2023-24 Roster

ORUalum

Omaha is going to be much better next year.  They return 8 out of their top 9 guys and Coach Crutch and the former ORU guys are building a solid foundation in Omaha.  ORU, Omaha, and North Dakota are most likely the second level teams next year battling for 3-5 in the Summit League play.

47 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I think 3rd to 4th preseason is reasonable depending on who they get with the last scholarship. 

All depends on the 5 spot

If we are 3rd or 4th at the end of next year, that will be a terrible result. 

In my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

All depends on the 5 spot

Always a possibility that freshman Josh Jones could see (has been promised?) significant minutes at the 5.

Dude is a 3-star big body out of Texas with offers from Tulsa, New Mexico, Missouri State, Drexel and Cal State Fullerton, among other D1's.

Curious to see what he can do with ORU's experienced backcourt setting the table.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Plus, now ORU has the brand new Mike Carter athletic center.  Talk about unlimited resources to help players develop! If that does not motivate the guys to get better then I am not sure what will.  Most of them have never had a place like that to practice and work out, except for maybe the guy from the Big Ten conference, Jalen Miller.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

The roster is now complete with the addition of Smith.  I like the guards and wings but the frontline is very young with Herron being the only big with D1 experience.  Hard to know how they will pan out this season: will Smith be rusty after missing two years and how will the freshman contribute (Jones and Moore).  Time will tell.

This coming year we have 6 players who played at power 5 schools. I don’t recall having this much talent in years past on one team. If these players are developed quickly which I suspect they will in my opinion we have a real shot at being back in the big dance next spring! The next phase in ORU basketball is to reload each year with good talent and an expectation to make the tournament each year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

This coming year we have 6 players who played at power 5 schools. I don’t recall having this much talent in years past on one team. If these players are developed quickly which I suspect they will in my opinion we have a real shot at being back in the big dance next spring! The next phase in ORU basketball is to reload each year with good talent and an expectation to make the tournament each year.

Now that we are in the era of NIL and the portal, reloading may be a common occurrence for ORU basketball; however, our culture is unique and probably cannot be replicated by many schools. We have an opportunity to be a great athletic program for the future.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1. DJ Weaver
  2. Kareem Thompson
  3. Issac McBride
  4. Trey Phipps
  5. Jalen Miller (Transfer - Rutgers)
  6. Jailen Bedford (JUCO)
  7. Sir Issac Herron
  8. Ashton Smith (Transfer - Texas A&M)
  9. Demari Williams
  10. Cam Amboree
  11. Braedon Moore (Transfer - BYU)
  12. Josh Jones
  13. Pablo Navarro (ESP)
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone know anything about a guy named Caleb being on the team?.  Looking at Jalen Miller's Instagram account, he posted a video where he tagged an Instagram account named @dripy.caleb.  Caleb has 0 posts, but his bio says @orumbb, and he's being followed by Kareem, CV, Cam, Lufile, Max, Carlos, and a dozen other of our current and past players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORob2 said:

Does anyone know anything about a guy named Caleb being on the team?.  Looking at Jalen Miller's Instagram account, he posted a video where he tagged an Instagram account named @dripy.caleb.  Caleb has 0 posts, but his bio says @orumbb, and he's being followed by Kareem, CV, Cam, Lufile, Max, Carlos, and a dozen other of our current and past players.

Student manager

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:
  1. DJ Weaver
  2. Kareem Thompson
  3. Issac McBride
  4. Trey Phipps
  5. Jalen Miller (Transfer - Rutgers)
  6. Jailen Bedford (JUCO)
  7. Sir Issac Herron
  8. Ashton Smith (Transfer - Texas A&M)
  9. Demari Williams
  10. Cam Amboree
  11. Braedon Moore (Transfer - BYU)
  12. Josh Jones
  13. Pablo Navarro (ESP)

The ORU Athletics roster shows 14 players. Your list does not include Elijah Lawrence, who has been on the team since 2021. 

1 hour ago, Dave Connor said:

The ORU Athletics roster shows 14 players. Your list does not include Elijah Lawrence, who has been on the team since 2021. 

Actually, the roster on the ORU Men's Basketball website does not yet include Ashton Smith, but does include Jake Shannon and Elijah Lawrence. My guess is:

• The list that ORUAlumn provided includes only the 13 scholarship players, so Lawrence and Shannon are walk-ons.
  • The website roster has not yet added Smith. 

Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Probably, Ashton is at practice at the end of that Orumbb Facebook video that was posted today, so he’s there with the team already

• Like 1

The roster has 7 returning guys and 6 new faces, so a nice mixture of new and old.  Some questions to get the discussion going: who do you think might be a redshirt player and who will step up and rebound?  Kareem is the only real rebounder coming back (5 a game).

During his freshman season, Sir Issac Herron demonstrated potential as a rebounder. He only played a total of 143 minutes, but had 46 rebounds. After red-shirting last season, I suspect that this season he will contribute valuable minutes to the team in several areas, including rebounding.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I would guess they redshirt Navarro, as he gets used to D1 style of play compared to Euro ball and living in America (new culture).  I do like the fact that he is 6'6 and 205, meaning Navarro already has the build for the 3/wing spot.  Carlos came in at 175 and it took him 2-3 years to get to 200.  So Navarro is ahead of the game.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1