ORU @ Missouri St. Bears - 11/13/23

Dr. Cornelius

ORU will visit Springfield on Monday after opening the season in two contests where the Golden Eagles looked sub par.

I expect to see the Bears open as a 8-10 point favorite. Every game in the non conference is a chance to improve and hopefully the team can finish in the top half of the Summit... but after the first two games that looks like a much more difficult task.

Some things I would like to see Monday:

• Rebounding and toughness
  • Playing through Jones in the post
  • McBride to break out of his slump (shooting below 20% currently)
  • FREE THROWS 😵‍💫
  • Upvote 3

I watched Mo. State the other night when they played WVU in Morgantown.  It was WVU’s first game post Huggy era.  MSU played WVU a lot closer than the final score.  There was a big crowd on hand to watch the first game without Bob Huggins on the bench.  I am not sure if the Bears are that good or the Mounties are that bad.  However, based upon our performance so far, we better show up to play a complete game.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ORU82 said:

I am not sure if the Bears are that good or the Mounties are that bad.  However, based upon our performance so far, we better show up to play a complete game.

Hard to say, WVU did lose to Monmouth yesterday.

Whatever the case is Missouri St. will be a difficult contest. Winning on the road is always difficult and the team doesn't seem to be clicking yet.

• Upvote 1

My (random) observations from last night’s game and some suggestions - which mirror what others have said:

• McBride looks tight. He needs to loosen up and not think too much. We need his scoring. I also think he needs to not run the point; Isaac is better catching & shooting 
  • We seemed distracted/almost lethargic at times last night. Several lazy passes that resulted in turnovers. The guys have to dial up the intensity. 
  • I think our three returning guys (Weaver, Thompson and McBride) are still trying to mesh together (define their roles) - along with their teammates. We need McBride to find his shooting touch. 
  • Everyone needs to place more effort on grabbing rebounds. Put a body on someone and fight for the rebound. 
  • Jones is a nice player for freshman. I wish we would have seen him post up a few times, get him the ball and then take a shot. 
  • The two new guards are nice additions… especially Bradford. His put back dunk late in the game was really helpful. Both play decent defense. 
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:
  • MADE FREE THROWS 😵‍💫

Great observations Doc. I made one small edit. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

My (random) observations from last night’s game and some suggestions - which mirror what others have said:

• The two new guards are nice additions… especially Bradford. His put back dunk late in the game was really helpful. Both play decent defense. 

Bedford is a nice addition, too.  😀

1 hour ago, ORUJason said:

Bedford is a really solid contributor. 👍🏻

He's not a bad JUCO pickup, huh?? 😄  Seriously, he has been a great addition to the team.

Something is up with his free throw shooting though.  Last year, he was 85% from the line and this year is 50%.  Hopefully that will correct itself quickly.

• Like 1

So, it sounds like Demari Williams and Pablo Navarro are injured, and Ashton Smith has eligibility issues that may cost him the season.  We also haven't seen BYU transfer Braedon Moore on the floor yet.  Since he hasn't been mentioned in an injury report, has anyone heard anything on his status?  

Without those four, this team has serious height, depth and defensive issues which is NOT a winning trifecta.  The starting lineup has logged 80% of all minutes played in the first two games, which is not sustainable over the course of the season. Issac, DJ and Kareem have spent a combined TEN minutes on the bench over two games. Is there help on the horizon, or is this the team we have???

• Upvote 2

The MSU Bears are -6.5 tonight......TheEagleman isn't doing much sports wagering any longer except for a few College Football and NFL parlays here and there for minimal $$$ to make it fun.....if I were wagering on this one tonight would have to take Missouri State and lay the points....I don't think the home that is THAT good but ORU just isn't playing well and as mentioned above we have a short bench....really need Williams and Navarro to get healthy and give the Good Guys some minutes.....Tonight will likely be something like MSU 75  ORU 66.....😬

12 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

The MSU Bears are -6.5 tonight...tonight will likely be something like MSU 75  ORU 66.....😬

Spot on:  Bears by 10-ish, and I would take the under on the total of 147 (Bears 74, Geagles 64).  #TrustTheProcess

Oooops.....line has dropped to 5.5.....somebody out there betting on ORU......the Under also sounds like a really good play tonight currently at 146.5......just for fun of course. TheEagleman not touching this game with a 10 foot pole.....😎

If we lose by anything less than 10 points, we probably should consider that a moral victory.  However, I hope that the guys that read this board will be motivated to focus on defense, free throws and rebounds and bring home a "W".

Live by the three, die by the three. 

ORU has made 32.8% of the three point attempts so far, but that is skewed by Mackey's 3 for 17 (16.3%).  If Issac had made threes at the same 40.8% rate as last season, ORU's overall percentage would be 40% (and the Eagles would be 2-0).  If ORU makes 40% of their threes tonight, they have a great chance to steal one on the road.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

So, it sounds like Demari Williams and Pablo Navarro are injured, and Ashton Smith has eligibility issues that may cost him the season.  We also haven't seen BYU transfer Braedon Moore on the floor yet.  Since he hasn't been mentioned in an injury report, has anyone heard anything on his status?  

Without those four, this team has serious height, depth and defensive issues which is NOT a winning trifecta.  The starting lineup has logged 80% of all minutes played in the first two games, which is not sustainable over the course of the season. Issac, DJ and Kareem have spent a combined TEN minutes on the bench over two games. Is there help on the horizon, or is this the team we have???

Need Demari back as soon as possible.

Outside of Smith who is probably ineligible until next year Williams would be the biggest help on both ends.

• Upvote 2

Good Guys need to get tough under the boards tonight image.png.c2b9303c24ddba19c9ff82382a46577d.png

• Upvote 3