2023-24 Roster

ORUalum

I really like Cam and think he has a ton of potential. My biggest question with Cam is will he put in the work to reach his potential. Max put in the work and reached his potential. Hopefully Max rubbed off on him. As a junior player Cam was touted as a Steph Curry type player and received a lot of accolades. Those days are over and now he has to put the work in all areas! Let’s do it Cam! We need you!

ORU is going to need McBride, Kareem and DJ to be a three headed monster early in the season until the other guys can kind of develop into their roles.  McBride will be the quarterback/all star but Kareem and DJ will need to move from role players to leaders.  They were both on the Sweet 16 team and have a lot of experience.  The only question is can they make that jump in 23-24?

Kareem should have no problem as he is such an all round player that just needs to score more for the Eagles next year.  DJ is the concern because oftentimes last year Coach said in interviews that he had to motivate him to play with more fire.  DJ is known for his 3s and the athletic ability to block shots. Can DJ play with that fire like we saw versus Duke, Houston and SDSU at home on a consistent basis?  

1. DJ Weaver
  2. Kareem Thompson
  3. Issac McBride
  4. Trey Phipps
  5. Jalen Miller (Transfer - Rutgers)
  6. Jailen Bedford (JUCO)
  7. Sir Issac Herron
  8. Demari Williams
  9. Cam Amboree
  10. Braedon Moore (Transfer - BYU)
  11. Josh Jones
  12. Pablo Navarro (ESP)

13 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

image.thumb.png.3ef0b9e92ec577af9b098b5147f8cb6a.png

Only one other D1 offer it looks like. Not a whole lot out there on him. 

Looks like a really good shooter with a little bit of height. Could be a nice pickup. 

24 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Only one other D1 offer it looks like. Not a whole lot out there on him. 

Looks like a really good shooter with a little bit of height. Could be a nice pickup. 

44.2% from three is impressive, though I'm guessing as a juco player he did not see the greatest defenses night in and night out.  Still, at 6'4" (if accurate) he should be able to get his shot off over smaller perimeter players.

He should be a guy who can come off the bench and give ORU some instant offense.  Bedford is from the Austin area near Josh Jones.  No surprise, another Texas recruit.  

No offense to him but it shows that the Eagles swung and missed on some other shooting guards from the portal.  This is the first juco player that ORU has gone after since Kareem in 2020.  Still need a big with the final roster spot.

Things to like from last season’s stats:

16.6 Ppg, starting in 27 of 30 games, so he obviously knows how to score.  

47% of his shots taken were from beyond the arc, so he should fit in well with our offensive approach.

He also got to the FT line 124 times during the season (1 for every 3 FG attempts) and knocked down 86% of them. 

Concerns from the stat line:  

Assist/Turnover ratio of 0.6.  He will definitely need to clean this up if he wants to earn playing time at the D1 level. 

Fun fact: Bedford played on a team last year that went 23-8 and made the NJCAA National Tournament (similar to the big dance but only has 32 teams).  So he is used to being on winning teams.

I would imagine he would battle Trey for that back up shooting guard role.  He is not ranked on the top 100 Juco list but then again neither was Kareem and he turned out ok.😁!

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

He should be a guy who can come off the bench and give ORU some instant offense. 

How anyone can predict right now whether a newcomer might come off the bench or start is beyond me.

And even if one guy is starting in November while another guy is way down the bench, who's to say they might not switch places by March.

Let's just see how this all plays out re: the newcomers, shall we?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Let's just see how this all plays out re: the newcomers, shall we?

If we are denied the opportunity to speculate, it will be a LONG six months until November.  

I don’t have that many haikus. 😉

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

If we are denied the opportunity to speculate, it will be a LONG six months until November.  

I don’t have that many haikus. 😉

Predicting line-ups

Before the roster is done

Requires crystal balls

😳

Seems like a good pickup but he’s about 5 inches shorter then I was hoping our next signing would be….

We still have 1 spot left and it is crucial to find a big who can play meaningful minutes. Literally, Weaver is the only post on the team who has any experience at the D1 level. I guess we could rotate DJ, Herron, and Josh Jones at the 5 with Kareem, Williams, and Braedon Moore at the 4 spots but that group is an injury away from disaster.

In order to be competitive this year our team has player development written all over it!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

In order to be competitive this year our team has player development written all over it!

Competitive? This team has potentially two 1st team all conference players on it in McBride and Thompson. And a potential 2nd Teamer in Weaver. You only need 7 players to win a conference. 

McBride
Thompson
Weaver
Herron
Miller
Phipps
Need 1 more big to play heavy minutes. The rest of the players can develop without needing much out of them in actual game time. Develop for 2024-25 when we potentially could lose a lot from that top list. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Competitive? This team has potentially two 1st team all conference players on it in McBride and Thompson. And a potential 2nd Teamer in Weaver. You only need 7 players to win a conference. 

McBride
Thompson
Weaver
Herron
Miller
Phipps
Need 1 more big to play heavy minutes. The rest of the players can develop without needing much out of them in actual game time. Develop for 2024-25 when we potentially could lose a lot from that top list. 

I think you are right, the core of the team is still solid! It’s nice to see some outsiders giving ORU some credit. This team is intriguing! 

• Upvote 1

Personal goals as a fan this season:

• Realistic expectations
  • Avoiding overreactions either way
  • Taking the long view re: improvement
  • More support vs. criticism of individual results
  • Celebrate all victories

But that's just me...to each his/her own. ✌🏻️

• Upvote 2

Just for fun or discussion does this team (23-24) possibly remind anyone of the 07-08 that had just lost superstars Tutt and Green?  That 07-08 team had some good role players returning and then Robert Jarvis (Juco guy) had a huge breakout season with 16 points a game.  Of course, they won 20 plus and made it to the NCAA tournament.