• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• Mike Minyard

• ORUIsbig

• NYC Golden Eagle

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been down on this team for various reasons, but the reason why this team will end up being good is that defense.  This team can play solid team defense.  It isn't just one guy that is getting it done like LSG or Owens.  It's a team effort this year.

Guys this is a huge win against a solid program.  This is a big win as far as big wins in school history.  It has to go up there in the top whatever.  I don't know where, but Seton Hall is a very respectable Big East program.  They earned an at-large last year in the NCAA Tournament (stole it from Missouri State).  It's up there with the Georgetown win a couple years ago.  This Seton Hall team is better than the Georgetown team was in Hawaii. 

Scott Sutton did a great job coaching this one.  I loved the excitement in his voice in the post-game interview. 

Man, I'm excited to play BYU tomorrow.  They'll be tough, but it will be funner after tonight's win.

The first time or two I head Steve Cooper doing "color", I really didn't like him.  He was too dull and un-cororful.  I don't know if it is his improving on the radio or me getting used to him, but I'm really enjoying his commentary now.  Great job from the radio crew tonight!

The first time or two I head Steve Cooper doing "color", I really didn't like him.  He was too dull and un-cororful.  I don't know if it is his improving on the radio or me getting used to him, but I'm really enjoying his commentary now.  Great job from the radio crew tonight!

I felt the same way tmh, but he really does add to the broadcast.  He uses a lot of advanced coaching terms that really take it to the next level.  He is also good at predicting what will happen next.  I hope they keep him around, and it's really nice that he travels.

I was just on the SH message board, and fans over there seemed to be equally upset with the refs for the lop-sided foul calls, the coach for some of his coaching choices, and the players for poor clock use at the end of the game.  I'd agree on all three, if I were them.  

But as an ORU fan, I really LOVED those refs.  Best refs we've seen all season!

Ken and Caleb combined for 54 of our 76 points.  Not getting much production from the rest of the team.  Where would we be without them?  I'm sounding like AshVID!

Nice to see ORU on the other end of the officiating, the last couple games have been brutal. I have come to the conclusion that Liberty is not as fast as we think and is fouling when he plays quicker guards. Could be still adjusting to the speed of the D1 game but he should be further along. Hate to beat a dead horse here but Green/Tutt accounted for over 70% of the offense and 85% of the FT attempts. ORU will go as far as those two will take them this year...

ash  =o)

ashVID, Liberty was the starting PG for D1 Wichita State before transferring to ORU.  He was off a redshirt year because of the transfer, but he should be accustomed to playing at the D1 pace. 

Fans on their message board regarded him pretty highly at the time of the transfer.

Haynes hasn't played, and Jordan and Spicer have played about a minute each.  We are also playing without Moses Ehambe.  Ken is the only player that has shot a three (1-5).   Can you believe Ken is 1-5 from the free throw line?  I don't think we want Jordan running the point for us.  We're better off to put Ken at the point position.  Look for ORU to play just six players the rest of the way, and Sango/Yemi will be subbed in/out for each other.  We might be better off to put Sango at point instead of Jordan.  The coaches would have played Jordan by now if they thought he could handle it.

Haynes DID play in the first half.  He had an offensive foul (without the ball) and then lost his guy on the defensive end.  I'm not sure why he was in there.  He must practice well.

Glad to get this game on a neutral court - we never would have won this game at their place.  This was a big win for our program, as I was very concerned about the possibility of coming out of this weekend 0-3.  BYU rarely loses at home (they just beat Liberty by 14), and our seven man rotation is going to be exhausted on Saturday after three games in 50 hours at over 4500 ft. altitude.  So, we now have a good shot at 2-1... and who knows about tomorrow?!?

Now, maybe I'm just feeling surly... as I was supposed to be in Provo this week with my family, but a big project at work blew up Wednesday afternoon and the project manager (Me!) cancelled our trip (talk about incompetent management! :roll:). Then, the radio feed wouldn't work, and I had to listen to the Seton Hall broadcast (they were actually pretty decent and balanced).  But, I have some real questions about this game...

1) How can we out rebound the opponents 35-28, shoot 54% to their 47%, have 24 more free throw attempts... and win by 2!!!  Actually, I know the answer to this one - 20 turnovers, 59% FT, and Seton Hall's 41% from beyond the arc.  So, I guess the real questions are... what happened at the line, why can't we hold onto to the ball, and why do we leave them open beyond the arc?  The free throw situation is curious, as we've proven to be better throughout the season - but the turnover issue and defensive intensity appear to be consistent themes.

2) Where did Shawn King disappear to?  After a solid first five minutes, he vanished...

3) What's the situation with Moses Ehambe?  Did he make the trip?  We will need him to allow others a breather (and hit a few threes) f we're going to contend in the next two games.

4) As much as I appreciate our coaching staff, I have to question some decision-making.  With 9 minutes left, Gaines fouls out, leaving Seton Hall without their two inside scoring threats - Gaines and Billmeier.  The Seton Hall broadcasters both lament the fact that "the Pirates are going to have a hard time scoring now... and will have to do it from the outside".... and ORU switches to a zone defense!  Of all the times in recent years that we have pleaded our team to play a zone... and then we shift to it in this situation???  I was listening to the game shaking my head as the Pirates complete a 7-0 run and nearly seal the game before we return to the man-to-man.  Am I missing something here???

5) Liberty is going to win some games for us, and his time on the bench is going to lose some games for us.  He received his final three fouls in less than one minute of playing time.  Ouch!  Is Ashvid correct - is he too slow to defend without fouling?

6) A couple of other interesting notes from the box score - Caleb Green - 0 assists; ORU team -  5 3-pt attempts.  How long has it been since we've hit those numbers (and won)?

Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled for the win - and if I had been there in Provo, I'm sure I'd be giving you all a thorough recap of the great win... but after spending the evening pacing the floor, I don't know if I've ever been so frustrated after such a significant victory.  Any answers/comments to my questions would be appreciated!

Hey Blue - sorry you guys missed out on the trip to Provo.  Don't you just hate being responsible?   It really stinks. 

I don't know that I can answer all of your questions, but I'll respond with a few observations of my own.  To start with, who knows what happens to teams with free throws?  We are normally a pretty good free throw shooting team.  Ken and Caleb are normally two of our best free throw shooters.  But last night they struggled at the line.  The guy that can figure out what turns shooting ability at the line on and off will be a rich man.  In spite of their struggles shooting free throws, Ken and Caleb combined for 54 points last night, as I pointed out elsewhere.  Probably can't say it was a lack of effort or concentration on their part.  Thankfully, it's not a problem we see every game.

Some of your questions were discussed by the ORU radio crew, or at least were mentioned.  One of the things they said about both King and Yemi was that they were absolutely no offensive threat at all, so their men were sagging off of them and doubling up on Caleb.  I assume that that, and in King's case, maybe some trouble keeping up on defense, was why they didn't play him more.

Moses didn't play because he had food poisoning.  I think they said they took him to an urgent care clinic about game time.  They said he'd be okay, but had been sick all day.  There's been a stomach bug going around out here that's hit nearly everyone in my office but me - hope he doesn't have that, or he'll be out for the whole tournament.

I can't really respond to your question about the reasoning for the zone defense - I don't remember our radio guys mentioning it.  With a really short lineup I don't know if they were trying to give our guys a rest or what.  I do know that Steve Cooper mentioned several times how exhausted our players looked, and that they would have to suck it up and play hard the last few minutes of the game if they were going to win it.

I think everyone is in a quandary about Liberty - I don't really know what's going on with him.  I hope he gets it together soon.  He was known as an in-your-face defender at WSU - seems unlikely that he could have that reputation up there but be too slow to do the same now.  I really don't know what the problem is.

That was a strange game last night in a number of ways.  Ogunoye had more assists than our point guard, Liberty.  I think you could pick out a number of strange stats from the box score.  But I think the bigger picture is that that was a come-from-behind win, that our guys didn't give up with they really could have, that they got some great defensive stops at the end that, even when they had the chance to shoot free throws to take the lead and missed four in a row, the defense of an exhausted team prevented Seton Hall from scoring at the other end, and at the end Caleb hit the free throws that counted.

Seton Hall is a good team - not spectacularly good, but a Big East team with a solid reputation.  To be able to beat them in spite of the challenges we faced last night, in my opinion, was a great accomplishment.  Under more desirable circumstances, such as better free throw shooting, we win that game going away.  But sometimes things don't go the way you hope.  Like when big projects blow up and travel plans are canceled!  Personally, I see more positives coming from last night than negatives.

One brief note of interest - Danny Sheridan's odds had Seton Hall by 2.  Tony Mejia of CBS picked ORU 81-74.

Had we hit ft's, Mejia would have been about right on the money.  He got the SH score dead on.