2023-24 Roster

ORUalum

Now that some old familiar faces have returned.  Any chance Carlos might come back with his friends or is he for sure going to play over in Europe?

if they get CV back, i like ORU's chances of competing w/SDSU next year. 

what's the buzz around 7777 S Lewis?  any chance at all???

On 5/4/2023 at 11:58 AM, ORUalum said:

if they get CV back, i like ORU's chances of competing w/SDSU next year. 

what's the buzz around 7777 S Lewis?  any chance at all???

Done with college, signed with an agent.

• Thanks 1

I am glad that we have Trey, KT and DJ coming back along with the others who never entered the portal. As much as I love Carlos and CV, there needs to be a "cleaning of the pipeline for  he other guys who have been recruited to develop and see court time. I do hope Springmann's staff can recruit a tall, big body that can mash and control the boards, a la Lufile. 

Losing Max, CV, Carlos and Patrick means ORU lost 52 points, 21 rebounds, 8 assists and 4 blocks from last year.  It is a chance for everyone on the new roster to improve.  The Eagles need DJ and Kareem to have breakout super senior years and also for Sir Isaac and Williams to go to the next level.  It is a lot to replace but now the Eagles can hopefully see potential turned into results (role players improving to starter level).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

ORU 23-24 Roster Predictions:

Starting Five:

PG - McBride

SG - Miller

SF - Thompson

PF - Weaver

C - Moore

Sixth Man 

G - Williams

G - Phipps

F - Herron

The rest of the Bench

We are guard heavy bench wise but most won’t play. Williams can of course play between SG & SF when Thompson & Miller need time to rest. Amoboree will need to step it up at the guard position as he will mainly be more for creating plays and taking shots when needed. Herron will be valuable off the bench. 

Also - Miller could also run PG and have Williams and Thompson split time at the SG position. 

Edited by ORUFanbase

9 hours ago, ORUFanbase said:

ORU 23-24 Roster Predictions:

Starting Five:

PG - McBride

SG - Miller

SF - Thompson

PF - Weaver

C - Moore

Sixth Man 

G - Williams

G - Phipps

F - Herron

The rest of the Bench

We are guard heavy bench wise but most won’t play. Williams can of course play between SG & SF when Thompson & Miller need time to rest. Amoboree will need to step it up at the guard position as he will mainly be more for creating plays and taking shots when needed. Herron will be valuable off the bench. 

Also - Miller could also run PG and have Williams and Thompson split time at the SG position. 

It is WAY too early to start to predict a starting lineup, especially when there’s still a lot of work to be done in filling out the roster.  That said, I would be STUNNED if either Miller or Moore cracks the starting lineup, especially early in the season.  Neither of them has earned significant playing time at their former school, nor have the experience in a new system (for them).  

• Like 1

1. DJ Weaver
  2. Kareem Thompson
  3. Issac McBride
  4. Trey Phipps
  5. Jalen Miller (Transfer - Rutgers)
  6. Sir Issac Herron
  7. Demari Williams
  8. Cam Amboree
  9. Braedon Moore (Transfer - BYU)
  10. Josh Jones
  11. Pablo Navarro (ESP)
  • Upvote 1

Here is my take on the roster thus far: outside of Weaver, McBride , Thompson and Phipps we have a lot of young players with little playing experience. We don't have an experienced big man that can battle inside. If Springman doesn't get some key players with the remaining scholarships left we will be in for a long rebuilding year. The only exception to this would be if Moore and Miller step up big quickly and if Herron and Williams vastly improve. I think Cam is a year or so away from helping us much. As positive as I like to stay being based in reality is important. I'm really hoping some good surprises await us all next season. We have all gotten used to feasting on steak but right now ground round is where we are at.

• Upvote 1

So far, Coach Springmann is building a roster that is more long term than just winning next year.  Of course he wants to win next year but he knows it will take some time to bring in the players that fit his system.  Miller is most likely the one guy that is ready to help right away as he has two years experience at the Power 5 level.  He may not be a big scorer but he will do the hard parts (defense, setting up teammates, etc) that help a team to improve or hopefully win some games.  Coach has been solid in building this roster but could use one home run in the final two spots (starting center).

43 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Here is my take on the roster thus far: outside of Weaver, McBride , Thompson and Phipps we have a lot of young players with little playing experience. We don't have an experienced big man that can battle inside. If Springman doesn't get some key players with the remaining scholarships left we will be in for a long rebuilding year. The only exception to this would be if Moore and Miller step up big quickly and if Herron and Williams vastly improve. I think Cam is a year or so away from helping us much. As positive as I like to stay being based in reality is important. I'm really hoping some good surprises await us all next season. We have all gotten used to feasting on steak but right now ground round is where we are at.

You are 100% right on this, but what is wild is that I think we are still the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference! With the exception of SDSU, everyone lost talent or is still a young team that needs experience (UND).

30 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

So far, Coach Springmann is building a roster that is more long term than just winning next year.  Of course he wants to win next year but he knows it will take some time to bring in the players that fit his system.  Miller is most likely the one guy that is ready to help right away as he has two years experience at the Power 5 level.  He may not be a big scorer but he will do the hard parts (defense, setting up teammates, etc) that help a team to improve or hopefully win some games.  Coach has been solid in building this roster but could use one home run in the final two spots (starting center).

Honestly, I think the final two spots both need to be bigs. A senior transfer  or juco who can play the 5 and another rotational piece as I don’t think Jones will be ready for big minutes.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Honestly, I think the final two spots both need to be bigs. A senior transfer  or juco who can play the 5 and another rotational piece as I don’t think Jones will be ready for big minutes.

Agree with this. The upcoming season depends on landing a 5.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, eagle88 said:

After seeing Cam in limited action this year, I have a feeling he will come into his own sooner than later. He seems to have a good head and plays quick - and he's very athletic. Hope I'm not wrong, but I think he has the potential to be a significant contributor as we roll into conference play.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

After seeing Cam in limited action this year, I have a feeling he will come into his own sooner than later. He seems to have a good head and plays quick - and he's very athletic. Hope I'm not wrong, but I think he has the potential to be a significant contributor as we roll into conference play.

His body needs to get stronger in order to handle the rigors of D1 competition.  Hopefully this summer will bring about 10-15 pounds onto that frame of his.

• Upvote 1