.

Now, in fairness, if you had merely pointed out in a civil manner that I was mistaken regarding the streaming-vs-broadcast post, I wouldn't have any problem with that.  I would take my lumps - I WAS wrong.

But, when you preface your post by stating right off the bat that you can't believe how dumb I/we am/are, and that I need my hearing checked, that's different.

That's what trolls do... 🧌

(BTW, I heard Asst. Commisioner Powell just fine.  I simply misunderstood his terminology.  Kind of like when you order a roast beef sandwich in the Dakotas, and they bring it to you smothered in brown gravy and mashed potatoes.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Ok, I will chime in as well.  As for the CBS Sports platform, it is not included in standard cable packages.  At least in the mid-Atlantic/Northeast portion of the nation.  So, you have to purchase it which I do because I guess you could call me a college sports junkie and my wife indulges me because they have an occasional SEC game and she is an LSU grad with a couple degrees from that institution as well as her parents were on staff/faculty there (mom) and dad was deeply involved in the athletic department for many years after he left Bud Wilkinson's staff at Oklahoma.  I also get some MAC games on that platform.  Otherwise I would not pay the price to get it.  However, I realize that I am in the minority in having the CBS Sports package.  I should add that I do have and have had the complete ESPN package and have paid for the same for a long time.  I enjoy watching and will often surf through the ESPN games.  Needless to say I was deeply disappointed when the "new" SLN deal was announced on Midco, but yes, I bit the bullet and took out a subscription for that as well because it is the only way I can watch all of the ORU events.  I might add that the quality of the events streaming is poor at best and usually very unclear.  I use to get a better picture when it was just the ORU Network.  By going with Midco and the SLN platform the Summit took a serious step backward unless you happen to live in the Dakotas where the Midco brand is standard fare.  As I have stated previously on this Board, I can sit in my man cave and watch everything from the NEC to the SEC on the ESPN package but I can not watch anything on the Summit League unless their opponent is broadcasting the game,  How small minded can you get, not to mention it does nothing for branding the Summit on a national stage.  If anything it portrays the Summit as bush league.  Just my $.02.     

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Yeah, you pretty much are.

When you only post to contradict other points of view, without starting original conversations of your own, that makes you a troll.

Particularly when you do so on a rival's fan forum.

Case in point:  you sticking your nose into a thread on this forum a few month's ago and stating that "All you (ORU fans) do is bitch and whine."

That's textbook trolling.

Now, in fairness, if you had merely pointed out in a civil manner that I was mistaken regarding the streaming-vs-broadcast post, I wouldn't have any problem with that.  I would take my lumps - I WAS wrong.

But, when you preface your post by stating right off the bat that you can't believe how dumb I/we am/are, and that I need my hearing checked, that's different.

That's what trolls do... 🧌

(BTW, I heard Asst. Commisioner Powell just fine.  I simply misunderstood his terminology.  Kind of like when you order a roast beef sandwich in the Dakotas, and they bring it to you smothered in brown gravy and mashed potatoes.)

My first post in this thread was on topic and it didn't contradict anything you said.  And I actually agree with what you were saying...  I was just letting you know that there was a relevant interview with a Summit League rep that was just released, which covered the exact same topic as you were discussing, and I thought you might find it interesting.    

You then responded by posting a rant filled with a bunch of false statements.

I replied by contributing the objectively correct information (not points of view?), along with the source and specific time stamp.  After your post about something in which the Summit guy clearly didn't say, a little banter asking about your hearing should almost be expected - it was nothing more phatic speech.   

"without starting original conversations of your own," I first came here to see what your all thoughts were on St. Thomas joining the league, and what I found was ton of cynicism about the Summit League in general, whether it be about broadcasting, leadership, membership, the tournament, etc.  Some of it has been valid, but a lot of the discussion has also been based on a lack of information and misinformation.  I like the Summit League and think it has potential, so I have tried to add insight where I could, and I've tried to correct the information that I knew to be false.  I have also speculated about the future direction of the league, and a lot of what I've speculated about has actually happened.  Seeing the same (incorrect) crap being repeated again and again is why I eventually made a negative statement that I regret, but you're putting words in my mouth by claiming that I've straight up called you dumb.  

Edited by nodak651

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

My first post in this thread was on topic and it didn't contradict anything you said.  And I actually agree with what you were saying...  I was just letting you know that there was a relevant interview with a Summit League rep that was just released, which covered the exact same topic as you were discussing, and I thought you might find it interesting.    

You then responded by posting a rant filled with a bunch of false statements.

I replied by contributing the objectively correct information (not points of view?), along with the source and specific time stamp.  After your post about something in which the Summit guy clearly didn't say, a little banter asking about your hearing should almost be expected - it was nothing more phatic speech.   

"without starting original conversations of your own," I first came here to see what your all thoughts were on St. Thomas joining the league, and what I found was ton of cynicism about the Summit League in general, whether it be about broadcasting, leadership, membership, the tournament, etc.  Some of it has been valid, but a lot of the discussion has also been based on a lack of information and misinformation.  I like the Summit League and think it has potential, so I have tried to add insight where I could, and I've tried to correct the information that I knew to be false.  I have also speculated about the future direction of the league, and a lot of what I've speculated about has actually happened.  Seeing the same (incorrect) crap being repeated again and again is why I eventually made a negative statement that I regret, but you're putting words in my mouth by claiming that I've straight up called you dumb.  

I, for one, appreciated your clarification about the "streaming-only" and am glad that you feel welcome to review the content of this board and occasionally contribute. Don't let OT run you off, as his quick and cunning wit has been directed at each one of us many times over the years, and we still love him!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Don't let OT run you off, as his quick and cunning wit has been directed at each one of us many times over the years, and we still love him!  

It helps not knowing me that well. 😁

4 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Ok, I will chime in as well.  As for the CBS Sports platform, it is not included in standard cable packages.  At least in the mid-Atlantic/Northeast portion of the nation.  So, you have to purchase it which I do because I guess you could call me a college sports junkie and my wife indulges me because they have an occasional SEC game and she is an LSU grad with a couple of degrees from that institution as well as her parents were on staff/faculty there (mom) and dad was deeply involved in the athletic department for many years after he left Bud Wilkinson's staff at Oklahoma.  I also get some MAC games on that platform.  Otherwise I would not pay the price to get it.  However, I realize that I am in the minority in having the CBS Sports package.  I should add that I do have and have had the complete ESPN package and have paid for the same for a long time.  I enjoy watching and will often surf through the ESPN games.  Needless to say I was deeply disappointed when the "new" SLN deal was announced on Midco, but yes, I bit the bullet and took out a subscription for that as well because it is the only way I can watch all of the ORU events.  I might add that the quality of the events streaming is poor at best and usually very unclear.  I use to get a better picture when it was just the ORU Network.  By going with Midco and the SLN platform the Summit took a serious step backward unless you happen to live in the Dakotas where the Midco brand is standard fare.  As I have stated previously on this Board, I can sit in my man cave and watch everything from the NEC to the SEC on the ESPN package but I can not watch anything on the Summit League unless their opponent is broadcasting the game,  How small minded can you get, not to mention it does nothing for branding the Summit on a national stage.  If anything it portrays the Summit as bush league.  Just my $.02.     

THIS!!!  ^^^^^

Worth WAY more than two cents!  💰👏

17 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Don't let OT run you off, as his quick and cunning wit has been directed at each one of us many times over the years, and we still love him!  

Good post, Blue, but I was thinking - "love" is such a strong word . . . 😉

'

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

Good post, Blue, but I was thinking - "love" is such a strong word . . . 😉

'

Surprising sentiment coming from the ONLY visitor to bring me ice cream in the hospital - TWICE.

Nothing says love like a hot fudge sundae...😋

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

St. Thomas just tipped off at #7 Marquette on FS1.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Man, St. Thomas is gonna win a LOT of games in the Summit League this year.

58-54 Marquette, with under ten minutes to play.

The Tommies are not all that athletic, but they're talented (there's a difference), and they're really well-coached.

Their biggest problem is settling for WAY too many hurried threes (8-for-25 for 32%).

Surprised to see former Liberty fire ant Drake Dobbs, the splitting image of OU football's Drake Stoops, starting at point guard for the Tommies.  Like his doppleganger, he's a little pit bull.

Marquette hangs on, 84-79.  Tommies made it a one-to-two possession game for the final several minutes, but just couldn't draw even.

Add another game to the "Best Summit League Losses" list of ORU's games at Texas A&M, Kansas State and Texas Tech.

Not sure these near-misses aren't just as impressive as SDSU's neutral floor win over dubitable Wichita State.

• Like 1

Not sure these near-misses aren't just as impressive as SDSU's neutral floor win over dubitable Wichita State.

Had to look up the word dubitable… impressive! 😂

• Haha 3

Summit League enjoys some home cooking this year.  The teams at home are a combined 34-4 and two of those losses are by SDSU, which almost never loses at home.  It will be interesting to see how ORU, battle tested, does on the road in the Summit League.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

OK, I think Ozark Christian could beat these guys:

That is hilarious! Looks like we may have a new Homecoming opponent.     

I don’t think you could even win intramurals at the AC with that

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Old Titan said:

OK, I think Ozark Christian could beat these guys:

After watching that the obvious question that comes to mind is, how did NDSU only win by 94? Or, alternatively, how did Oak Hill Christian score 14?

• Haha 1