How to Watch (2023-24 Season) Updated 1/4/24

Otis 83

16 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Thanks for the response Nodak and your explanation.  One of my concerns with Midco is that it is a small regional provider at best covering mainly the Dakotas and a little in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Kansas.  However, neither Denver, Tulsa, Omaha or St. Paul are in that geographical footprint.  Hence, without signing up for the Midco/SL package I can not watch anything ORU and the same goes for Denver, Omaha and St. Thomas fans.  For about the same amount of $$ it costs me to get the Midco/SL package I can signup for the entire ESPN package and watch anything from the SEC to the NEC.  On any given day I can watch all sports from such major conferences as the ASun, Metro Atlantic Athletic, American East, Big South, Ohio Valley, SoCon, MVC or Horizon League.  I also will add that those broadcasts are much clearer to watch with no technical difficulties.   For a university like ORU, our alumni and therefore fans are literally not only in all 50 states but also around the world.  That is the nature of our university.  Thus a small regional provider which is unavailable to us unless you specifically signup for the app and pay the fees really does us no good.  By extension I would add that unless one is a Summit League fan or alum of one of its member institutions, that person will not signup for the app or pay the fees.  Further, none of the Summit League games are being watched in any establishments in this country unless they happen to be in the Dakotas.  Therefore the Summit League is doing very little if anything to expand its footprint or market itself to the world.  Finally and for the record, I did signup for the app and paid for an entire year because that apparently is the only way I can now watch ORU from 1,000 miles away. 

This ^^^^ and this ^^^^ and this ^^^^ and this ^^^^

Of course someone from the Dakotas is a fan of MIDCO; the network caters to them as viewers.

Pure and simple, MIDCO couldn't care less about programming featuring Summit schools outside their network footprint, other than those schools filling the role of "Washington Generals" to their Dakota "Harlem Globetrotters":  Shut Up, Show Up, and Be Sure To Lose.

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry, I'm not a Bison fan.  They work for WDAY, not Midco, FYI.

You're making a lot of assumptions here... I know the comparison is apples and lemons.  ESPN doesn't care at all about small conferences and they aren't interested in broadcasting their (our) games.  They never discuss the Summit League on any of their programming.  They don't value us or pay a fair amount for streaming rights.  Streaming for Midco is new, and there are issues and there's tons of room for improvement, I get that.  The reason I have been supportive is because they have been a TV partner with UND for nearly ten years now, and they have always had quality productions, quality cameras, quality play by play, they produce ancillary programming, and they actually promote the Summit League.  They actually try and their success is tied to the success of the Summit League.  If their streaming platform loses the Summit League, that will be a huge deal for them.  Basically, if they are able to grow the steaming platform the same way that they have grown the sports network, I think that will be better for the League as whole in the long run.  And currently, it gives the league the ability to generate more revenue than any deal with ESPN would have - I doubt ESPN would have paid the SL anything meaningful at all, or broadcast more than a  game or two on ESPNU during the regular season.  We never saw ESPN care enough to broadcast SL quarterfinal or semi final M and W basketball playoff games or any of the other league championships either.  Also, Fenton has previously stated that the league needs a deal like the one with Midco in order to generate leverage for future negotiations with a company like ESPN, when the current contract expires.  The current contract allows the league to gather viewership/revenue data that it can bring to the table when negotiating the next media deal, and it's also another option for the league, which is important for many reasons which I think are probably obvious.

If the SLN is so important to Midco then why won’t they respond to my emails and tweets about their delay in posting SL replays?  Why have they not addressed the problem after me bringing it to their attention consistently for weeks?  

You claim no association or vested interest but also suggest you know a lot of the details of the arrangement and the economics of the deal. As my teenagers would say “that’s sus!”

ESPN may not care but they post a replay within the hour of a game’s conclusion thus giving their paying customers a good experience. 

Plus 1 to ORU82’s comments on the additional value we fans would get from an ESPN deal. Commissioner Hockey talks a lot about the fans but from my perspective the only entity getting value from this arrangement is the league and the fans in the Dakotas whose games have always been behind a paywall. 

Yes at 4:00 pm central time today ORU and Omaha still isn’t available but Tea Area vs SF Christian is. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ORU82 said:

And on a side note, any chance of getting Logan Campbell to join the ORU sports broadcasting team as a side kick to Adam?  Asking for a friend.  🙂

I figured I’d draw somebody offsides but I had my money on @theeagleman5 🤣

• Haha 2

I guess I beat him to it.  Normally I do not do tasteless or tacky.  😉

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

I guess I beat him to it.  Normally I do not do tasteless or tacky.  😉

Don’t be too hard on yourself. I don’t think you were either. 

On the subject of replays, I reached out to a contact I have in the athletic department and described the issues.  He connected me with another person in the AD's office who deals with the SLN.  I'm going to keep them apprised of any improvement...or not.  

If anyone on the board is having trouble with the SLN/MidCo let me know and I'll be happy to pass it along.  Alternatively you can send me a PM and I'll share the contact.

@ORU82 I don't plan to make a request for Logan Campbell to join Adam LOL but surely there is someone who would actually contribute to the broadcast unlike our current "color commentator."

3 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

I don't plan to make a request for Logan Campbell to join Adam LOL but surely there is someone who would actually contribute to the broadcast unlike our current "color commentator."

He's tan...he's rested...he's ready!

120124064852-richard-roberts.jpeg.ced2ce4c2b590a2f7a5fff7948745aff.jpeg

(OK, OK, OK - he's neither tan NOR ready; but he should at least be rested by now! (as opposed to ah-rested, as shown here) 🫣

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He's tan...he's rested...he's ready!

120124064852-richard-roberts.jpeg.ced2ce4c2b590a2f7a5fff7948745aff.jpeg

(OK, OK, OK - he's neither tan NOR ready; but he should at least be rested by now! (as opposed to ah-rested, as shown here) 🫣

Little boat, little boat....your twice mine.

Wonder how many Jack and Cokes he had that night???....The Man had some great quotes....like "who fouled this ball off my BMW???".....and after a big ORU basketball loss...."is this what i am getting for my money???".......also guessing he had some choice unprintable words for his wife when he saw her monthly Chico's bill....😛

And how many times did @Old Titan @ORU82 @TrueBlue82 and others from that era hear him say "I went to a state school outside of the state of Oklahoma?"

My dad had a great line, actually he had 100s of them, but the one that comes to mind is "What happened to that agreement that he'd do the singing and Oral would do the preaching?"

• Haha 4

Back to watching games, there was a noticeable improvement in the quality of the stream on my Roku enabled smart tv on Saturday night.  I mentioned this in an email to Jarrett Hardwick who told me that there has been a lot of effort this season to improve the quality of the stream and that there was a breakthrough last week.  I thanked him for his efforts.  They are still working on it so perhaps will see additional improvement as this season unfolds.

So if you have been watching on your phone because the pixelation on your TV was driving you crazy give your Roku, Firestick, etc. another try.

3 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Back to watching games, there was a noticeable improvement in the quality of the stream on my Roku enabled smart tv on Saturday night.  I mentioned this in an email to Jarrett Hardwick who told me that there has been a lot of effort this season to improve the quality of the stream and that there was a breakthrough last week.  I thanked him for his efforts.  They are still working on it so perhaps will see additional improvement as this season unfolds.

So if you have been watching on your phone because the pixelation on your TV was driving you crazy give your Roku, Firestick, etc. another try.

I'm surprised he had any time Saturday to think about the broadcast, since he spent the entire game at the scorer's table smack dab in the middle of whatever was causing so many officials' reviews...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I'm surprised he had any time Saturday to think about the broadcast, since he spent the entire game at the scorer's table smack dab in the middle of whatever was causing so many officials' reviews...

He mentioned that he noticed an improvement on his "personal device in game" so maybe he was using his tablet to sort out whatever that nonsense was.  I was surprised he had time to email me back 13 minutes after he received my email today!

The improvement was also noticeable on my Apple device using the MidCo sports app.

• Dr. Cornelius unpinned this topic