Tracking ORU Portal Jumpers in '23-'24

Old Titan

Patrick Mwamba's early season averages for Loyola-Chocago (2-2)

• 5.3 points
  • 3.0 rebounds
  • 15 minutes per contest off the bench
  • 27% shooting

Hope that paltry NIL money was worth it... #smh 🤔

• Thanks 1

It is going to be harder for him to find a spot on an overseas pro team. Not a well thought out career move. 

Max and the Longhorns lost to defending national champs UCONN tonight but were missing a couple of their bigs.  Max struggled with 10 points on some poor shooting but did dish out 5 assists.  So, an up and down performance in the Garden tonight but of course the scouts will remember his big shot he hit to beat Louisville last night.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, Old Titan said:

Patrick Mwamba's early season averages for Loyola-Chocago (2-2)

• 5.3 points
  • 3.0 rebounds
  • 15 minutes per contest off the bench
  • 27% shooting

Hope that paltry NIL money was worth it... #smh 🤔

Something for all aspiring athletes to consider - short-term gain vs. long-term prospects.  Good example is Issac McBride.  He understood that his time had come to lead and exhibit his skills, regardless of the short-term NIL gain (or lack thereof).  Part of that was learned from his last two experiences with P5 schools and part of that was loyalty learned from watching Max. Future players coming through ORU from the portal must have an innate belief in themselves and their skills that can be developed through playing time rather than the short-term money (which is minimal) through any NIL play.  Players at a mid-major need to be playing the "long game" rather than the short-term gains that NIL provides some players.

As for Patrick and Connor, Patrick needed to get money back to his family in Africa - I get that - but Vanover was probably reading the tea leaves and realized that his money was greater at a P5 school than the money he would (EVER!!) make overseas or in the G League.  Don't get me wrong....I love Connor's contributions to the ORU program (albeit only one season), but his game was made for our level where he could get more court time to develop and shine.

We may not be able to keep some of our guys (i.e., Isaac, et al) for the next season, but at least we have provided them with a platform to perform and contribute.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

Something for all aspiring athletes to consider - short-term gain vs. long-term prospects.  Good example is Issac McBride.  He understood that his time had come to lead and exhibit his skills, regardless of the short-term NIL gain (or lack thereof).  Part of that was learned from his last two experiences with P5 schools and part of that was loyalty learned from watching Max. Future players coming through ORU from the portal must have an innate belief in themselves and their skills that can be developed through playing time rather than the short-term money (which is minimal) through any NIL play.  Players at a mid-major need to be playing the "long game" rather than the short-term gains that NIL provides some players.

As for Patrick and Connor, Patrick needed to get money back to his family in Africa - I get that - but Vanover was probably reading the tea leaves and realized that his money was greater at a P5 school than the money he would (EVER!!) make overseas or in the G League.  Don't get me wrong....I love Connor's contributions to the ORU program (albeit only one season), but his game was made for our level where he could get more court time to develop and shine.

We may not be able to keep some of our guys (i.e., Isaac, et al) for the next season, but at least we have provided them with a platform to perform and contribute.

Those are great points, Bogus, and I wonder if at some time in the future, after the newness has worn off the whole portal concept players will begin to see the benefits of staying with one program and we'll see a reduction in the "fruit basket upset" drama that is controlling college basketball at this point. Maybe programs will develop incentives (other than NIL) to entice players to stay.

I think the pendulum almost always swings back the other way. (Can we say vinyl records?) What seems dated now (a player staying with one team for his entire college career) will no doubt become something attractive and appealing in the future. Loyalty matters.

What Issac decided was not just about basketball. It was a decision that came from his maturity and clear-headed thinking. He is a smart man who can see the big picture--who can see that his future includes more than basketball. It is about being a person of integrity that others will admire and respect and look up to. A man who will mentor and influence many. I am excited to see where he goes and what he does when his time at ORU is over! Same with Max. Like Issac, he is extremely intelligent and able to make smart choices that will serve him well. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, titansforever said:

What Issac decided was not just about basketball. It was a decision that came from his maturity and clear-headed thinking. He is a smart man who can see the big picture--who can see that his future includes more than basketball. It is about being a person of integrity that others will admire and respect and look up to. A man who will mentor and influence many. I am excited to see where he goes and what he does when his time at ORU is over! Same with Max. Like Issac, he is extremely intelligent and able to make smart choices that will serve him well. 

We've met Isaac's mama, and I guarantee that her prayers and wise council played a major role in Isaac's decision-making process. She's a powerful woman of God!!

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

Those are great points, Bogus, and I wonder if at some time in the future, after the newness has worn off the whole portal concept players will begin to see the benefits of staying with one program and we'll see a reduction in the "fruit basket upset" drama that is controlling college basketball at this point. Maybe programs will develop incentives (other than NIL) to entice players to stay.

I wish that were the case, TMH, but I don't see it happening.  Money talks and people walk.  Gone are the days of celestial basketball palaces (with the exception of a few) and facilities that attract a kid from the streets and/or storied high school programs  and replaced with the chase for the highest bidder of their services.  We are in the phase of "free agency" and headed quickly to an employee/employer relationship among college athletes.  Pandora's box has been opened and there's no turning back to "the good ol' days".  

Also, family members are in these players' ears all the time.  They all want their kids to be happy and when they feel that they aren't being heard by the coach or getting the playing time that they deserve, those around the player are just wanting their kid to be happy and find a place that they belong. 

At ORU, we do provide a culture of belonging and a reason for a higher purpose, but for some players they need to find what works for them.  Hopefully we will find a few Isaac McBrides that want to make ORU home for them.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Hopefully we will find a few Isaac McBrides that want to make ORU home for them.

And, to give credit where credit is due (and has been acknowledged on this board many times), Max Abmases.

2 hours ago, titansforever said:

Same with Max. Like Issac, he is extremely intelligent and able to make smart choices that will serve him well. 

I agree with Bogus; the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's free agency and too easy to transfer now that you are eligible to play right away and don't have to sit out a year. 

Don't forget, there are a lot of reasons kids change schools good & bad -the 2 examples of good decision makers @titansforeveruses (and we would almost all agree on) are both transfers. Isaac signed with KU, transferred to Vandy and then came to ORU and Max is at his 2nd school in Texas. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting here watching equally bad Loyola and Tulsa in a 3-point pillow fight at the half at the Reynolds Center, and Patrick Mwamba hasn't even seen the floor for the Ramblers - and they've played 10 guys!

Can't imagine he's enjoying that cold Chicago weather much, riding the bench when he could be starting at ORU, or at the very least playing significant minutes off the bench. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Sitting here watching equally bad Loyola and Tulsa in a 3-point pillow fight at the half at the Reynolds Center, and Patrick Mwamba hasn't even seen the floor for the Ramblers - and they've played 10 guys!

Can't imagine he's enjoying that cold weather up there much, riding the bench when he could be starting at ORU, or at the very least playing significant minutes off the bench. 

It would sure seem that his transfer was a mistake - although I guess we don't really know his motivation . . .

He left an opportunity for significant PT and an adoring fan base.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Can't imagine he's enjoying that cold Chicago weather much, riding the bench when he could be starting at ORU, or at the very least playing significant minutes off the bench. 

he stayed in Chicago due to illness....

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

he stayed in Chicago due to illness....

Thanks for the clarification - I looked everywhere for news re: his status before posting; I even looked at the game thread on their fan forum at halftime for any clues. No mention of Patrick one way or the other.

I’ve been told he was sold quite the bill of goods to transfer there; re: everything from his playing time to his NIL money. Sadly, nothing has been delivered as promised. 

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Thanks for the clarification - I looked everywhere for news re: his status before posting; I even looked at the game thread on their fan forum at halftime for any clues. No mention of Patrick one way or the other.

I’ve been told he was sold quite the bill of goods to transfer there; re: everything from his playing time to his NIL money. Sadly, nothing has been delivered as promised. 

I would bet that he is still getting his NIL money.  That was his main motivation in the beginning, but he was promised a significant role on the team, too.  As it is, he is playing less minutes, and has worse stats, than when he started out at UTA.  Must be very disappointing for him, but I would think that he still has a future in pro ball overseas.

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I love the "3-point pillow fight" line. I guess without Patrick there you endured the Reynolds Center for no good reason!

Watching the report on the news, it looked like there were a lot of empty seats at the Reynolds.

• Haha 1

I watched the end of Max's game last night vs. Marquette. He and his team got squashed. Defense was tight. Max was not their go-to. They have a lot of bigger, taller players. But it was fun to see Max!