Tracking ORU Portal Jumpers in '23-'24

Old Titan

In honor of his height, Connor taking advantage of the new NCAA rule re: uniform numbers; allowing digits 6, 7, 8, and 9 when previously players have been restricted to digits 0-thru-5 (so refs could use the fingers on each hand to designate the jersey number to the scorer's tabler when someone fouls).

More trivia:  back in the day, it used to be a technical foul if a player whistled for a foul failed to raise his hand above his head in the direction of the scorer's table. 🤓

• Upvote 2

Texas struggled in their exhibition game versus D2 St. Edward's team last night and even trailed by 7 at halftime.  Max did hit some shots coming out of the locker room that helped the Longhorns come back and win easily.  For the night, Midcourt Max had 18 points and 3 assists.  

I watched maybe 10-15 minutes of the game on Youtube and the thing that struck me is that Max is just another guy at Texas.  They have 3 players that are just as good as him and he is not their #1 option.  Now Max is still a good player but he was not the main guy, as we watched for the last 3 years at ORU.  It was a little odd seeing Max in a new uniform.

Wish Max and Vanover had stayed at ORU for one more......we would be REALLY GOOD.....:oru:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Great quote about Max from college hoops guru Seth Davis:

I am all in on Max Abmas. It’s not just how good he is, it’s the role they need him to play. He’s a college-level version of Stephen Curry, an elite bucket getter who can also set up his teammates. I know Mitchell has questions about him as a future pro, but he did get invited to the draft combine, and most guys who cross that threshold stay in the draft no matter what feedback they’re getting. The fact that he came back to Austin shows me he’s mature as well as talented. As long as he sticks to what he does best, he’s going to have a great year.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:45 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

Texas struggled in their exhibition game versus D2 St. Edward's team last night and even trailed by 7 at halftime.  Max did hit some shots coming out of the locker room that helped the Longhorns come back and win easily.  For the night, Midcourt Max had 18 points and 3 assists.  

I watched maybe 10-15 minutes of the game on Youtube and the thing that struck me is that Max is just another guy at Texas.  They have 3 players that are just as good as him and he is not their #1 option.  Now Max is still a good player but he was not the main guy, as we watched for the last 3 years at ORU.  It was a little odd seeing Max in a new uniform.

Max is the ultimate team player. He does whatever he is asked to do. Asked to be the go-to guy, he led the nation in scoring. Asked to be in a rotation, he will make plays and win games. He will work his rear-end off and play with great intelligence. His intellect and court savvy are assets any coach would love. He doesn't have to score at Texas, but if his number is called, he will deliver.

• Upvote 3

I've seen this replay at least 100 times since the night it happened, and it Never. Gets. Old. 🐐

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I've seen this replay at least 100 times since the night it happened, and it Never. Gets. Old. 🐐

Always love the referee's "punch out" after the ball goes through the net.  I think he enjoyed that as much as the fans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

With ORU's season getting underway tonight, I personally would not have a problem with this thread being moved to the "NCAA and Summit" forum as well... #justsayin'

• Haha 2

Patrick Mwamba with 6 pts and 4 boards in 16 minutes for Loyola-Chicago in their opening night loss to FAU.

If we still had Mwamba we could have handled the Josh Jones foul trouble and would have beat UT Arlington IMHO.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

If we still had Mwamba we could have handled the Josh Jones foul trouble and would have beat UT Arlington IMHO.

🎯

Re: Max.

NO. 18 TEXAS 86, DELAWARE ST. 59: Max Abmas scored 19 points, Ithiel Horton added 18 and No. 18 Texas used a flurry of 3-pointers in a 27-2 run midway through the second half to win at home.

• Upvote 3

first action of the year following a three game suspension for participating in Portsmouth over the summer....

On 11/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, ORUalum said:

first action of the year following a three game suspension for participating in Portsmouth over the summer....

Should have stayed at ORU 🏀😦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1