Around the Summit

Old Titan

I don’t think it’s a fear. I think it’s a “why even risk it” mentality. It makes zero sense. I’m sure you find yourself making the same rational decisions in everyday life. 

3 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I don’t think it’s a fear. I think it’s a “why even risk it” mentality. It makes zero sense. I’m sure you find yourself making the same rational decisions in everyday life. 

LOL - anyone who knows me would tell you that "rational" does not even make the list of words they might use to describe me. 

"Irrational" might though; particularly when it comes to engaging in pointless arguments on a college basketball fan forum.

Simply put, "Why Even Risk It?" is NOT exactly the sign I would want to see above the door of the ORU Basketball locker room.

I prefer this one:   #IYKYK

il_fullxfull.4523969069_qp1l.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Would love to… thanks for asking!

There are multiple divisions of NCAA sports (ie: Division I, Division II, Division III) as well as small college athletics governing bodies (ie: NAIA). 

D1 schools such as ORU are allowed to schedule no more than 4 Non-Division 1 games per season (some conferences have agreements in place to limit these contests). These games count towards D1 team’s win/loss record, but don’t count against the D1 team’s NET Rating. 

As you can imagine, the worst case scenario for these D1 schools and coaches when scheduling and playing these Non D1 games is actually losing the game. There is no need for the outcome of these games to be in jeopardy. In order to secure this most basic end-goal in mind (winning the game), coaches will choose to schedule the easiest competition that all but guarantees the only metric that counts (a check mark in the “win” column). 

Imagine you are in the Old West and are required to choose someone to duel on Main Street. The winner survives and the loser is getting buried by the undertaker the next morning. You already have 28 duels scheduled against competition that each have as quick of a quick-draw as you do. But you have the option to choose one to four cowboy(s) to duel that aren’t quite as fast as you are. You can choose someone who has such a slow draw that you all but guarantee yourself to survive. Or you can choose a cowboy that is much closer to your quick-draw speed, risking your life, simply because you want it to be a good show for the townspeople to watch. 

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you survive. Sure, the townspeople hanging around the saloon wish it was a better matchup, but do you yourself really care? Absolutely not. There’s plenty of opportunity to hone your sharpshooting skills against the 28 other cowboys coming down Main Street. 

I’m sure there are better illustrations to use, but I did want to answer my good friend @Old Titan before he thought any less of me than he already does! 

Until the NET Ratings punishes teams for scheduling these Non D1 teams, you will continue to see lopsided scores in November and December. 

Side Note: in the new world of the transfer portal, there are more “D1” players playing D2 than ever before. This phenomenon has created the smallest talent gap between D1 and D2 programs than ever before. Something to take note of when seeing how few number of D2 schools actually play against D1 schools. (Even fewer if you look at D2s vs Mid Major/Low Major D1 schools and take the High Major teams out). 

Somehow I feel dumber after reading this.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

When I think back to experiencing first-hand how giants in this program's early history - right up to President Oral Roberts himself - worked so tirelessly to schedule the best teams possible in order to build the ORU brand, it's shameful to consider that it's come to this:  squatting timidly on those proverbial shoulders to INTENTIONALLY schedule the East Popcorn States of the world, just for empty wins (that do nothing for the NCAA NET rankings).

#AnybodyAnywhereAnytime  #IronSharpensIron

Kind of timely - the reaching the summit pod had a Summit League staffer on their latest pod and they discuss scheduling and non D1 games, among other things.  The league apparently had a scheduling agreement in place with the Horizon League, but before it was officially announced, it ended up getting cancelled due to covid.  Sounds like they would still like to set up challenge series with other leagues. 

Edited by nodak651
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Wanting to run the score up even more with a 90-point lead reminds me of an infamous Woody Hayes quote.

When asked why he tried a 2-point conversion on the Buckeyes' last touchdown in a 50-14 rout of Michigan, Hayes snapped:

"Because I couldn't go for three." 

• Haha 1

The Dakotas scheduling like this is typical but embarrassing.

SDSU is playing a top 50 non conference this season but they usually do this too.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The Dakotas scheduling like this is typical but embarrassing.

SDSU is playing a top 50 non conference this season but they usually do this too.

We used to make fun of the Dakota schools for that kind of scheduling; can't do that anymore.

I always had a lot of respect for Greg Kampe at Oakland for taking the road less traveled:  no budget, no dedicated fan base, yet he would (and still does) play ANYBODY.

19 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Kind of timely - the reaching the summit pod had a Summit League staffer on their latest pod and they discuss scheduling and non D1 games, among other things.  The league apparently had a scheduling agreement in place with the Horizon League, but before it was officially announced, it ended up getting cancelled due to covid.  Sounds like they would still like to set up challenge series with other leagues. 

The league staffer, Assistant Commisioner for Communications Ryan Powell, also mentioned off-handedly that the Summit League tournament championship game will NOT be on broadcast television in its traditional Tuesday night slot of ESPN Championship Week; going forward the game will be streaming-only on the CBS Sports Network as part of the new broadcast package for the league.

Needless to say, this will kill the audience of casual viewers who traditionally get their first glimpse of Summit League play (and, of late, Max Abmas and ORU) in the championship game.  It won't be showing on a single TV in any bar, restaurant, hotel lobby, airport, etc.  Okay, MAYBE a Buffalo Wild Wings in Fargo, but that's about it.

The only people who will go to the trouble of streaming that game will be fans of the two schools involved, and a handful of die-hard college basketball media types and bloggers.

EDITOR'S NOTE :  The lined-out portions of the post above were WRONG!! (lol).  See explanation in following posts... 👀

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The league staffer, Assistant Commisioner for Communications Ryan Powell, also mentioned off-handedly that the Summit League tournament championship game will NOT be on broadcast television in its traditional Tuesday night slot of ESPN Championship Week; going forward the game will be streaming-only on the CBS Sports Network as part of the new broadcast package for the league.

Needless to say, this will kill the audience of casual viewers who traditionally get their first glimpse of Summit League play (and, of late, Max Abmas and ORU) in the championship game.  It won't be showing on a single TV in any bar, restaurant, hotel lobby, airport, etc.  Okay, MAYBE a Buffalo Wild Wings in Fargo, but that's about it.

The only people who will go to the trouble of streaming that game will be fans of the two schools involved, and a handful of die-hard college basketball media types and bloggers.

Great points - very unfortunate. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Needless to say, this will kill the audience of casual viewers who traditionally get their first glimpse of Summit League play (and, of late, Max Abmas and ORU) in the championship game.  It won't be showing on a single TV in any bar, restaurant, hotel lobby, airport, etc.

How often can the League keep shooting themselves in the foot like this.  They certainly need to have someone on staff that understands branding and the intangible benefits of a national audience on a national station.  Streaming services like Netflix, Apple +, Amazon, etc. are not national in nature and do not draw.  🤦‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

How often can the League keep shooting themselves in the foot like this.  They certainly need to have someone on staff that understands branding and the intangible benefits of a national audience on a national station.  Streaming services like Netflix, Apple +, Amazon, etc. are not national in nature and do not draw.  🤦‍♂️

Yeah, ask the Pac-12 how that proposed streaming deal with Apple worked out for them.

And when was the last time you (anyone?) remembered to tune into NFL Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime?

Streaming may be the wave of the future, but the future is not now if you can avoid it...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Old Titan said:

15 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Great points - very unfortunate. 

15 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

OMG, you guys crack me up sometimes!  Old Titan... I don't know what to say other than you're completely wrong (and you may need to get your hearing checked).  Streaming-only on CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) is a contradiction in and of itself - it's a national tv network.  He stated that this year, both the women's semi-finals and the finals will be on CBSSN, but on the men's side only the final will be on CBSSN (this year).

Moving forward, both men's and women's semi-finals and finals games will be aired on CBSSN.  That's 6 tournament games on national TV.  In prior years we had two.

Talk of streaming only is objectively false.  I promise you, Josh Fenton ("commissioner hockey") isn't as stupid as you all seem to think he is.

43:50 mark -> https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/todd-buckingham4/episodes/Some-Positive-Momentum-and-Summit-League-Assistant-Commissioner-Ryan-Powell-e2d4m71/a-a5g0os

Edited by nodak651

tried to embed directly to where they talk about but it didn't work - can't delete this post for some reason.

Edited by nodak651

49 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

OMG, you guys crack me up sometimes!  Old Titan... I don't know what to say other than you're completely wrong (and you may need to get your hearing checked).  Streaming-only on CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) is a contradiction in and of itself - it's a national tv network.  He stated that this year, both the women's semi-finals and the finals will be on CBSSN, but on the men's side only the final will be on CBSSN (this year).

Moving forward, both men's and women's semi-finals and finals games will be aired on CBSSN.  That's 6 tournament games on national TV.  In prior years we had two.

Talk of streaming only is objectively false.  I promise you, Josh Fenton ("commissioner hockey") isn't as stupid as you all seem to think he is.

43:50 mark -> https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/todd-buckingham4/episodes/Some-Positive-Momentum-and-Summit-League-Assistant-Commissioner-Ryan-Powell-e2d4m71/a-a5g0os

CBS Sports Network is a downgrade and extremely small time.

The league is now hiding the championship game on a network nobody watches.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

CBS Sports Network is a downgrade and extremely small time.

The league is now hiding the championship game on a network nobody watches.

That is an entirely separate issue that merits discussion, but when having that discussion, it is helpful when people have accurate information. 

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

LOL - "We don't get French benefits?" 

I sit corrected:  the use of the moniker CBS Sports NETWORK got me thinking "streaming".

If you say the game(s) will in fact be BROADCAST on the CBS Sports CHANNEL on cable, then it's not nearly as bad as streaming-only.

But it is, as Miracle Max might say, "Mostly bad".

ESPN and ESPN2, where the Summit League championship game has traditionally been BROADCAST, are standard fare on most basic cable packages.  Plus, most cord-cutters have a bundle that includes ESPN programming as well.

The CBS Sports CHANNEL, however, is typically only offered on expanded cable packages, along with such programming as ESPNU, ESPNNews, FSN2, The Big10 Channel, The ACC Network, etc.  Simply put, not as many cable subscribers get the CBS Sports CHANNEL, and if you don't have the (any) channel on your cable package, you can't stream it for free, either.

Which is where Doc Cornelius is spot-on:  ultimately, many fewer eyeballs nationally/globally/universally/etc. for the Summit League tournament games on the CBS Sports NETWORK.

But, in deference to your excited response re: my original erroneous post:  yes; that's still better than streaming-only.

In closing, so sorry to disappoint you with my previous post.  I have already gone back and edited the original post to highlight the error of my ways.

Meanwhile, I take comfort in the fact that trolls such as yourself are always lurking on ORUSports.com in the event I/we get anything wrong.  I guess your time spent perusing our posts re: ORU Basketball beats discussing this month's crop report on whatever passes as a fan forum in Grand Forks. 😉

Now, I'm gonna go get my hearing checked as suggested.

say it what GIF by Matt Crabbs

• Haha 2