ORU @ Missouri St. Bears - 11/13/23

Dr. Cornelius

After the past few seasons where we have been eating good filets it feels so far this season we are eating spam! It is actually hard to find a bright spot right now. I keep telling myself we have 2 seasons, now and March. Hopefully we will drastically improve and be a different team in a couple of months, preferably sooner. 

• Upvote 2

Bright side????? That's for losers! These guys need to wake up fast. Texas A&M awaits in 4 days.....😬

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Bright side????? That's for losers! These guys need to wake up fast. Texas A&M awaits in 4 days.....😬

I wouldn't hold your breath for that one.

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

I love you Eagleman

signed Loser

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

ORU has now played two of the ten games that were called “toss-up” games in the pre-season, and lost both.  They have also played one of the “sure win” games, and barely survived.  

The next “toss-up” game isn’t until after Christmas (UMKC on 12/29), so the next eight games are four “sure losses” on the road and four “sure wins” at home.  I hope that we can learn from the road games, and avoid getting totally blown out, but I think at least three 20+ point losses are likely in ORU’s future.

The real near-term test for this team will be to secure the four home wins. I’m still pretty confident in home wins over Texas Southern and the two NAIA teams, as a loss in any one of those games would be devastating.  But, the December 2 Mayor’s Cup against Tulsa is now a coin flip - and I didn’t think that was possible a few weeks ago. 

ORU definitely has a lot of challenges to work through between now and the Summit opener.  Unfortunately, a record of 5-6 at Christmas Break is probably a best case scenario. 😳

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

There are no words...

(Actually, I have hundreds of them, but I guess I'm supposed to keep them to myself until February or March when everything comes together.) 🙄

I have so much free real estate inside Old Titan’s head it’s almost painful. Obviously youre taking a jab at my earlier comment about being patient which is fine. You can choose what lens you view the season through.

The number of players on this team with little to zero experience is pretty alarming. And the fact that it comes the season immediately following a team which had an older average age than some NBA teams makes the gap seem even bigger.

Between Miller, Herron, Moore, Jones, Bedford and Amboree, there is less than 600 combined minutes played in their college careers. It’ll take time. Just have to trend the right way throughout the season!

• Upvote 1

I did not see the game for various reasons but based on the box score ORU started 4 guards and DJ at the 5.  Miller started in Jones's place.  How did the group like that change for Coach Springmann?  

10 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

On the bright side, we were 8 for 9 from the line tonight. 

No, McBride was 8 for 9 from the line tonight.  No one else showed up to the free throw line.

9 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

No, McBride was 8 for 9 from the line tonight.  No one else showed up to the free throw line.

I'm aware, read the box score before I made the post.  It was a poor attempt at humor.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I have so much free real estate inside Old Titan’s head it’s almost painful. Obviously youre taking a jab at my earlier comment about being patient which is fine. You can choose what lens you view the season through.

The number of players on this team with little to zero experience is pretty alarming. And the fact that it comes the season immediately following a team which had an older average age than some NBA teams makes the gap seem even bigger.

Between Miller, Herron, Moore, Jones, Bedford and Amboree, there is less than 600 combined minutes played in their college careers. It’ll take time. Just have to trend the right way throughout the season!

"Patience" is one thing.

Whistling through the graveyard is quite another.

Please advise when this "trending the right way" is scheduled to launch; I'll check back with you at that time.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Time for Thompson to graduate. Seen enough of him....what is he on the 9 year plan??...MSU is gonna blow us out....🤮

Good solid role player. Unfortunately the role they are asking for now is probably above his skill level and maybe asking too much. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

This ORU team will look much different in February than they look now. They need game experience playing with each other. The line on the graph of improvement is never a straight line, but as long as it trends in the right direction and the peak of that line is in the month of March, anything can happen. 
People forget the 2020-21 Sweet Sixteen team was 9-8 on the season in early February. 

Well they will get plenty of game experience that is for sure. 

That team in 2020-21 had 2 players that are or were Big 12 starters and one of which was a 2 time conference player of the year. Those are really high level type of guys and very hard to find. 

Hopefully the young guys find their footing and end up with a decent season.  

TheEagleman expected a rough start to the season...still when it happens the pain is hard to take especially after 30-6 last year....I promise to be patient with this group and ease off on Thompson who is a solid guy and leadership off the charts....I love Otis my man....he is no loser....let's hope ORU can get the kinks worked out before TU in December....GO BLUE!!!🤩

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Please advise when this "trending the right way" is scheduled to launch; I'll check back with you at that time.

At this point it looks like a successful season would be finishing above 5th in the Summit.

Phipps being the leading rebounder is very telling to me. Trey is 4-6" shorter than his teammates but he's just trying harder.

This team doesn't have the talent level to give 50% or even 90% effort and be competitive in D1.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Kinks....my late father and I were riding in his car about 40-45 years ago and the song Lola by the Kinks came on the radio...my dad was early 50s at the time and he says....I really like that song....I asked him if he knew what it was about and he said No....I just shook my head and chuckled.😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are starting to see why Mills left for WSU.  He knew it would be a rebuilding and challenging time for ORU after Max and Connor left.  Coach Springmann will earn his paycheck this season.  I look for him to tinker with lineups and style of play to help the team find that rhythm this year.  He is learning too.

• Upvote 4