How to Watch (2023-24 Season) Updated 1/4/24

Otis 83

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Meh, at the end of the day, the goal is to get more paying subscribers.   Pretty sure the league gets a payout depending on how much streaming revenue they generate, so I'm all for it.  

Not sure which is more sad:  that anyone would think I'm actually looking for a refund for two nights of streaming, or that I wouldn't understand why they're doing the promotion in the first place.  #TheyCallMeRhetorical

(In all seriousness:  it's shocking - "shocking, I say!" - that they chose to do this promotion when so many of the Dakota schools have road games this week.  Now THAT is what I call doing their Midco viewers a solid! #smh)

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Not sure which is more sad:  that anyone would think I'm actually looking for a refund for two nights of streaming, or that I wouldn't understand why they're doing the promotion in the first place.  #TheyCallMeRhetorical

(In all seriousness:  it's shocking - "shocking, I say!" - that they chose to do this promotion when so many of the Dakota schools have road games this week.  Now THAT is what I call doing their Midco viewers a solid! #smh)

If you understand why they are doing it then I don't understand how you're upset?
I guess assuming ignorance is better than the alternative.  This you Old Titan?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by nodak651

On 1/22/2024 at 9:25 PM, nodak651 said:

If you understand why they are doing it then I don't understand how you're upset?
I guess assuming ignorance is better than the alternative.  This you Old Titan?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The only reason I can think of as to why you post so often on our board on this topic is that you work for MidCo or you’re dating someone who works at MidCo. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

The only reason I can think of as to why you post so often on our board on this topic is that you work for MidCo or you’re dating someone who works at MidCo. 

Or both of the other guys on "SiouxSports" (sic) are busy putting out round bales before the next blizzard.

Winter Solstice Snow GIF

15 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Because echo chambers are boring and there isn't a Summit League message board.  I like Midco but I don't work for them.. just thought you guys might be interested in knowing about the free games, for those who don't subscribe.  I want Midco to be successful so that they can improve their streaming service (the user interface sucks and they don't have split screen like NCHC.TV does).  I also hate ESPN.

Edited by nodak651
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Because echo chambers are boring and there isn't a Summit League message board.  I like Midco but I don't work for them.. just thought you guys might be interested in knowing about the free games, for those who don't subscribe.  I want Midco to be successful so that they can improve their streaming service (the user interface sucks and they don't have split screen like NCHC.TV does).  I also hate ESPN.

With all due respect your more recent posts have gone beyond information sharing and look like someone with a vested interest but I will take you at your word.  Are you sure this isn't you in this selfie with Logan Campbell?

image.png.dd05e904c273c82e30d084b8b3d6005d.png

After directing us to that great video on the history of the Mabee Center I think we should give him a break!! 😉

(Assuming nodak651 is a he . . .)

26 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

After directing us to that great video on the history of the Mabee Center I think we should give him a break!! 😉

(Assuming nodak651 is a he . . .)

Not really in my DNA 🤣 but I'll take your suggestion under advisement.  I thought my selfie was a complement...assuming they are a he!

• Like 1

Anyone know what’s the deal/agreement with radio coverage? Tuned into 99.9 tonight on the way home and nothing

I am not sure where Nodak was going with the "I hate ESPN" comment, but if it is trying to compare Midco with 
ESPN then I would advise Nodak to put down the crack bowl, quit eating the herbal brownies and back away from the liquor cabinet before posting.  Midco is not even in the same discussion as ESPN.  Granted ESPN has its faults but to suggest that Midco is somehow comparable to ESPN makes for a good laugh.  Apples to lemons my friend.  And on a side note, any chance of getting Logan Campbell to join the ORU sports broadcasting team as a side kick to Adam?  Asking for a friend.  🙂

Yes that was strange that there was not a radio broadcast on 99.9 FM tonight.  There has been for I think every other game this season.

My latest adventure with the MidCo network: About 9:15 AM I tried to watch last night's men's game against Omaha - It was not yet available, but the women's game at Omaha was. When I started the women's game, I had to crank the volume to maximum. The video was jerky, almost like slow motion. It started out about 10 seconds behind the audio and continued to lose ground. By half-time the video was about 2 minutes behind the audio. Somebody needs to do something about the MidCo fiasco.

Edited by Dave Connor
Typo: the video was behind the audio

1 hour ago, ORUJason said:

Yes that was strange that there was not a radio broadcast on 99.9 FM tonight.  There has been for I think every other game this season.

Does anyone know if the problem is with ORU, or with 99.9 FM?

I caught the post game on 97.1. Not sure why it was on that station. 

22 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

With all due respect your more recent posts have gone beyond information sharing and look like someone with a vested interest but I will take you at your word.  Are you sure this isn't you in this selfie with Logan Campbell?

image.png.dd05e904c273c82e30d084b8b3d6005d.png

Sorry, I'm not a Bison fan.  They work for WDAY, not Midco, FYI.

16 hours ago, ORU82 said:

I am not sure where Nodak was going with the "I hate ESPN" comment, but if it is trying to compare Midco with 
ESPN then I would advise Nodak to put down the crack bowl, quit eating the herbal brownies and back away from the liquor cabinet before posting.  Midco is not even in the same discussion as ESPN.  Granted ESPN has its faults but to suggest that Midco is somehow comparable to ESPN makes for a good laugh.  Apples to lemons my friend.  And on a side note, any chance of getting Logan Campbell to join the ORU sports broadcasting team as a side kick to Adam?  Asking for a friend.  🙂

You're making a lot of assumptions here... I know the comparison is apples and lemons.  ESPN doesn't care at all about small conferences and they aren't interested in broadcasting their (our) games.  They never discuss the Summit League on any of their programming.  They don't value us or pay a fair amount for streaming rights.  Streaming for Midco is new, and there are issues and there's tons of room for improvement, I get that.  The reason I have been supportive is because they have been a TV partner with UND for nearly ten years now, and they have always had quality productions, quality cameras, quality play by play, they produce ancillary programming, and they actually promote the Summit League.  They actually try and their success is tied to the success of the Summit League.  If their streaming platform loses the Summit League, that will be a huge deal for them.  Basically, if they are able to grow the steaming platform the same way that they have grown the sports network, I think that will be better for the League as whole in the long run.  And currently, it gives the league the ability to generate more revenue than any deal with ESPN would have - I doubt ESPN would have paid the SL anything meaningful at all, or broadcast more than a  game or two on ESPNU during the regular season.  We never saw ESPN care enough to broadcast SL quarterfinal or semi final M and W basketball playoff games or any of the other league championships either.  Also, Fenton has previously stated that the league needs a deal like the one with Midco in order to generate leverage for future negotiations with a company like ESPN, when the current contract expires.  The current contract allows the league to gather viewership/revenue data that it can bring to the table when negotiating the next media deal, and it's also another option for the league, which is important for many reasons which I think are probably obvious.

Edited by nodak651

58 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry, I'm not a Bison fan.  They work for WDAY, not Midco, FYI.

You're making a lot of assumptions here... I know the comparison is apples and lemons.  ESPN doesn't care at all about small conferences and they aren't interested in broadcasting their (our) games.  They never discuss the Summit League on any of their programming.  They don't value us or pay a fair amount for streaming rights.  Streaming for Midco is new, and there are issues and there's tons of room for improvement, I get that.  The reason I have been supportive is because they have been a TV partner with UND for nearly ten years now, and they have always had quality productions, quality cameras, quality play by play, they produce ancillary programming, and they actually promote the Summit League.  They actually try and their success is tied to the success of the Summit League.  If their streaming platform loses the Summit League, that will be a huge deal for them.  Basically, if they are able to grow the steaming platform the same way that they have grown the sports network, I think that will be better for the League as whole in the long run.  And currently, it gives the league the ability to generate more revenue than any deal with ESPN would have - I doubt the league would have paid the SL anything at all, or broadcast more than a game or two on ESPNU.  We never saw ESPN care enough to broadcast SL quarterfinal or semi final M and W basketball playoff games or any of the other league championships either.  Also, Fenton has previously stated that the league needs a deal like the one with Midco in order to generate leverage for future negotiations with a company like ESPN, when the current contract expires.  The current contract allows the league to gather viewership/revenue data that it can bring to the table when negotiating the next media deal, and it's also another option for the league, which is important for many reasons which I think are probably obvious.

I actually really like the midco Roku app. It’s worked really well every time I’ve tried it. Also, I have been impressed with the quality of the broadcasts (I watched the Denver game and the North Dakota game). The broadcast quality is very comparable to the quality of the Montana State broadcast that was on ESPN+. For me, the only advantage of ESPN+ is convenience. However, I haven’t ever tried to watch a game the next day, or tried to watch a coaches show. 

Thanks for the response Nodak and your explanation.  One of my concerns with Midco is that it is a small regional provider at best covering mainly the Dakotas and a little in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Kansas.  However, neither Denver, Tulsa, Omaha or St. Paul are in that geographical footprint.  Hence, without signing up for the Midco/SL package I can not watch anything ORU and the same goes for Denver, Omaha and St. Thomas fans.  For about the same amount of $$ it costs me to get the Midco/SL package I can signup for the entire ESPN package and watch anything from the SEC to the NEC.  On any given day I can watch all sports from such major conferences as the ASun, Metro Atlantic Athletic, American East, Big South, Ohio Valley, SoCon, MVC or Horizon League.  I also will add that those broadcasts are much clearer to watch with no technical difficulties.   For a university like ORU, our alumni and therefore fans are literally not only in all 50 states but also around the world.  That is the nature of our university.  Thus a small regional provider which is unavailable to us unless you specifically signup for the app and pay the fees really does us no good.  By extension I would add that unless one is a Summit League fan or alum of one of its member institutions, that person will not signup for the app or pay the fees.  Further, none of the Summit League games are being watched in any establishments in this country unless they happen to be in the Dakotas.  Therefore the Summit League is doing very little if anything to expand its footprint or market itself to the world.  Finally and for the record, I did signup for the app and paid for an entire year because that apparently is the only way I can now watch ORU because I live approximately 1,000 miles away from Tulsa. 

• Upvote 2